Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Centerfire

Remington Model 700 trigger/misfire issues

Did anyone see the special on TV the other night about the issues with the Remington Model 700 firing without someone pulling the trigger. Multiple sources had voiced complaints, and it seems as though Remington will not admit there is an issue although they have settled several legal battles out of court dealing with cases of injuries that were allegedly due to misfires. They spoke with the gun's developer and other gun experts who gave differing opinions about the reasoning for the misfires. The developer says the problem is in the manufacturing process while other experts say that the original design is flawed. I own a Model 700 BDL manufactured in the early 2000's and was a bit worried by this report. My question to everyone is...has anyone else had a Model 700 misfire on them? Has anyone replaced the trigger (for whatever reason) and if so what type/model of trigger did you replace the stock version with?

Top Rated
All Replies
from john15nlt wrote 1 week 1 day ago

I bought a Remington 700 adl 7 mag new in 1995, several hundred rounds through it and never a problem. I sold the gun in hard times to a friend and then bought it back in 2006. The gun worked flawlessly and then it happened, cold morning, chambered a round, moved the gun from safe to fire and it wouldn't budge. Slide the bolt back, and then forward and as I slide the safety off it fired and unsheathed my thumb in the process as it was all that was really behind the round. The issue was a dirty bolt, after dis assembly and deep cleaning it worked flawlessly. Then last week again, this time I knew what has happening before it happened.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from Philip Dommenge wrote 6 weeks 6 min ago

I was elk hunting last year and while calling in a bull elk I switched the safety to fire. Without touching the trigger the rifle fired. Luckily, no one was injured (including the elk I was calling in). This is a real problem and everyone who uses the rifle should never have a cartridge chambered in till ready to fire.

from Buddy Earnesty wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

I have a remington model 700in 270caliber that just recently fired without pulling the trigger i shot twice and then bolted another round in the chamber and the gun went off,Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this matter.Or does someone have the number to the remington place to get it fixed.tahnks for any info

from DSMbirddog wrote 17 weeks 6 days ago

Now we have a Boston lawyer looking for clients? Seriously...

from Erica Mirabella wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

If anyone owns a Remington 700 and has had a misfire, can you please call or email me if you would like to discuss? 617.580.8270 or emirabella@gnemlaw.com. Thanks!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Wraeth wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

Observation* I did not completely comb this post but of those I did; people who say their gun is defective only posted the one time ever in Outdoor Life forum.

Also the 4 or 5 frequenters of ODL forum and a Marine; reading their posts conveys they have not witnessed the problem. I'm just an outside observer who doesn't like foul play, trying to even the playing field. I can't come to a conclusion with so little info but it is suspect no ODL patron mentioned their firearm failing.

Passed Hunter's Safety course when I was 14.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from DSMbirddog wrote 27 weeks 5 days ago

Damien, my Rem 700 was purchased in 1970 and the trigger has never been modified. I never had any problems with the trigger. I did purchase a Timney trigger for it since my nephew is using it. I'm still a little skeptical of this whole issue because I've never looked over one of the Remington's that failed and I know a number of people that own them and have used them for years.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report

Damien, my Rem 700 was purchased in 1970. I never had an issue with the trigger on mine and the trigger has never been modified. Since my nephew is now using it I bought him a trigger for it for safety's sake. If I had newer rifle it would certainly go back to Remington. Bottom line I am not sure I buy in to this whole thing since I have never had a chance to look over one of these rifles that supposedly go off when the bolt is closed.

from Damien Bartee wrote 29 weeks 3 days ago

I just watched a Remington 700 .308 that has less than 100 rounds down range do this exact same thing and it was repeatable. I want to know how to fix it because the gun is too dangerous to use like this. I'd worry it would kill someone if I sold it. I saw Cabellas has an aftermarket safety kit. I also saw a 3 position safety kit. Would those work do you think or do I need a whole trigger kit? Perhaps send it to Remington but I have heard some less than ideal things about their customer service and turnaround times.

from jakesnake66 wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

I don't want to start a flame war, but I'm astounded when I read about people willingly changing out their trigger as if it's no big deal that Remington continues to manufacture a gun with this ridiculously dangerous, life-threatening defect. One post goes so far as to say that $135 is a "small price to pay." Wow. So you buy a rifle with a known defect and then consider another $135 (plus the time to install) a "small price to pay." What we should do is A) Don't buy Remington products until they fix this problem, and/or B) demand that Remington fix the problem themselves - free of charge. The evidence is overwhelming that not only is the problem REAL, but Remington has been aware of it for decades. And still folks buy the gun and then willingly pay to do something they shouldn't have to just to render the gun non life threatening. Isn't there something wrong with that? Why not buy a gun from a manufacturer who cares more about safety than that? Many other guns are of equal or better quality, cost less, and you never have to worry about killing someone when you switch the safety off. It blows my mind that anyone would use a firearm where they even have to consider such a possibility. Someone please point out the logic. I fail to see any at all.

from Michael Sullivan wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I had a similar issue with my seasoned rifle, I am at least the second owner, after using the rifle for more than 5 years with absolutely no problems and excellat success, I was at the range sighting in two days before season opener, upon releasing the safety, the rifle which had a round in the chamber, released the mechanism, but luckly failed to fire. It was pointed down range, and I do not want to get on any bandwagon bashing the Remington product ( which I love) but there is an issue. I tried it several more times with out the round in the chamber, and there was something wrong with the mechanism. Just as the problem became evideint it went away, however I am affraid to use the rifle as I had before. I am looking for an answer of how to fix the situation. I had to hunt all season using it as a single shot so as not to accidently fire a round.

