Gobbler Forecast April 8-15

Strut Zone Recent Posts

Strut Zone

April 07, 2011
Gobbler Forecast April 8-15 - 4

Heading into the heart of April, gobbling should be in full swing in all regions of the country.  The northern states are still cool and unsettled while the south central is already in heat wave and drought conditions.

Pulling out the days with windy conditions and rain or showers, these days really tend to slow turkey calling.  And looking for clearing and dry conditions with lower humidity we will find more active birds.  Throw in warming temperatures and days with the dew point equal to the air temperature and you’ve got prime days.  With that in mind, here’s the best days of the week for your region:

NE – April 9th (pm) and 13th
SE – April 8th, 10th, 12th and 13th
SC – April 8th (pm), 11th, 12th and 15th
GL – April 9th, 12th and 13th
NC – April 12th-15th
NW – April 8th, 9th, 11th and 12th
SW – April 11th – 15th

Moon – April 18th is a full moon. As we close in on the 48 hours surrounding this date, keep in mind that full moon days produce many records in the NWTF book over the last 20 years.

Tip – Turkeys will tolerate wind up to about 20 mph.  It’s best if it’s calm (0-5mph).  If it’s above 20 mph they tend to hole up and talk far less.

For the turkey forecast in your state go to OL Weather.

from Randy-ILL wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Hello everyone! I am hunting public land along the Mississippi in Northwestern Ill. and wouldn't you know it the river flooded out my spot! Had to do some serious scouting and think I have a decent "Plan B". Hopefully the weather holds out, expecting heavy storms tonight and clear tomorrow. Good luck to all! Hopefully I'll be posting a picture this time tomorrow night!!

from Smitty18 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I went out and did some serious scouting yesterday and at 8:15 I was just walking around and looking for sheds and i made one yelp and by 8:17 I had two longbeards 30 yards away. If only i had a gun...
Smitty18
COUNTDOWN TO THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR= 13 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

from pineywoods wrote 3 years 1 week ago

It has been so blasted hot and muggy here in SW Alabama that the turkey activity is all out of whack. The kamikaze gnats are so bad that the turkeys won't come out into any open areas or use the top of ridges. I've seen them come out into a field and only stay a minute, shaking their heads and taking off on a dead run to get away from them. If you don't wear a head net, they'll crawl into every orifice, whether you use DEET or not.
The only turkeys that gobble more than once or twice at daybreak are the ones that are henned up. The temps in the high eighties and low nineties take the pleasure out of midday hunting. The circumstances will test one's resolve.

from Smitty18 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I saw 5-6 birds along the edge of a field on my way home from school.

from Smitty18 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I saw 5-6 birds along the edge of a field on my way home from school.

from pineywoods wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Smitty18 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Smitty18
COUNTDOWN TO THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR= 13 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Randy-ILL wrote 3 years 1 week ago