Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Black Bear

.243 enough for black bear?

I've been deer hunting in western Oregon with a .243 Weatherby Vanguard, I also have a black bear tag, will a .243 be enough gun for a black bear? Thanks.

Top Rated
All Replies
from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

It would do the job but you must not take iffy shots and use a premium bullet.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from 25-06 guy wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Shot placement is the key, but the deer your hunting wont bite like a bear. I would go bigger.

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Just to give you confidence if you do choose to hunt with the .243 there have been cases of people defending themselves with a .22LR and putting the bear down with a shot to the head. I've killed a black bear with a .30-30 with a 150 yard shot....so if a 30-30 can handle it at that distance a .270 should have no problem.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Smitty18 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

The smallest gun in our bear camp is a .270 everyone else uses a .308 or a .30-06.
Well I guess the smallest is a .44 mag revolver that two of our guys carry as backups.
I use a .308 with 150 or 180 grain Core-Lokts.

from MCGullikson wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

A few years ago a buddy of mine took an irresponsible and unprepared shot on a black bear with a .325 WSM. When the gutshot bear took off running, I was out at 280 yds with my .243 loaded with 47-grain Hornady V-Max (I was looking for coyotes). My buddy was suddenly too busy calling everyone he knew to tell them he shot a bear (and doing an endzone-style dance) to finish the job, so I took aim at the bear's shoulder blade (given the angle of the shot, right into the heart) and dropped him dead with one touch. So I KNOW it CAN be done, as obviously from this, shot placement supersedes bullet size, but I'd never go looking for bear with anything less than a .308. Needless to say, he hasn't been invited hunting with me since.

from CCMJS wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

You CAN kill an elephant with a 243. But should you try it?

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Smitty18 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I would agree with JM1993, shoot the bear one or two extra times. When my dad killed his he shot it twice with a .300 savage and thought it was dead. He walked up to it and put his gun down to get ready to skin and the blackie got up and charged. One well placed shot from the chest carried .44 magnum to the bears head stopped her.

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

A bigger gun would be better, but without a doubt a .243 will kill a black bear. Make sure that initial shot is fatal, but dont be afraid to send a follow up shot or two...the more shots on a bear the better in my opinion.

It will handle a black assuming you make a clean shot in the head or behind the shoulder. I personnally would have to say use a bigger gun. .300 savage or .308.

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

from CCMJS wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

You CAN kill an elephant with a 243. But should you try it?

+3 Good Comment? | | Report

It will handle a black assuming you make a clean shot in the head or behind the shoulder. I personnally would have to say use a bigger gun. .300 savage or .308.

I would agree with JM1993, shoot the bear one or two extra times. When my dad killed his he shot it twice with a .300 savage and thought it was dead. He walked up to it and put his gun down to get ready to skin and the blackie got up and charged. One well placed shot from the chest carried .44 magnum to the bears head stopped her.

from MCGullikson wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

A few years ago a buddy of mine took an irresponsible and unprepared shot on a black bear with a .325 WSM. When the gutshot bear took off running, I was out at 280 yds with my .243 loaded with 47-grain Hornady V-Max (I was looking for coyotes). My buddy was suddenly too busy calling everyone he knew to tell them he shot a bear (and doing an endzone-style dance) to finish the job, so I took aim at the bear's shoulder blade (given the angle of the shot, right into the heart) and dropped him dead with one touch. So I KNOW it CAN be done, as obviously from this, shot placement supersedes bullet size, but I'd never go looking for bear with anything less than a .308. Needless to say, he hasn't been invited hunting with me since.

from Smitty18 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

The smallest gun in our bear camp is a .270 everyone else uses a .308 or a .30-06.
Well I guess the smallest is a .44 mag revolver that two of our guys carry as backups.
I use a .308 with 150 or 180 grain Core-Lokts.

from 25-06 guy wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Shot placement is the key, but the deer your hunting wont bite like a bear. I would go bigger.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

It would do the job but you must not take iffy shots and use a premium bullet.

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

A bigger gun would be better, but without a doubt a .243 will kill a black bear. Make sure that initial shot is fatal, but dont be afraid to send a follow up shot or two...the more shots on a bear the better in my opinion.

from JM1993 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Just to give you confidence if you do choose to hunt with the .243 there have been cases of people defending themselves with a .22LR and putting the bear down with a shot to the head. I've killed a black bear with a .30-30 with a 150 yard shot....so if a 30-30 can handle it at that distance a .270 should have no problem.

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

bmxbiz