I had a similar issue with my seasoned rifle, I am at least the second owner, after using the rifle for more than 5 years with absolutely no problems and excellat success, I was at the range sighting in two days before season opener, upon releasing the safety, the rifle which had a round in the chamber, released the mechanism, but luckly failed to fire. It was pointed down range, and I do not want to get on any bandwagon bashing the Remington product ( which I love) but there is an issue. I tried it several more times with out the round in the chamber, and there was something wrong with the mechanism. Just as the problem became evideint it went away, however I am affraid to use the rifle as I had before. I am looking for an answer of how to fix the situation. I had to hunt all season using it as a single shot so as not to accidently fire a round.

from The Happy Hunter wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Hey everyone, I love the forum.
I bought a new 700 SPS 30.06 from my local Bass Pro on Dec. 7th 2011. It was sighted in and then used for hunting into this year. Other than the hunting, the gun has been kept in a gun cabinet and humidity controlled environment. It's been meticulously cleaned and maintained. No (ZERO) adjustments have been made to any part of the gun or trigger. To date the rifle has fired approx. 30 rounds. The last round was terrifying! My left hand was on the forearm, and I grasped the safety with my right index and thumb fingers to avoid the "click" that can spook deer. When I pushed the safety forward, to turn it "off", the gun fired! Like an earlier poster who experienced a similar misfire, I too suffered a nice gash/blood blister on my right thumb, as it absorbed most of the recoil. It's still under warranty. So I will be contacting Remington tomorrow. It seems that even the new 700's still have trigger problems. Has any one else had misfires with their newer 700's? Thanks!

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

You can get a replacement Timney triger with the safety for about $135. Small price to pay.

from Bill Denning wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I was hunting today for deer in PA and i had some doe come by. I Was going to shoot one so i pointed my Rem 700 in the direction of the deer comming in and clicked the safety off and the gun fired. I know i had no finger on the trigger. I was using my pointer finger and thumb to turn off the safety so thier was no noise to scare the deer so i know i didnt have any pressure on the trigger. This is a real problem and it can happen. Im going to see about getting a new trigger assembly put in my gun.

This is actually the second time this happend to me. When i was younger the gun did the same thing but i thought my hands were cold and didnt realize i had a finger on the trigger. But now i think it happend then also. I have hunted for many years with many differnt bolt action rifles and never once made a mistake with having a finger on the trigger when turning the safety off.

I do believe this modle of gun has a problem.

from JHP wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

There is a good video on YouTube that shows the Model 700 trigger, the adjustments and how it is adjusted properly and how it is adjusted improperly. Good close up views. In addition it describes how a trigger/action/safety can be checked (unloaded gun) by various manipulations of bolt, safety, trigger and bumping the butt stock. This check could apply to any rifle. I have two model 700's that have never been a problem in over 40 years. I have checked them plus every other gun i have by bumping the stock against a firm surface and never had a discharge. After the video, i performed the complete check on both rifles and they were fine. The video showed how a mis adjusted trigger does not move forward all the way after being pulled and that is the potential problem.. That could also be caused by dirt or contamination of the assembly.

from donauto11 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I recently was asked to set up the scope on a model 700 rifle. I gripped the forearm and used my thumb to push the safety forward into the safety off position and the rifle discharged, it bruised the top of my fingers with the trigger guard and scared the living H--- out of me. I have hunted and used numerous firearm my entire life and have never had a firearm discharge like this. I talked to the owner of the gun and he said he was once setting the gun down holding the barrel and when the stock touched the floor the rifle discharged and blew a hole in his hat rim. He's not the brightest bulb in the pack. Remington has trigger problem the trigger has not been tampered with on this firearm.IF YOU OWN A 700 AND I DO TOO. Change out the trigger assembly.

from GuyGene wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I don't have a 700, but all I can say is that if any gun fires when you are not pulling the trigger - something needs to be done, and soon!

The 700 has always been on my want list! Other than this issue, I have only read good about them... think I'll check today at my local gun shop to see if they have any good used 700s.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Get a replacement trigger and safety from Timney. $135.00. I've had a Rem 700 since 1970 and mine is fine. I've thought about replacing it just to be safe since my nephew is using it some. If anyone has messed with that trigger I would definitely replace it.

from JM wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

How old is the rifle Dominik? Sounds to me like some of the internals might need a good cleaning(old oil, dirt, etc. might be causing something to stick).

from Dominik Mascho wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

yes i just got my gun handed down to me its a 25-06 and i pulled the trigger it fired then when i reload i pull the trigger nothing not even a click for some reason i had to move the safety on and off to reset the firing pin then at one point it dident fire again and right before i opened the bolt it went off!

from Jason Abshier Sr. wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

there Nothing wrong with remington Model 700's ... I own 3 of them in my previous status I stated as before, Remington 700's are trusted so much they were used as sniper rifles during wars, also used by police forces, they are well trusted guns , It's matter how people take gun safety, any gun can go off accidently .... LOOK AT WINCHESTER MODEL 94 30-30 pull hammer back, when you wanna put gun back on safe you have pull trigger ease hammer back up with your thumb, IF THE HAMMER SLIPS UNDER THUMB ....(BOOM) accident could of happen, anyone complaining about that type gun NO!!!

I've owned a couple of remington model 700's I had (22-250) made in 1998 NO PROBLEMS , I have Remington 700 (.300 Mag) made in 1985 NO PROBLEMS.... and I have Remington 700 (.270) made in 1994 NO PROBLEMS (once fixed claw extractor in bolt broke in gun after 15 years of use and hunting) ... and all my triggers are set to 2.5 to 3LBS pull... I've heard rumors 700's went off accidently someone gotten KILLED , #1 who hell would aim a LOADED firearm at another person when unloading it, or when using it ? PRETTY DUMB??? right?? Keep muzzle pointed in safe direction! any gun , Winchester, remington ,sako , savage, marlin ...is capable of killing someone by mistake, it matter how person handles there firearm safety! now reason some say when they are closing the bolt gun goes off by it's self, well I can guess only one thing , THAT PERSON OR SOMEONE adjusted the trigger screw too light cause gun to go off when closing the BOLT ...

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Get a replacement trigger, a Timney or Rifle Basics

from sphillips wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Does anyone know what the true fix for the issue is?

from Tina Erwin wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I have had my model 700, 243 for 14 years....I have never adjusted or done anything to it. today it wouldn't let me put safety on until I opened and re closed the bolt. When I went to see if it was still working okay by switching safety off then back on it misfired, ricocheted off of a piece of wood and hit a barn near our house and where mom was working, could have killed someone. I have done NOTHING to this rifle at all, wouldn't know how. Have had it 14 years. It scared and upset me, could have killed someone. Something needs to be done about this and NOW!!!!

from James Sullivan wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I just got a 700 adl with a x-mark pro trigger are they having a problem with these triggers or is it any remington 700

from kkassner wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I have also experienced taking the safety off and the gun fired without pulling the trigger. This is not hype. This is real.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I'm not sure if it's hype or real dough. But I will say this. If there were reports that your car had bad brakes would you go take it I to the shop to have it looked at? Of course you would. Why not do it with a rifle. Take it in, have a gunsmith check it, maybe instal a new trigger to be safe. When it comes to guns safety first, get over your pride, don't be a fool. Just because your rifle hasnt failed you yet doesn't mean a damn thing. What are you waiting for? Someone dear to you to get killed, before you adress a potential problem?

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from CCMJS wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Is this real or just media induced mass hysteria? I have owned 700s for along time and have never heard any of this until "the show". Now everyone's freaking out. What's the deal?! Could this be just like the exploding Chevy trucks of the 80s? Could it be caused by global warming?

from PAShooter wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Dubbledub, are you into jazz?

@Doubledub, Have you seen the video and written response to CNBC?
remington700.tv What do you think of it? All machines fail eventially, especially if misused or neglected.

from Dubbledub wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

@PAShooter: That's an ignorant characterization. Yes, the "new" mechanisms are deemed to be safe thus far, but you have no evidence to condemn every 700 misfire victim of neglect of their firearm. There has been some evidence of problems occurring after having the trigger worked (lightened), but that doesn't address every instance either. Regardless, if having your trigger lightened compromises your "safety - fire" mechanism, you've got a faulty design. Remington deserves plenty of culpability here.

from PAShooter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

The new Remington triggers are fine. All guns that had a problem had been neglected or improperly altered.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

BROWNAROLA,I agree completely that muzzle safety deserves the utmost respect and caution. I also think you have made a wise choice deleting this weapon in a firearm safety course,knowing that the safety has issues could lead to a liability in your regards.Besides a new student has enough basic fundamental techniques to overcome without being fraught by a weapons malfunction.As weapons instructors our job is to not only teach safety,but to protect them as well.THANKS ,for helping the next generation become wiser and more diligent than even ourselves.

from Brownarola wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

After doing a little bit more research I think I may actually stop using this rifle until the firing mechanism is swapped out. I have had a number of students who have used it with no issues but it only takes one misfire to ruin a day. I actually developed a short video for my course with clips of the Remington Model 700 misfiring which I intend to begin using in my classes. However there is one key issue that everyone should learn from this issue; keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at ALL times. Every news clip I have watched regarding the model 700, or articles I have read regarding this rifle, people were injured due to poor muzzle control. The one gentleman's son Gus was killed when his mother was unloading the rifle and the bullet struck him. I make it a practice to always unload my firearm with the muzzle pointed in a direction opposite anyone around me. If that one rule would have been followed, Gus would still be alive. Granted the rifle was the initial cause, but muzzle control is the key to preventing a large number of firearm related incidents.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

IF REMMINGTON CLAIMS were truthful then why have they changed the safety mechanism on the new models of the 700? IF in fact they are safe,how do you fix something that's not broke ? MNSNBC, REMMINGTON, SOMETHING JUST DOESN'T ADD UP. think for youre selves

from RonMac wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I have owned my Model 700, .270 for over 20 years. Was a gift, brand new. I have never modified the trigger or anything else for that matter. For the first time, my gun misfired this deer season, after shooting a deer opening morning, my safety stuck in the "fire" position. After opening bolt, was able to move to "Safe" position and chamber another round. When I checked safety functionality and moved to "fire" (with muzzle pointed toward ground) the gun fired with my finger no where near the trigger. Very scary. Thinking I had lost my mind, I repeated the process, and it happened again. I was not aware of this issue until talking to guys in deer camp, who made me aware of the MSNBC report. I still have not seen it. As for using this gun in Hunter's Ed (I commend you on volunteering your time for this very worthwhile commitment to hunting) with this known issue (whether Remington admits or not), seems like you are opening yourself up to some unneccessary risks with kids learning to handle a firearm. I too love this gun, but until I find out more, mine is being retired. Just please be safe. Just because it "hasn't happened to me" doesn't mean it can't in the future.

from SAWgunner wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I read Remingtons response when I was in Cabellas the other day. I wish I had a copy of it but it seemed to indicate that if you toy'd with the trigger pull weight, accidents could happen.
I'm inclined to agree with Remington and not MSNBC on this one.

from rarmstrong wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I have a model 700 Mountain Rifle, .280, that I bought in 1985. Great rifle that I use for deer hunting in upper Michigan. Two years ago it misfired when I closed the bolt. This year it misfired when I took the safety off while lining up on a nice 8-point. From what I read, I'm not alone.

from monkeyman68 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I've got a couple of 700s, one never had a problem, one started misfiring after about 10 years. It has happened about 8-10 times, kept working with the gun, took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, but it continued to intermittently misfire. Either when taking the safety off, or after firing when chambering a new round, when I'd close the bolt, it would fire. Guns are 2nd nature to me, I use them as tools, But just as any other tool, I have to be able to trust it (100% of the time) to perform when and how I choose, no exceptions. I cant trust this gun anymore, one misfire is too many.

Don't be foolish enough to think that you are capable of working around the defects of a gun, were not talking about a gun that doesn't shoot straight and adjusting your aim, this is dangerous. Right now I have a nice paperweight.

from Brownarola wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I teach hunter education and I use a .270 model 700 for my live fire exercises. I remember a couple years ago a student of mine was having problems keeping her finger out of the trigger guard. I watched her open the bolt, chamber a round and place the firearm on safe. I noticed her finger was in the trigger gaurd once again and when she moved the selection lever from safe to fire the firearm discharged. What I discovered was when the safety was on and you pressed the trigger and then you moved the safety to fire the firing pin would fall causing the firearm to discharge. Until recently I was unaware of any issues with the Model 700 and I have hunted with my .270 for over 16 years with zero misfires, with the exception of my student whom I failed because she broke rule #2 of the 10 firearm commandments. Luckily the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction so there was no immediate danger to anyone and the student learned a valuable lesson of keeping her finger out of the trigger guard until she was ready to fire.

With that said, unless you knew about this flaw with the trigger, yes I agree that it could lead to a fatal accident, and sadly enough it has taken lives. I can see how this could also pose an issue if you were out hiking and the trigger were somehow pulled by a twig or branch and you then go to unload your firearm and get the surprise of your life. But this all goes back to firearm basics. If everyone would keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when unloading their firearm, many firearm related accidents could be prevented. That is why I stress muzzle control so much in my course, along with positive target identification, keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until they are ready to fire, and understanding what lies beyond the target (i.e. homes, people, etc).

Will I stop using the Model 700 in my hunter safety course? No.. I love my rifle and since I am aware of the flaw, it gives me a great training aid in my course and it stresses the importance that safeties can and do fail. My heart goes out to those that have lost loved ones due to this flaw and personally I believe Remington should be to some degree accountable. I also believe they should man up and fix the flaw at no cost to you or I.

from Pam Mainz wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Whie hunting this past weekend our son that is 16 took the saftey off and the gun fired without touching the trigger! This could have been a tradgic outcome and I'm hoping that Remington is a company that cares about these issues and that cares about those who uses their guns. Those people that made them who they are.....

Jeff & Pam Mainz
36742 Prairie Drive
Oconomowoc, WI 53066
(262)337-0614

from Luke wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

i think theres no problem with the gun..mistakes are being made from the gun being overheated and improper use..if the gun is on safety it wont go off and if the gun is not pointed at someone it cant kill

from sgtmajorusmc wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Sgtmajor usmc..Make no mistake about it but the USMC uses the 700 for most snipers in the corp. Every 700 is dismantled and "REBUILT" to the corps specs. From the ground up you might say. On my 700 I had the trigger set to a nice 3.2 lbs of pull. The safetys CAN be set between SAFE and FIRE if one is not dilligent enough to push all the way in one direction or another. The German 98 had the same problem. Even tho I never had a problem with a hot chambered shell going off, I guess it can happen if and only if a round is chambered into a hot barrel and the bolt is slammed shut with excessive force . The bolt and barrel being hot and the head-space is not correct. With my experience shooting this weapon, I really don't think the rifle is at fault.

from Own700s wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

I own a number of 700s. Neyer heard of this problem.
About 5 weeks ago I was out with a .243 that I have owned since 1975. Never have had any problems. This gun has never been worked on or had trigger adjusted.
I chambered a round. When I pulled the trigger it felt like safety was on. No trigger travel. Checked, safety was in fire position. Waited several seconds, flipped the safety on and off. Waited, then extracted the round and checked it . No firing pin strike. Worked the bolt several times, flipped safety on and off and dry fired.
Chambered a different round, flipped the safety to fire, sighted on target. Again I felt no trigger travel as if safety was on.
Thinking I needed to head for the house and check my gun out I decided to unload and call it quits. My finger was not on the trigger! As soon as I started to move the bolt the firing pin released the gun went off. I can find no problem with this 700 and have been trying to repeat the misfire. I'll re post if it happens again.
People I have been talking to have never heard of this issue. 2 have had friends that had a 700 discharge. Then I saw the MSNBC special.
Believe what you want. I know this is a real problem and am warning my gun owner friends to be extra careful. I will say that wear due to the age and use of this 700 could be a factor.

But....the designer of the trigger system recommended it be changed!

from HKL wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

My 1972 Remington 700 misfires were due to my gunsmith setting the pull too low. a slight increase on the screws solved the problem.

from CCMJS wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

It was interesting that the police agencies were able to repeat the 'misfires' yet no one else can. Hmm??

from outrunner13 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

i have a 700 no problems yet but it just woke me up that there mite be

from MARINESNIPER44 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I know my dad's 700 you have to push the safety off to work the bolt and if you have your finger on the trigger it will go off. Even if you think you are not putting any pressure on it.

from CCMJS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

If you believe anything from CNBC then I have a brigde that I'd like to sell you.

from vthunter4 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Yoda, that's a good question. Thankls for the tip about the article. I will definitely make sure to read it.

from Yoda wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I have a 700 and have never had any problems with it. My only gripe is that the trigger pull is a bit heavy, but I use it for hunting so i can deal with it, if it bothered me that much I'd go to a gunsmith. But you have to find it odd that the experts that CNBC went to could not replicate those incidents, and modified trigger pulls are likely a cause for most of the problems, if it isn't just people in denial of having a finger on the trigger. The part of the show where it shows the sniper setting the firearm off with out touching the trigger, my question is was that firearm modified in anyway, and was it submitted for testing, and if there have been so many problems with it, why do law enforcement and military continue to use the 700.

+4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Flatbed wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Was on the Field & Stream web site the other day and David Petzal has a very good article on that porgram. It brought up some veery interseting points. I do have a 700 and have never had any problems. One of the things that David Petzal points out is that any one with a jewelers screw driver can change the trigger pull & if it is brought down to less than 2 lbs. the mis-fires aare possible. My thought is leave the trigger pull alone and you won't have a problem.

I believe the issue that they were having was when the safety was off and they were attempting to unload the gun. They even showed video of police snipers on the range without a finger near the trigger and when they tried to run the bolt the gun fired. I am not saying this is typical, or even happens often. In fact I love my rifle, and have never had a problem with it but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced issue.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I don't own a Remington Model 700, I can say I'm pretty sure the only way a gun can go off is if you have a round locked & loaded. If someone is running around with a round in the chamber thats not the guns fault it's the owners fault for the lack of gun safety. Now if the bullets go of in the magazine area I see the reason for concern.

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

from Yoda wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I have a 700 and have never had any problems with it. My only gripe is that the trigger pull is a bit heavy, but I use it for hunting so i can deal with it, if it bothered me that much I'd go to a gunsmith. But you have to find it odd that the experts that CNBC went to could not replicate those incidents, and modified trigger pulls are likely a cause for most of the problems, if it isn't just people in denial of having a finger on the trigger. The part of the show where it shows the sniper setting the firearm off with out touching the trigger, my question is was that firearm modified in anyway, and was it submitted for testing, and if there have been so many problems with it, why do law enforcement and military continue to use the 700.

+4 Good Comment? | | Report
from CCMJS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

If you believe anything from CNBC then I have a brigde that I'd like to sell you.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I'm not sure if it's hype or real dough. But I will say this. If there were reports that your car had bad brakes would you go take it I to the shop to have it looked at? Of course you would. Why not do it with a rifle. Take it in, have a gunsmith check it, maybe instal a new trigger to be safe. When it comes to guns safety first, get over your pride, don't be a fool. Just because your rifle hasnt failed you yet doesn't mean a damn thing. What are you waiting for? Someone dear to you to get killed, before you adress a potential problem?

from Flatbed wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Was on the Field & Stream web site the other day and David Petzal has a very good article on that porgram. It brought up some veery interseting points. I do have a 700 and have never had any problems. One of the things that David Petzal points out is that any one with a jewelers screw driver can change the trigger pull & if it is brought down to less than 2 lbs. the mis-fires aare possible. My thought is leave the trigger pull alone and you won't have a problem.

from MARINESNIPER44 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I know my dad's 700 you have to push the safety off to work the bolt and if you have your finger on the trigger it will go off. Even if you think you are not putting any pressure on it.

from CCMJS wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

It was interesting that the police agencies were able to repeat the 'misfires' yet no one else can. Hmm??

from Own700s wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

I own a number of 700s. Neyer heard of this problem.
About 5 weeks ago I was out with a .243 that I have owned since 1975. Never have had any problems. This gun has never been worked on or had trigger adjusted.
I chambered a round. When I pulled the trigger it felt like safety was on. No trigger travel. Checked, safety was in fire position. Waited several seconds, flipped the safety on and off. Waited, then extracted the round and checked it . No firing pin strike. Worked the bolt several times, flipped safety on and off and dry fired.
Chambered a different round, flipped the safety to fire, sighted on target. Again I felt no trigger travel as if safety was on.
Thinking I needed to head for the house and check my gun out I decided to unload and call it quits. My finger was not on the trigger! As soon as I started to move the bolt the firing pin released the gun went off. I can find no problem with this 700 and have been trying to repeat the misfire. I'll re post if it happens again.
People I have been talking to have never heard of this issue. 2 have had friends that had a 700 discharge. Then I saw the MSNBC special.
Believe what you want. I know this is a real problem and am warning my gun owner friends to be extra careful. I will say that wear due to the age and use of this 700 could be a factor.

But....the designer of the trigger system recommended it be changed!

from Brownarola wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

After doing a little bit more research I think I may actually stop using this rifle until the firing mechanism is swapped out. I have had a number of students who have used it with no issues but it only takes one misfire to ruin a day. I actually developed a short video for my course with clips of the Remington Model 700 misfiring which I intend to begin using in my classes. However there is one key issue that everyone should learn from this issue; keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at ALL times. Every news clip I have watched regarding the model 700, or articles I have read regarding this rifle, people were injured due to poor muzzle control. The one gentleman's son Gus was killed when his mother was unloading the rifle and the bullet struck him. I make it a practice to always unload my firearm with the muzzle pointed in a direction opposite anyone around me. If that one rule would have been followed, Gus would still be alive. Granted the rifle was the initial cause, but muzzle control is the key to preventing a large number of firearm related incidents.

from CCMJS wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Is this real or just media induced mass hysteria? I have owned 700s for along time and have never heard any of this until "the show". Now everyone's freaking out. What's the deal?! Could this be just like the exploding Chevy trucks of the 80s? Could it be caused by global warming?

from Damien Bartee wrote 29 weeks 3 days ago

I just watched a Remington 700 .308 that has less than 100 rounds down range do this exact same thing and it was repeatable. I want to know how to fix it because the gun is too dangerous to use like this. I'd worry it would kill someone if I sold it. I saw Cabellas has an aftermarket safety kit. I also saw a 3 position safety kit. Would those work do you think or do I need a whole trigger kit? Perhaps send it to Remington but I have heard some less than ideal things about their customer service and turnaround times.

from Wraeth wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

Observation* I did not completely comb this post but of those I did; people who say their gun is defective only posted the one time ever in Outdoor Life forum.

