The Pre-rut is On!

October 15, 2010
The Pre-rut is On! - 7

Heads-up. I’m taking a break from my real-time hunt for a possible world-record buck to give you this report: The pre-rut is kicking in.

Here in Missouri both Grant Woods and I saw juvenile bucks pushing does today. And back in Montana, my buddies are reporting that little cheeky bucks are starting to hassle old dull-eyed does.

In a remote soybean field here in the Mississippi River valley, I saw the most conclusive evidence that the pre-rut is starting: yearling fawns running around like caffeinated kids at a daycare.

The minute we get a break in the weather — it’s been scorching hot through much of the Mississippi and Ohio river valleys — and a cold front drops the temperatures you’re going to see bucks really start to get wild-eyed.

This is the time to start pulling out the stops. Rattling will be a very effective tactic from now through mid November. Grunting will be better later on, but you might throw in a few grunts as you rattle.

It’s a good time to start really watching funnels and travel corridors. The big boys won’t get into the action for another week or 10 days, but post up on fence crossings and pinch points. You’re going to start to see a lot more harried-looking does and a lot more roaming bucks.

Photo by: Emery Orlikowski

from FULL RUT wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

well its opening day here in ms and the pre rut is on hard
I saw juvenile bucks pushing one doe today then had 5 juvenile bucks came in at different times running around smelling where that doe came through no big boys yet all where 1 1/2 to 2 years old i got down at 11:20am and the deer where still on the move

from HuntingEditor wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

Hey guys - awesome updates. Keep 'em coming. I'm back in Montana, and I've been hitting the last few days of the archery deer season hard. It's definitely go time. Classic pre-rut behavior, with juvenile bucks getting things all stirred up, sparring in little knots of twos, threes and fours, and pushing does. The bigger bucks are hanging on the periphery of herds. Tonight I saw four mature bucks sparring in the timber, but they didn't join the larger herd of feeding does and younger bucks until well after legal light.

crazy canuck, the photo of the shed (with me in the yellow shirt), the shed measures 94 inches, and with a couple deductions nets 92.

I'll be posting my wrap-up from Missouri tomorrow. I'm taking a little time off from whitetails to chase elk, then I'll be back in the thick of things with Montana's rifle opener next Saturday.

Let's hear rut reports from around the continent!

Andrew McKean

from crazy canuck wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

Starting to see hints of the pre-rut up here in saskatchewan as well. Andrew, what are the scores of the two mega sheds you've shown from Missouri?

from LFS 10 wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

The season opened this morning here in NY and I had a fork horn chase a doe under my stand. Definitely a good way to start the season!

from pjsabella wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

Not so much here in NJ yet. Still in bachelor groups and still no doe chasing. Rubs and scrapes are starting to appear though. The rut is in the air

from sbemke wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Shot a doe with my bow this week in Missouri after a couple young bucks chased and dogged her right in front of my stand. It's go time for the big boys now!

from coldwarrior wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

From Wisconsin, I concur. Saw 2 young bucks "herding" a doe. Also within 1 week have noticed dozens of small territorial scrapes where there were none last Saturday.

from coldwarrior wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from sbemke wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from pjsabella wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

from LFS 10 wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

from crazy canuck wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

from HuntingEditor wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

Let's hear rut reports from around the continent!

Andrew McKean