Turkey Hunting Tips: How to Improve Your Mouth Call

Strut Zone Recent Posts

Strut Zone

March 12, 2012
Turkey Hunting Tips: How to Improve Your Mouth Call - 5

Heads up guys, watch this video and you're going to get a close-up on the inside of a full-grown man's mouth. But, it's all in the name of better turkey calling ...

Even some hardcore turkey hunters have trouble running mouth calls. They gag. They peep like fuzzy barnyard chicks. They sound like grunting and squealing pigs. They give up.

That’s why hand-operated friction turkey calls were made, they say. Other hunters manage to use mouth diaphragms, killing a few fired-up gobblers with fair yelps and clucks during the spring mating season. Still others call in off-season competitions and the in-season turkey woods to improve their mouth-calling abilities. They study how they call. Competition caller and turkey hunter Shane Simpson, who shared this video tip, is one of these guys.

Why use a mouth call anyway? The cost is cheap. Hands-free operation doesn’t spook turkeys in view with the hand movement friction calls require. Just ounces to carry, you can hide one in your mouth. Still not into using a mouth call? Simpson’s advice on paying attention to how your tongue fits against the mouth call’s reeds might help make your mouth calling more realistic.

Placing your tongue on the call’s latex reed(s) correctly and finding just the right diaphragm fit for your mouth can improve your average turkey calling. Making a tight air seal with the call pushed firmly against the roof of your mouth—which Simpson does here after showing tongue reed placement—will finish the deal. Even if you know about tongue placement and how to blow air over reeds, how often have you seen it demonstrated inside a guy’s mouth?

Watch Simpson’s video again. Practice looking at your own tongue in the mirror—alerting family members or roommates in the process—as you make turkey hunting vocalizations.

Spring gobblers will appreciate your effort but may die as a result.

from charlie elk wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I've tried everything even therapy from my dentist (he really gets annoyed with all the gagging).
So I have learned to do some passable turkey sounds via natural voice. Same way the guy in the video- minus the diaphragm.
later,
charlie

from Steve Hickoff wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

10-4. Big fan of calling in stereo, cjohnsrud. With ya. I've got another bud who can chew tobacco and mouth call at the same time. Now there's some sort of balancing act, lol.

from cjohnsrud wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I like using a mouth call for the simple fact that you can also use a box or slate call at the same time. I have a buddy that will use all 3 almost simultaneously. The gobblers go insane.

from JM wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

@Charlie_Elk,
My friend could not use a mouth call the first year I brought him hunting(due to gagging), but by the time the next year came around he was able to use one. He said he spent a lot of time with it just sitting in his mouth in position without actually attempting to make any noise and he would just gradually try to produce noises until it felt comfortable. Sounded like what he went through was a real pain in the rear, but a mouth call is defintely worth it in my opinion.

from charlie elk wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks for the video. I must be hopeless, felt like gagging while watching. ;(
There are times in the turkey woods when a mouth call would be darn convenient. Perhaps I'll have to buy one and try again.
later,