Also the 4 or 5 frequenters of ODL forum and a Marine; reading their posts conveys they have not witnessed the problem. I'm just an outside observer who doesn't like foul play, trying to even the playing field. I can't come to a conclusion with so little info but it is suspect no ODL patron mentioned their firearm failing.

Passed Hunter's Safety course when I was 14.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I don't own a Remington Model 700, I can say I'm pretty sure the only way a gun can go off is if you have a round locked & loaded. If someone is running around with a round in the chamber thats not the guns fault it's the owners fault for the lack of gun safety. Now if the bullets go of in the magazine area I see the reason for concern.

I believe the issue that they were having was when the safety was off and they were attempting to unload the gun. They even showed video of police snipers on the range without a finger near the trigger and when they tried to run the bolt the gun fired. I am not saying this is typical, or even happens often. In fact I love my rifle, and have never had a problem with it but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced issue.

Yoda, that's a good question. Thankls for the tip about the article. I will definitely make sure to read it.

from HKL wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

My 1972 Remington 700 misfires were due to my gunsmith setting the pull too low. a slight increase on the screws solved the problem.

from Luke wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

i think theres no problem with the gun..mistakes are being made from the gun being overheated and improper use..if the gun is on safety it wont go off and if the gun is not pointed at someone it cant kill

from RonMac wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I have owned my Model 700, .270 for over 20 years. Was a gift, brand new. I have never modified the trigger or anything else for that matter. For the first time, my gun misfired this deer season, after shooting a deer opening morning, my safety stuck in the "fire" position. After opening bolt, was able to move to "Safe" position and chamber another round. When I checked safety functionality and moved to "fire" (with muzzle pointed toward ground) the gun fired with my finger no where near the trigger. Very scary. Thinking I had lost my mind, I repeated the process, and it happened again. I was not aware of this issue until talking to guys in deer camp, who made me aware of the MSNBC report. I still have not seen it. As for using this gun in Hunter's Ed (I commend you on volunteering your time for this very worthwhile commitment to hunting) with this known issue (whether Remington admits or not), seems like you are opening yourself up to some unneccessary risks with kids learning to handle a firearm. I too love this gun, but until I find out more, mine is being retired. Just please be safe. Just because it "hasn't happened to me" doesn't mean it can't in the future.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

IF REMMINGTON CLAIMS were truthful then why have they changed the safety mechanism on the new models of the 700? IF in fact they are safe,how do you fix something that's not broke ? MNSNBC, REMMINGTON, SOMETHING JUST DOESN'T ADD UP. think for youre selves

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

BROWNAROLA,I agree completely that muzzle safety deserves the utmost respect and caution. I also think you have made a wise choice deleting this weapon in a firearm safety course,knowing that the safety has issues could lead to a liability in your regards.Besides a new student has enough basic fundamental techniques to overcome without being fraught by a weapons malfunction.As weapons instructors our job is to not only teach safety,but to protect them as well.THANKS ,for helping the next generation become wiser and more diligent than even ourselves.

from PAShooter wrote 3 years 17 weeks ago

The new Remington triggers are fine. All guns that had a problem had been neglected or improperly altered.

@Doubledub, Have you seen the video and written response to CNBC?
remington700.tv What do you think of it? All machines fail eventially, especially if misused or neglected.

Dubbledub, are you into jazz?

from kkassner wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I have also experienced taking the safety off and the gun fired without pulling the trigger. This is not hype. This is real.

I've owned a couple of remington model 700's I had (22-250) made in 1998 NO PROBLEMS , I have Remington 700 (.300 Mag) made in 1985 NO PROBLEMS.... and I have Remington 700 (.270) made in 1994 NO PROBLEMS (once fixed claw extractor in bolt broke in gun after 15 years of use and hunting) ... and all my triggers are set to 2.5 to 3LBS pull... I've heard rumors 700's went off accidently someone gotten KILLED , #1 who hell would aim a LOADED firearm at another person when unloading it, or when using it ? PRETTY DUMB??? right?? Keep muzzle pointed in safe direction! any gun , Winchester, remington ,sako , savage, marlin ...is capable of killing someone by mistake, it matter how person handles there firearm safety! now reason some say when they are closing the bolt gun goes off by it's self, well I can guess only one thing , THAT PERSON OR SOMEONE adjusted the trigger screw too light cause gun to go off when closing the BOLT ...

from GuyGene wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I don't have a 700, but all I can say is that if any gun fires when you are not pulling the trigger - something needs to be done, and soon!

The 700 has always been on my want list! Other than this issue, I have only read good about them... think I'll check today at my local gun shop to see if they have any good used 700s.

from donauto11 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I recently was asked to set up the scope on a model 700 rifle. I gripped the forearm and used my thumb to push the safety forward into the safety off position and the rifle discharged, it bruised the top of my fingers with the trigger guard and scared the living H--- out of me. I have hunted and used numerous firearm my entire life and have never had a firearm discharge like this. I talked to the owner of the gun and he said he was once setting the gun down holding the barrel and when the stock touched the floor the rifle discharged and blew a hole in his hat rim. He's not the brightest bulb in the pack. Remington has trigger problem the trigger has not been tampered with on this firearm.IF YOU OWN A 700 AND I DO TOO. Change out the trigger assembly.

from JHP wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

There is a good video on YouTube that shows the Model 700 trigger, the adjustments and how it is adjusted properly and how it is adjusted improperly. Good close up views. In addition it describes how a trigger/action/safety can be checked (unloaded gun) by various manipulations of bolt, safety, trigger and bumping the butt stock. This check could apply to any rifle. I have two model 700's that have never been a problem in over 40 years. I have checked them plus every other gun i have by bumping the stock against a firm surface and never had a discharge. After the video, i performed the complete check on both rifles and they were fine. The video showed how a mis adjusted trigger does not move forward all the way after being pulled and that is the potential problem.. That could also be caused by dirt or contamination of the assembly.

from Bill Denning wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I was hunting today for deer in PA and i had some doe come by. I Was going to shoot one so i pointed my Rem 700 in the direction of the deer comming in and clicked the safety off and the gun fired. I know i had no finger on the trigger. I was using my pointer finger and thumb to turn off the safety so thier was no noise to scare the deer so i know i didnt have any pressure on the trigger. This is a real problem and it can happen. Im going to see about getting a new trigger assembly put in my gun.

This is actually the second time this happend to me. When i was younger the gun did the same thing but i thought my hands were cold and didnt realize i had a finger on the trigger. But now i think it happend then also. I have hunted for many years with many differnt bolt action rifles and never once made a mistake with having a finger on the trigger when turning the safety off.

I do believe this modle of gun has a problem.

from The Happy Hunter wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Hey everyone, I love the forum.
I bought a new 700 SPS 30.06 from my local Bass Pro on Dec. 7th 2011. It was sighted in and then used for hunting into this year. Other than the hunting, the gun has been kept in a gun cabinet and humidity controlled environment. It's been meticulously cleaned and maintained. No (ZERO) adjustments have been made to any part of the gun or trigger. To date the rifle has fired approx. 30 rounds. The last round was terrifying! My left hand was on the forearm, and I grasped the safety with my right index and thumb fingers to avoid the "click" that can spook deer. When I pushed the safety forward, to turn it "off", the gun fired! Like an earlier poster who experienced a similar misfire, I too suffered a nice gash/blood blister on my right thumb, as it absorbed most of the recoil. It's still under warranty. So I will be contacting Remington tomorrow. It seems that even the new 700's still have trigger problems. Has any one else had misfires with their newer 700's? Thanks!

from jakesnake66 wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

I don't want to start a flame war, but I'm astounded when I read about people willingly changing out their trigger as if it's no big deal that Remington continues to manufacture a gun with this ridiculously dangerous, life-threatening defect. One post goes so far as to say that $135 is a "small price to pay." Wow. So you buy a rifle with a known defect and then consider another $135 (plus the time to install) a "small price to pay." What we should do is A) Don't buy Remington products until they fix this problem, and/or B) demand that Remington fix the problem themselves - free of charge. The evidence is overwhelming that not only is the problem REAL, but Remington has been aware of it for decades. And still folks buy the gun and then willingly pay to do something they shouldn't have to just to render the gun non life threatening. Isn't there something wrong with that? Why not buy a gun from a manufacturer who cares more about safety than that? Many other guns are of equal or better quality, cost less, and you never have to worry about killing someone when you switch the safety off. It blows my mind that anyone would use a firearm where they even have to consider such a possibility. Someone please point out the logic. I fail to see any at all.

Damien, my Rem 700 was purchased in 1970. I never had an issue with the trigger on mine and the trigger has never been modified. Since my nephew is now using it I bought him a trigger for it for safety's sake. If I had newer rifle it would certainly go back to Remington. Bottom line I am not sure I buy in to this whole thing since I have never had a chance to look over one of these rifles that supposedly go off when the bolt is closed.

Damien, my Rem 700 was purchased in 1970 and the trigger has never been modified. I never had any problems with the trigger. I did purchase a Timney trigger for it since my nephew is using it. I'm still a little skeptical of this whole issue because I've never looked over one of the Remington's that failed and I know a number of people that own them and have used them for years.

from outrunner13 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

i have a 700 no problems yet but it just woke me up that there mite be

from sgtmajorusmc wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Sgtmajor usmc..Make no mistake about it but the USMC uses the 700 for most snipers in the corp. Every 700 is dismantled and "REBUILT" to the corps specs. From the ground up you might say. On my 700 I had the trigger set to a nice 3.2 lbs of pull. The safetys CAN be set between SAFE and FIRE if one is not dilligent enough to push all the way in one direction or another. The German 98 had the same problem. Even tho I never had a problem with a hot chambered shell going off, I guess it can happen if and only if a round is chambered into a hot barrel and the bolt is slammed shut with excessive force . The bolt and barrel being hot and the head-space is not correct. With my experience shooting this weapon, I really don't think the rifle is at fault.

from Pam Mainz wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Whie hunting this past weekend our son that is 16 took the saftey off and the gun fired without touching the trigger! This could have been a tradgic outcome and I'm hoping that Remington is a company that cares about these issues and that cares about those who uses their guns. Those people that made them who they are.....

Jeff & Pam Mainz
36742 Prairie Drive
Oconomowoc, WI 53066
(262)337-0614

from Brownarola wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I teach hunter education and I use a .270 model 700 for my live fire exercises. I remember a couple years ago a student of mine was having problems keeping her finger out of the trigger guard. I watched her open the bolt, chamber a round and place the firearm on safe. I noticed her finger was in the trigger gaurd once again and when she moved the selection lever from safe to fire the firearm discharged. What I discovered was when the safety was on and you pressed the trigger and then you moved the safety to fire the firing pin would fall causing the firearm to discharge. Until recently I was unaware of any issues with the Model 700 and I have hunted with my .270 for over 16 years with zero misfires, with the exception of my student whom I failed because she broke rule #2 of the 10 firearm commandments. Luckily the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction so there was no immediate danger to anyone and the student learned a valuable lesson of keeping her finger out of the trigger guard until she was ready to fire.

With that said, unless you knew about this flaw with the trigger, yes I agree that it could lead to a fatal accident, and sadly enough it has taken lives. I can see how this could also pose an issue if you were out hiking and the trigger were somehow pulled by a twig or branch and you then go to unload your firearm and get the surprise of your life. But this all goes back to firearm basics. If everyone would keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when unloading their firearm, many firearm related accidents could be prevented. That is why I stress muzzle control so much in my course, along with positive target identification, keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until they are ready to fire, and understanding what lies beyond the target (i.e. homes, people, etc).

Will I stop using the Model 700 in my hunter safety course? No.. I love my rifle and since I am aware of the flaw, it gives me a great training aid in my course and it stresses the importance that safeties can and do fail. My heart goes out to those that have lost loved ones due to this flaw and personally I believe Remington should be to some degree accountable. I also believe they should man up and fix the flaw at no cost to you or I.

from monkeyman68 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I've got a couple of 700s, one never had a problem, one started misfiring after about 10 years. It has happened about 8-10 times, kept working with the gun, took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, but it continued to intermittently misfire. Either when taking the safety off, or after firing when chambering a new round, when I'd close the bolt, it would fire. Guns are 2nd nature to me, I use them as tools, But just as any other tool, I have to be able to trust it (100% of the time) to perform when and how I choose, no exceptions. I cant trust this gun anymore, one misfire is too many.

Don't be foolish enough to think that you are capable of working around the defects of a gun, were not talking about a gun that doesn't shoot straight and adjusting your aim, this is dangerous. Right now I have a nice paperweight.

from rarmstrong wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I have a model 700 Mountain Rifle, .280, that I bought in 1985. Great rifle that I use for deer hunting in upper Michigan. Two years ago it misfired when I closed the bolt. This year it misfired when I took the safety off while lining up on a nice 8-point. From what I read, I'm not alone.

from SAWgunner wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I read Remingtons response when I was in Cabellas the other day. I wish I had a copy of it but it seemed to indicate that if you toy'd with the trigger pull weight, accidents could happen.
I'm inclined to agree with Remington and not MSNBC on this one.

from James Sullivan wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I just got a 700 adl with a x-mark pro trigger are they having a problem with these triggers or is it any remington 700

from Tina Erwin wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I have had my model 700, 243 for 14 years....I have never adjusted or done anything to it. today it wouldn't let me put safety on until I opened and re closed the bolt. When I went to see if it was still working okay by switching safety off then back on it misfired, ricocheted off of a piece of wood and hit a barn near our house and where mom was working, could have killed someone. I have done NOTHING to this rifle at all, wouldn't know how. Have had it 14 years. It scared and upset me, could have killed someone. Something needs to be done about this and NOW!!!!

from sphillips wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Does anyone know what the true fix for the issue is?

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Get a replacement trigger, a Timney or Rifle Basics

there Nothing wrong with remington Model 700's ... I own 3 of them in my previous status I stated as before, Remington 700's are trusted so much they were used as sniper rifles during wars, also used by police forces, they are well trusted guns , It's matter how people take gun safety, any gun can go off accidently .... LOOK AT WINCHESTER MODEL 94 30-30 pull hammer back, when you wanna put gun back on safe you have pull trigger ease hammer back up with your thumb, IF THE HAMMER SLIPS UNDER THUMB ....(BOOM) accident could of happen, anyone complaining about that type gun NO!!!

from Dominik Mascho wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

yes i just got my gun handed down to me its a 25-06 and i pulled the trigger it fired then when i reload i pull the trigger nothing not even a click for some reason i had to move the safety on and off to reset the firing pin then at one point it dident fire again and right before i opened the bolt it went off!

from JM wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

How old is the rifle Dominik? Sounds to me like some of the internals might need a good cleaning(old oil, dirt, etc. might be causing something to stick).

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Get a replacement trigger and safety from Timney. $135.00. I've had a Rem 700 since 1970 and mine is fine. I've thought about replacing it just to be safe since my nephew is using it some. If anyone has messed with that trigger I would definitely replace it.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

You can get a replacement Timney triger with the safety for about $135. Small price to pay.

from DSMbirddog wrote 17 weeks 6 days ago

Now we have a Boston lawyer looking for clients? Seriously...

from Buddy Earnesty wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

I have a remington model 700in 270caliber that just recently fired without pulling the trigger i shot twice and then bolted another round in the chamber and the gun went off,Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this matter.Or does someone have the number to the remington place to get it fixed.tahnks for any info

from Philip Dommenge wrote 6 weeks 7 min ago

I was elk hunting last year and while calling in a bull elk I switched the safety to fire. Without touching the trigger the rifle fired. Luckily, no one was injured (including the elk I was calling in). This is a real problem and everyone who uses the rifle should never have a cartridge chambered in till ready to fire.

from john15nlt wrote 1 week 1 day ago

I bought a Remington 700 adl 7 mag new in 1995, several hundred rounds through it and never a problem. I sold the gun in hard times to a friend and then bought it back in 2006. The gun worked flawlessly and then it happened, cold morning, chambered a round, moved the gun from safe to fire and it wouldn't budge. Slide the bolt back, and then forward and as I slide the safety off it fired and unsheathed my thumb in the process as it was all that was really behind the round. The issue was a dirty bolt, after dis assembly and deep cleaning it worked flawlessly. Then last week again, this time I knew what has happening before it happened.

from Dubbledub wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

@PAShooter: That's an ignorant characterization. Yes, the "new" mechanisms are deemed to be safe thus far, but you have no evidence to condemn every 700 misfire victim of neglect of their firearm. There has been some evidence of problems occurring after having the trigger worked (lightened), but that doesn't address every instance either. Regardless, if having your trigger lightened compromises your "safety - fire" mechanism, you've got a faulty design. Remington deserves plenty of culpability here.

from Erica Mirabella wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

If anyone owns a Remington 700 and has had a misfire, can you please call or email me if you would like to discuss? 617.580.8270 or emirabella@gnemlaw.com. Thanks!

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

bmxbiz