Would You Shoot a Bearded Hen?

Strut Zone Recent Posts

Strut Zone

April 15, 2013
Would You Shoot a Bearded Hen? - 6

I saw her again last weekend and I’m not gonna lie—I really want to call her in, shoot her and take her to the taxidermist. Or at least I think that I do. She’s a triple-bearded hen that I’ve now seen three springs running and a totally legal turkey (of course) to take come opening day of turkey season in a couple of weeks.

I’m truly not a “trophy hunter” by any means nor can I really afford the taxidermy bill, but I’d surely get her mounted. She’s just an awesome-looking bird. I’ve intentionally hunted her two fall seasons in a row without seeing her, but feel as if, given the opportunity this spring, I’d try to take her.

Now, I understand that there are a bunch of guys out there who might think it sacrilegious to take a hen in the spring, but my thought is that if I can close the deal within the first couple days of the season—before she begins nesting and laying—I will.

So, what are your thoughts? Convince me either way.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Personally, I would hesitate about shooting one in the spring, but not in the fall. I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for shooting a bearded hen in the spring though.

from pfettig77 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

For some reason whenever I hear the term bearded hen, I think of my mother-in-law. She's Italian.

from Lonnie Williamson wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I would and did, as a matter of fact it was my first turkey kill. I believe it was 1997. I did not hesitate. Incidentally it was a 7 1/2 inch beard. I would not hesitate again. It was and is a legal bird. The regulations here in WV state bearded turkeys, for the spring hunt. I have killed several gobblers since, but my first turkey was just as memorable. More so in fact.

from Lonnie Williamson wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from schmakenzie wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

It's totally legal. It's right and not wrong legally. However if you truly feel it was alright to shoot a hen in the spring, you would have already done so. I think your heart is telling you to hunt her in the fall and that's what I would do.

from Bill Koepke wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

My first turkey was a bearded hen, saw her coming across an alfalfa field, and thought it was just a hen, but when she stepped into the open field i saw a beard dangling so the shotgun came up. I'm just as proud of that turkey as I am as any of the gobblers I've harvested. Fire away.

from pfettig77 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago