Should Shooting at a Running Herd of Elk be Illegal?

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

March 14, 2013
Should Shooting at a Running Herd of Elk be Illegal? - 9

For most of us, shooting at a running herd of elk doesn't equate to a high-percentage shot. And, depending on the circumstances, it could be a downright unethical shot. But should it be illegal?

Grand Teton National Park is approaching this issue with a new regulation. Each year the park holds a restricted hunt to curb its elk population. Next season it will ban hunters from taking more than one shot at a herd of running elk.

The hope is that this one-shot rule will prevent hunters from wounding elk and creating unnecessary run-ins with grizzlies. Last year hunters killed a grizzly in the park out of self defense. The park will also limit hunters to no more than seven cartridges a day.

This from JHnewsandguide.com: "The ammunition limit mirrors restrictions on the nearby elk refuge, which also holds an annual hunt to cull the herd. Limiting hunters to a single shot at a herd of running elk will reduce the potential for 'wounding loss,' the park said in announcing the program.

'It’s a way to make a hunter slow down, focus on a single animal,' park spokeswoman Jackie Skaggs said."

So what do you think Newshounders? Is this a solid regulation? Or should we be allowed to make this decision in the field, individually?

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

Sounds like a great law to me.and just what we need is another law thats up to another indiviual to decide if it's been broken or not.Next thing we need is a law saying the animal can't be walking to fast or must be at a standstill with all four feet on the ground at once.So while one animal's life is equal to anothers then shooting at running rabbits or flying game seems to be another good logical law to establish.WHY don;t we just keep making up more laws so people can follow like sheep to the slaughter.?

from Camohat wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

Hey, Schmakenzie- Not sure what shooting at a running pheasant has to do with proposed laws dealing with wounding rates on running elk. Besides that, very few states besides Kansas have laws on the books that even mention shooting pheasants on the ground. Is it unethical? Yes. Is it illegal? Not in most states. Why don’t you go back to hiding behind your computer to give out your indiscriminate -1’s. You seem to really enjoy that little game.

from bberg7794 wrote 1 year 4 weeks ago

Flock shooting is a very bad idea when hunting birds and is even worse regarding big game. You are begging to wound an animal. Unethical period!

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

It's illegal to shoot at a running pheasant. The bullet limit is interesting, is that based on enough left over to bring down the charging bear behind you? You are limiting the hunter self defense in an environment where it could be needed. Just saying.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

I don't think this new law is a good idea, but not because I think it's okay to shoot at a herd of running elk. I just don't like more government intervention.
As far as shooting at running game goes, I think it's only borderline ethical when it's a lone animal, and it definitely not ethical if it's a group of animals. I personally do not shoot at animals moving faster than a walk, and then only at close range, but that's just me.

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Hi...

I can understand the "one shot only toward a herd". However, the seven bullet limit seems like it might be tough...if not impossible...to enforce.

from HuskerHunterFisher wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Personally, I think that taking a shot at a running animal is risky enough when it's the only animal, let alone when its part of a herd. Taking a running shot at a single animal in a group is just asking for trouble and, I believe, is irresponsible. I would hope that a hunter's common sense would prevail and that such restrictions would be unnecessary, but unfortunately there are always people who lack common sense. The 7-cartridge limit might seem intrusive, but honestly if you need more than 7 shots to kill an elk, you shouldn't be hunting until you learn better shot selection.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

I think it's a bad call. Admittedly out here I've rarely, but sometimes seen more than a handful of deer herding together, and I'm not up to great shots on the run. I have taken them as follow-ups on an animal I've already hit, and I think that's appropriate.
I see restricting the amount of ammo being a bigger problem. I do have the mindset that if I've missed twice in a day, I should probably check my rifle before I fire a third time. However, limiting amount of ammo can cause some unintended safety issues both from a defensive and maybe more importantly, a signalling perspective.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

Hunters should always make ethical decisions in the field and not shoot at any target they're not 100% certain of. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen, but this restriction does seem a bit much. Telling hunters how much ammo they can carry in the field?

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago