Are Two Heads Better Than One?

Strut Zone Recent Posts

Strut Zone

February 06, 2009
Are Two Heads Better Than One? - 9

Do you Strut Zoners use turkey decoys? Do you carry just a hen? How about a hen and jake combination for your setup? Well if you like the strategy of fooling spring gobblers with fakes, listen up.

One of the pleasures of hanging out at the SHOT Show every year is conversing with some of the best turkey hunters in the business. I caught up with Harold Knight and David Hale of Knight & Hale Game Calls fame, and here’s what they had to say about the new Carry-Lite Peep’n Tom & Pretty Penny Combo Pack:

“We were pleasantly surprised to see on hunts last year what putting two heads on a gobbler decoy could do,” Knight said, discussing Peep’n Tom prototype field testing to get it ready for release this year. The new scaled-down version (10% smaller than the Pretty Boy) includes two interchangeable gobbler heads. One can be staked through the body of the decoy ("the looker” as Knight says), while the other goes in the usual place.

“That’s where the name ‘Peep’n Tom’ comes from,” Hale added. "It’s made to look like there are two gobblers there — one looking over the other one.” One redder head, the so-called looker, is alert, maybe ready to fight, while the other whiter one appears ready to breed.

Realistic? Heck yeah. Decoy heads were molded from real freeze-dried gobbler heads. And that’s only part of this new Carry-Lite decoying system (carrylitedecoys.com).

A photo reproduction fantail is provided in the package, though a lot of turkey hunters will want to put a real fan in the slot. The synthetic beard is adjustable if you want to shorten it up and slide a jake fan in the back. You can keep the beard long or short.

And then there’s Pretty Penny. She’s also got two heads (to be used separately), one for if you want to put her in the breeding position on the ground, and one if you want to stake her in standing form.

Bodies for both are made from soft rubberized collapsible material for easy transport. An instructional DVD (two great hunts involving the new decoys where longbeards attack the fakes), and even a carry bag round out the deal.

You’ll want to use the Carry-Lite Peep’n Tom and Pretty Penny these ways: the Peep’n Tom with two heads, the decoy gobbler body with just one head (like the Pretty Boy setup), the Peep’n Tom with Pretty Penny (standing or squatting), or just the hen decoy alone (standing or squatting). Think of another? Let us know.

When would I use these dekes? On field hunts where I’ve roosted turkeys nearby, and in earshot of my calling. On bow hunts when I want to keep a strutter in place long enough to draw effectively.

from B. David Duncan wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I just wanted to thank all of you for trying out this new decoy. I am the artist who carved it for Knight and Hale, now sold through Carry-Lite Decoys. It was a very interested experience carving a piece like theis. Somethng that had never been done like this before.

After watching the video of a hunt using the decoy I was pleased even more to see that it worked so well. Thanks everyone...

from handicapped hunter wrote 5 years 20 weeks ago

ok im thinking if i was a turkey seen a two headed gobbler our hen id be outta there lol

from para454 wrote 5 years 20 weeks ago

Its great to have some up to date gear, but come on guys. What happened to plain old woodmanship and skilled calling? Plenty of birds have been taken w/o being a "Techno Turkey Hunter." Get in early, get in close, call em close. If they don't come in, save em for another day.

from Dirty wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

creeks.....lol

from Dirty wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I think one will do the trick...........

If the good Lords a willin and the cres dont rise..........
Dirty

from GerryBethge wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

Hey Dirty----Seriously? Think I'm going to have to get me a few.

from Dirty wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I tell ya, I'm a Knight and Hale fanatic! I watched some videos of this deke at work, the birds will just circle it. Nice job Steve.

from GerryBethge wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

Wow! Tell ya what? I'm a gear head anyway, but I'm DYING for spring to get here so that I can give this deke a shot. How wild is THAT? Way to dig Hickoff.

from Steve Hickoff wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

Hey guys,

The first two-headed image on this post gives you an idea of where to mount the side gobbler head on the stake. Know that you can turn it to face forward to look realistic. Watch the DVD provided with the Peep'n Tom & Pretty Penny combo pack and you'll see how it looks in action. When viewed from the other side, that second head appears to be looking -- peeping as Knight and Hale mention in my post. It's a pretty cool innovation. From a distance I'm sure it's even more convincing to approaching gobblers. The heads are sensational. And fight provoking in the DVD!

Steve Hickoff

from Steve Hickoff wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

Hey guys,

Steve Hickoff

from GerryBethge wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

from Dirty wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

from GerryBethge wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

Hey Dirty----Seriously? Think I'm going to have to get me a few.

from Dirty wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I think one will do the trick...........

If the good Lords a willin and the cres dont rise..........
Dirty