The Case Of The Severed Grizzly Bear Head

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

September 06, 2013
The Case Of The Severed Grizzly Bear Head - 7

Minnesota Wild defenseman Clayton Stoner is under fire after a picture of him hoisting the severed head of a grizzly bear appeared online.” NBCnews.com

Wait…what?

In what may be the most hysterically ludicrous “news” story of the week comes word that Minnesota Wild defenseman Clayton Stoner is taking some heat from animal activists after pictures of him with a trophy grizzly bear he killed appeared online.

Stoner killed – legally and with all permits – the bear last May.  Pictures of him, according to some press outlets, "holding its severed head and paws" appeared shortly thereafter.  The 6'4", 213-pound enforcer issued a statement this week in response to the uproar over his trophy saying that hunting is a tradition for him and that he has absolutely no plans to stop.

Good for you Clayton.

Clayton isn’t the only NHL player to boast of his hunting exploits and catch fire for it.  Vancouver Canucks left wing David Booth also was the target of anti-hunting groups after he also posted a picture of himself with a trophy bear.

We need more athletes to boast of their love of hunting, don’t you think? In fact, we’d like to go hunting or fishing with them.

Comment below!

from superdough wrote 31 weeks 3 days ago

@Josh Lambert, 'the locals have a ban on bear trophy hunting'??? Please site your reference. Probably, you're just a troll who hates hunting.

FYI, Real hunters don't always eat what they hunt. In this case, a bear is a predator. I have never eaten anything I have hunted on a predator hunt, nor have I eaten prairie dogs, even though they are a lot of fun to hunt. I would consider any bobcat and prairie dog hunter a 'real hunter'.

from Daxx Vondrachen wrote 31 weeks 4 days ago

Obama needs to issue a military strike and deployment for bear rights violations from slaughtering innocent grizzlies but the UN may not approve it

from mcallia wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

@JM I find the image you use for your Avatar much more SCARY than a decapitated grizz head!

from Josh Lambert wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

When I enjoy the wilderness, I always make sure to respect local laws and customs. This guy didn't do that - the locals where he was have a ban on bear trophy hunting and he blatantly ignored it. He deserves what he's getting online and in the press.

Also, real hunters eat what they kill. This guy to me seems like a showoff trying to compensate for his failure to win real trophies.

from huntfishtrap wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

I obviously think him hunting is great, but given the amount of crazy people online, I personally would never post a trophy shot on the internet, unless it was strictly a hunting-related site.

from JM wrote 31 weeks 6 days ago

The pictures I've seen do not look bad at all. Looks like he had enough respect to clean off any blood and had the mouth shut(no tongue dangling out).

from MazPower wrote 31 weeks 6 days ago

I have some friends who regularly hunt with Karl Malone. From what I hear he's a fairly impressive hunter and has given LOTS of $ to hunting and conservation. I just wish he was more vocal and visible when it comes to supporting hunting.

from superdough wrote 31 weeks 3 days ago