A New Girl in Town

Strut Zone Recent Posts

Strut Zone

January 14, 2011
A New Girl in Town - 8

My opening day 2010 Kentucky longbeard came running to the Avian X LCD prototype hen decoy. I can only imagine what the finished product will do.

That statement probably comes as a surprise to some of my longtime turkey buds. If my time wild turkey hunting proves anything, I'm not much of a decoy guy. Maybe I'm too much of a run-and-gun type. Maybe I just don't have much confidence in them. Maybe a little of both and then some. Sure, I've occasionally used them over the many years. I just tend not to ...

Still, when you drop a big Bluegrass longbeard with sharp spurs over a hen fake (and full-strut gobbler deke) as I did last year, even if that female turkey is a prototype, you have to think: Maybe I should include them more in my turkey setups.

Fast forward to January 2011. Just in time for this year's winter outdoor shows and coming spring turkey seasons, ZINK Calls has made the final version of that prototype I used last year available: the Avian X LCD.

Want visual proof? Check out their new DVD "Turkey Time III." Click play, and you'll see two things: (1) longbeards trying to breed the hen decoy, and (2) real hens exhibiting aggressive territorial behavior as they confront the Avian X LCD.

Are you a decoy-toting turkey chaser? The Avian X LCD is so lifelike (and collapsible for easy carry) you'll want to use it in both the spring and fall turkey woods.

Now while it's true longbeards rarely run to my decoys the way they do in some videos, I might just give this one a second chance in the coming season. Stay tuned.

For a quick look at the just released "Turkey Time III" video, and the new Avian X LCD, check out: www.zinkcalls.com

from pineywoods wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

I'm not a decoy user. I've tried them, but the terrain where I hunt isn't favorable for decoy use and I' had too many gobblers come to within sight of the decoy hen, then hang up waiting for the hen to come on to him. I know they do work, especially in field situations, but I' making do without them right now.

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

Yea you are right apparently I am a life long member of the DDS club and due to ADD probably will never get out of it.
Perhaps my problem originates or conflicts with deploying the tactical napping strategy; Upon cracking an eye open I am startled by the decoy, causing any nearby turkey to skedaddle for parts unknown.
later,
charlie

from Steve Hickoff wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

Some of you remember my "Decoy Dysfunction Syndrome" comments the last time we got into this Strut Zone round-table turkey talk. Back then, I think "charlie elk" also indicated he was a longtime member of the club, like me.

So where do the rest of you stand? Good to hear you've had some success with 'em, "sbemke" . . . anybody else a card-carrying member of DDS or have you been successful with dekes like the DSD and others?

from Ridgerunner55 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Watching Turkey Time III will just about make a believer aout of anyone. Watching it in person was even better wasn't it Steve?

from Steve Hickoff wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Thanks for checking in, sbemke,

A bowhunting bud of mine swears by the DSDs. Thanks for sharing the info. and link.

Q. Anybody else out there have better luck with the turkey decoys than this longbeard?

Steve

from Steve Hickoff wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Hey neuman23,

The prototype of this decoy appears in the short video that opens when you click on the live link at the end of my SZ post (the "Turkey Time III" DVD clip). You'll see a gobbler trying to breed it, a hen checking it out, etc.

Go back to the ZINK site as turkey season approaches and you should get all the info. you need. In the meantime, some of the new turkey mail-order catalogs will have it in there. The RedHead (Bass Pro Shops) one does. Just got it yesterday. C'mon spring!

Stay tuned, and thanks for checking in. Keep us posted on how you do this coming turkey season.

Steve

from sbemke wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

I have had a lot of success hunting over decoys. I began using the Dave Smith Decoys (DSD)a few years back. Every season, I have had multiple toms try and breeds these decoys,sometimes 3 at a time. It's pretty awesome. I think these are as about as realistic as you can get with out having a full mounted turkey done.

from neuman23 wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

Steve,

I tried to find the decoy on that link and couldn't find it. Do you think you could point me in the right direction?

Thanks