Introducing New Outdoor Life Columnist Benny Spies

August 16, 2011
Introducing New Outdoor Life Columnist Benny Spies - 16

Benny Spies is the host of the hit Versus television series "Gun It." He's also now writing a monthly column for Outdoor Life Magazine, and will be a regular blogger on this site.

Most of my dad’s gray hairs are my doing. My mom, although loving, couldn’t wait for me to get out of the house. My brother used to pin me down and pound my chest until I could rattle off the names of 10 different candy bars (don’t ask). We were just your normal all-American family.

I grew up in Watertown, South Dakota, home of the Arrows.  I first wanted to be a doctor because of my grandfather, then a baseball player because of Twins first baseman Kent Hrbek. As it turns out, I pass out at the sight of my own blood and I swing at everything that comes within 10 feet of the plate, so it was on to Plan C.

After earning degrees in communications, I moved to New York City. In an eventful five years there, I took a swim in the East River on a bet, fetched coffee for Conan O’Brien, ate my weight in sausage-and-cheese omelets and hung out in dive bars drinking PBR while listening to Waylon Jennings and George Thorogood tunes.

But the excitement of the big city couldn’t replace my love for home and the outdoors, so a few years ago I returned to Watertown to pursue my passion: to make an outdoor television show like no one had ever seen before—one that speaks to folks like you and me. It’s been a long road, from stocking fridges and digging ditches to finally realizing a dream I’ve had for years.

My sense of humor has always been a little different, and my hope is that that perspective comes through in this column.  In the months  ahead, I’ll share tales from the road, some unsolicited advice and a few fond memories. I’m excited and I hope you are, too. ROOOOOSTER!

from Meaghan Griffis wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

I am so my daddy.

from Meaghan Griffis wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

YOUR SHOW IS AWESOME!!!

from Outsider11 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Hey Benny, Enjoyed Your Show-Duck Hunnting with your Buddy Tiger.Looking forward To many More.
I Enjoy The Column also.

from sstobie wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Were going back to Montana next week for our annual "Sportsmans Cavalcade". Looking forward to deer, coyote, geese, duck and pheasant in November. Take care and keep up the GREAT work on the show.

from jdchronister wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

When sitting in my 24'x 24'camp that does a good job of keeping the rain and snow off of us, watching the same 10 hunting videos. We have always spoke of making a hunting show depicting the average "up again the hill" average hunting gang and thanks to Gun It. we have it!!! GOOD LUCK.

from sstobie wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Benny, The new format is awesome. the first time I watched your show was the last time I watched the "canned hunt" shows. I grew up in Central Montana and enjoy the style of hunting you express. Grat Job!

from clinpep05 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

hey benny love the show... Do you think you'll ever take the toaster down south... We would love to have you down here in Texas... You need to come hog huntin with me and my pals....

from rfeist wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Just watched a new episode. Great shot. It was good to meet you in August and thanks for the autograph. Big fan in Rapid City.

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

ROOOOOOSTER! Yo Benny, glad to see Outdoor life gave you the time of day. I cannot wait to read the blog. Love the show! It's about time hunting got some representation from a guy like you, who is a guy like me and my buddies. Just out for the camaraderie, the love of the great outdoors, and fun. Like i always say, i can only watch hank parker hunting a high fenced ranch over a pile of c'mere deer droning on and on about ssssschwacker braodheads so many times. Heck, even the wife laughs from time to time when Gun It is on! Can't wait for season 2!

from bdoug77 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

You speak the truth Benny. I watched that Kent Hrbek dream disappear before my very eyes!

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Benny, it's nice to watch a show that resembles how 99.9% of America hunts. Your show is my favorite, as it shows hunting to be about friends and good times more than shooting a "Trophy" every time out.

from nieke22 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Great show benny, looking forward too your monthly column.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I enjoy Gun It. Its refreshing since most hunting shows are just crap anymore. Bennie makes it lively and humorous. I'll be looking forward to his columns.

from 6phunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

WELCOME ABOARD,kick back,take your shoes off but don't relax,some insightful sportmen here that all have agreed it's ok to disagree.

from sdbubble wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Congratulations on living the dream. Not many people have the luxury of shooting their limit of geese, heading home from the river on back roads hoping to shoot a rooster or two and stumbling on a limit of ducks. Not only that, but making a living showing and telling those stories. You gotta love South Dakota.

from Yoda wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I look forward to reading your stuff, I actually enjoy watching the show even though I haven't watched in a while.

from Yoda wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from sdbubble wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from 6phunter wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

from sstobie wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from Outsider11 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

I Enjoy The Column also.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from nieke22 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Great show benny, looking forward too your monthly column.

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago