Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Whitetail Deer

25-06 or 308. Gun brand as well

Alright guys I am in the market for a new gun. I am set on a stainless barrel and a synthetic stock and I am thinking the silver nikon 4.5-14 x 40 scope. I am stuck between a 25-06 and a 308. The only rifle I currently own is a savage 30-06 and I just want something different. I know that the 308 is extremely similar to the 30-06 except for the shorter cartridge and less recoil but I have just always wanted one. I understand the 25-06 is also great for deer with the right ammo and would be something quite a bit different. I was just wanting some opinions from the pros on what you would do. I am also stuck on which brand to buy. I can get a savage 116, remington 700, or a ruger in the stainless barrel and synthetic stock for similar prices but I don't know which to choose either. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Top Rated
All Replies
from Kody wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I like the 25-06 and have owned two different ruger 77s, winchester Model 70 Classic, Remington 700 Classic, Tikka and now own a Browning X Bolt in that caliber. I have shot deer and antelope at varying ranges and with a wide range of handloaded bullets in 115 gr, 117 gr and 120 gr weights. It is a relatively simple cartridge to reload and as a bonus your empty 30-06 rounds can be sized down to the 25-06. I find it to be poor advise to suggest selling your 30-06 as it remains a better all round gun than the .308 or the 25-06. You appear to be looking for something different that performs better in certain circumstances. The 25-06 is an offspring of the 30-06 and it does do a better job of shooting flatter with its lighter bullets. Other than using a shorter action there is NOTHING that a .308 can do that an 'accurate' 30-06 can't do better. A 150 gr bullets struggles to go 2800 fps in a .308 while the 06 can push it at 3000 fps. On the other end of the spectrum the .308 faulters quickly when firing a 180 gr bullet which is meat and potatoes for the -06. buy the 25-06 and you get something different. The Remington was too accurate to sell many years ago but I needed the money.. the Rugers used a magnum weight barrel which was troublesome and unable to deliver in the accuracy department. I went through two of them to come to this conclusion. Did I get two lemons? Whatever, it was the end of that experiment for me. I was not impressed by the Model 70 but the quality now appears to be back in that model. The Tikka is an accurate rifle out of the box but is is also gone. The X Bolt will stay as it is the first that I have found that shoots as well as that Classic Rem from years ago. I have since purchased the X Bolt in a 300 Winchester and it is a very accurate rifle.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Keep the 30-06 and get a 25-06. Then you will have a good 30 caliber you are familiar with and a new rifle to experiment with. I think Savage is making some great rifles and I would stick with the brand you know.

from land_cruiser_73 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

If you are tired of you 30.06, and have always wanted a .308, then I say- get em both! Buy the 25.06 and trade your 30.06 for a .308. I agree that having an .06 and a .308 would be redundant. Be careful, or before you know it, you'll own 'too many' guns ;).

from 25-06 guy wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I own both calibers you are talking about. The 308 is a sweet heart caliber, like you said almost matching 30-06 in ballistics until you start into the bullets over 180 GRS. The 25-06 is a great caliber also with todays bullets and powder its a tough one to beat. a 110 gr Accubond at over 3100 fps is an awesome deer round. And a 75 gr v-max at 3500 fps groundhogs and coyote don't stand a chance. Hand loading ammo with the 25-06 is the ticket, and a 120 gr nosler partition or 115 gr barnes will hold up to larger game if kept within reason.

from bigjake wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

I have owned both calibers each in a Rem 700 and both worked exceptionally well,but I take favor with the .308,its a far more versatile round.The .25/06 is a great round if you dont plan on ethically shooting at anything larger than a mule deer.With the .308 black bear,hogs,elk and even moose can be taken with confidence.Not to mention that depending on where you live .25/06 ammo and be tricky to find at your local dealer(costs me $47 a box for em where I live because the .25/06 isnt popular here)

from HawkEye wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I would go with the 25-06. It comes in lighter bullet weights that would suffice for varmint hunting. And it is an excellent deer cartridge. I have one and it is fast becoming my favorite hunting rifle. The 30-06 and .308 are both good but I would use them for the same purposes. Which is why I bring up varmints and the like. Diversify the purposes. As for brand any of the 3 you mentioned is excellent quality. I love all 3 brands. I am a Ruger man because they are built like a tank. Savage because of the accu-trigger. Remington because, well, it's Remington. My advise is to go handle all of them then decide.

from Johnnie wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

My take on a pro: If, you handload your own ammo a .308 would be a good choice. That way you can buy .30 caliber bullets and use them either for the .308 or 30-06.
I've been wanting to get a .308 and there is a Savage I have my eye on. I like Savage firearms, so I will lean towards a vote for the Savage in .308 Winchester. I have a Savage 110 in .270 Winchester that will put three shots under a 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

from Johnnie wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

My take on a pro: If, you handload your own ammo a .308 would be a good choice. That way you can buy .30 caliber bullets and use them either for the .308 or 30-06.
I've been wanting to get a .308 and there is a Savage I have my eye on. I like Savage firearms, so I will lean towards a vote for the Savage in .308 Winchester. I have a Savage 110 in .270 Winchester that will put three shots under a 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

from HawkEye wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I would go with the 25-06. It comes in lighter bullet weights that would suffice for varmint hunting. And it is an excellent deer cartridge. I have one and it is fast becoming my favorite hunting rifle. The 30-06 and .308 are both good but I would use them for the same purposes. Which is why I bring up varmints and the like. Diversify the purposes. As for brand any of the 3 you mentioned is excellent quality. I love all 3 brands. I am a Ruger man because they are built like a tank. Savage because of the accu-trigger. Remington because, well, it's Remington. My advise is to go handle all of them then decide.

from bigjake wrote 3 years 18 weeks ago

I have owned both calibers each in a Rem 700 and both worked exceptionally well,but I take favor with the .308,its a far more versatile round.The .25/06 is a great round if you dont plan on ethically shooting at anything larger than a mule deer.With the .308 black bear,hogs,elk and even moose can be taken with confidence.Not to mention that depending on where you live .25/06 ammo and be tricky to find at your local dealer(costs me $47 a box for em where I live because the .25/06 isnt popular here)

from 25-06 guy wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I own both calibers you are talking about. The 308 is a sweet heart caliber, like you said almost matching 30-06 in ballistics until you start into the bullets over 180 GRS. The 25-06 is a great caliber also with todays bullets and powder its a tough one to beat. a 110 gr Accubond at over 3100 fps is an awesome deer round. And a 75 gr v-max at 3500 fps groundhogs and coyote don't stand a chance. Hand loading ammo with the 25-06 is the ticket, and a 120 gr nosler partition or 115 gr barnes will hold up to larger game if kept within reason.

from land_cruiser_73 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

If you are tired of you 30.06, and have always wanted a .308, then I say- get em both! Buy the 25.06 and trade your 30.06 for a .308. I agree that having an .06 and a .308 would be redundant. Be careful, or before you know it, you'll own 'too many' guns ;).

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Keep the 30-06 and get a 25-06. Then you will have a good 30 caliber you are familiar with and a new rifle to experiment with. I think Savage is making some great rifles and I would stick with the brand you know.

from Kody wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I like the 25-06 and have owned two different ruger 77s, winchester Model 70 Classic, Remington 700 Classic, Tikka and now own a Browning X Bolt in that caliber. I have shot deer and antelope at varying ranges and with a wide range of handloaded bullets in 115 gr, 117 gr and 120 gr weights. It is a relatively simple cartridge to reload and as a bonus your empty 30-06 rounds can be sized down to the 25-06. I find it to be poor advise to suggest selling your 30-06 as it remains a better all round gun than the .308 or the 25-06. You appear to be looking for something different that performs better in certain circumstances. The 25-06 is an offspring of the 30-06 and it does do a better job of shooting flatter with its lighter bullets. Other than using a shorter action there is NOTHING that a .308 can do that an 'accurate' 30-06 can't do better. A 150 gr bullets struggles to go 2800 fps in a .308 while the 06 can push it at 3000 fps. On the other end of the spectrum the .308 faulters quickly when firing a 180 gr bullet which is meat and potatoes for the -06. buy the 25-06 and you get something different. The Remington was too accurate to sell many years ago but I needed the money.. the Rugers used a magnum weight barrel which was troublesome and unable to deliver in the accuracy department. I went through two of them to come to this conclusion. Did I get two lemons? Whatever, it was the end of that experiment for me. I was not impressed by the Model 70 but the quality now appears to be back in that model. The Tikka is an accurate rifle out of the box but is is also gone. The X Bolt will stay as it is the first that I have found that shoots as well as that Classic Rem from years ago. I have since purchased the X Bolt in a 300 Winchester and it is a very accurate rifle.

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

bmxbiz