Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Guns & Loads

223 or 22-250

I am going to get a new varmit rifle and was wondering which is better a 223 or a 22-250 and what are the ranges for these two guns

Top Rated
All Replies
from Beau wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

The thing to realize here is the fact that both of these cartridges are shooting the same bullet. 50-72 grain .224 cal projectile. The .223 is a bit cheaper and easier to find ammo for (in my area) and the 22-250 is said to wear out barrels faster (due to the increased velocity). For me personally I'm a big fan of the .223. Are you really needing to shoot a yote past 300 yards anyway? if so may I suggest a nice electronic call...

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from Kody wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

I bought a CZ Model 527 in .223 that shoulders perfectly for me. It was also extremely light and when you have issues holding a heavy forearm of a rifle such things are a consideration. If the choice is a toss up then the best deal on the rifle, its weight or the one that fits you best should guide your selection.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from birdhunter123 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

It depends on what distance you are shooting? if long rang is your style 22-250 is the way to go. but if buying factory loads go with the 223 way cheaper to shoot and practice. i have both these calibers and am a reloader.

from dilerium23 wrote 4 years 45 weeks ago

Honestly.... go test out both guns and and decide for yourself. I think it's all going to be a personal opinion so whatever one feels right, go with that.

from froglaps wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To lilman_d_11:New York also allows ANY CENTERFIRE rifle to harvest deer in rifle zones too!Descriptions of Legal Implements for Big Game Hunting Implement Description
Bow Long (stick), recurve or compound bow with a draw weight in excess of 35 pounds. A legal arrowhead is non-barbed, has 2 or more cutting edges and is at least 7/8 inches wide.
Muzzleloader Firearm loaded through the muzzle, a minimum bore of .44 inches and shooting a single projectile. Scopes may now be used during the Special Muzzleloading Season in addition to the Regular Big Game Season and the Early Bear Season. See Muzzleloading section of regulations for special requirements during the muzzleloading season.
Handgun* any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length maximum is 16 inches
(NOTE: Possession of handguns in New York State requires a NYS Pistol Permit. New York does not recognize permits issued by other states.)
Shotgun* Must be 20 gauge of larger and fire a single projectile, rifling in the barrel or choke is allowed
Rifle* any centerfire rifle.

from Bo wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I know several people in Oklahoma that have taken deer with .223.
The Oklahoma regs state "Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal)"

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Big O wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

The .223 ammo is cheaper in "factory" rounds.
To lilman_d_11: Several places allow the .223 to be used for deer(Ar.,La.Both Carolina's).
As a matter of fact I think the Carolina's allow the .22-250 as well.
They also allow you to use these rounds for turkeys in some states as well.

from varmit265 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

it depends on the range 22-250s have better range, but 223s have more take down power but shorter range. it depends on the terrain of the land that you are hunting. like for big fields a 22-250 would work

from whitemantm wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Ultimately, it comes down to how serious you want to get. If you are an individual that dedicates time to hand loading cartridges, the 223 has quite a few options for you to play around with and get the accuracy you are looking for. If you are looking for a quick fix, i find it hard to beat the factory loads of the 22-250.

from HILAWZ45 wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

.223 has many more options as to rifle types and action types. I use a single shot bull barrel for coyotes and javelina...and my ar guns are good for fast followup shots on pests in the area. Kinda hard to choose the .22-250 such a screamer that uses up guns faster.

from Kelzey Gallagher wrote 5 years 14 weeks ago

22250 is what i have and it works out just fine

from bighunter wrote 5 years 17 weeks ago

i like both but i prefer a 22 250

from deerhunter125 wrote 5 years 18 weeks ago

thanks for all ur information. i ended up going with the 223 and i shot it toady and liked it. i havent shot very far with it yet that will be tomorrow.

from CoyoteGod wrote 5 years 19 weeks ago

I have a 22-250 Rem 700 and absolutely love it. This gun is an absolute tack driver and will out gun a .223 any day unless you need to shoot really fast. I can get a ton more range out of my 22-250 than a .223.

I have a 22-250 Rem 700 and absolutely love it. This gun is an absolute tack driver and will out gun a .223 any day unless you need to shoot really fast. I can get a ton more range out of my 22-250 than a .223.

from Big Game Boy wrote 5 years 19 weeks ago

Shot placement. I just happened to shoot a deer this last season in the neck with my 22-250, and had no problem with it. It fell down and died. I do understand that you aren't going to go around shooting grizzly bears and elephants with it, but I find it completely adequate if you can make the right shot. I just happen to be able to do that.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from pecos04 wrote 5 years 20 weeks ago

Just read a couple of other comments,, it boils down to where you hit them at not what you hit them with, I know too many people who shoot a big gun to make up for poor marksmanship, stay with a gun you can shoot and put the bullet where it belongs.. DON'T take shots that aren't ethical... I got a 6 year old daughter that has harvested several deer the farthest one went was 80 yards,, of course he was shot with a bow put it where it belongs and don't fret over you have a big enough gun!!

Lil man there are a couple states that allow them for deer South Dakota is one. The good thing about the .223 is cheap ammo(military case) and easy to find, but the 22-250 is quite abit faster I own 2 of both for coyotes I prefer the 22-250 but on cats I like the .223.. comes down to personal preference,, both are very accurate over 400 yards. If your deer rifle is a .243 and a .270 go with the .223 their ballistics are very similar.. 55 gr in .223 100 in the .243 and 130 in the .270.. then if you go for elk the .300 matches good also,,

from tyler1991 wrote 5 years 22 weeks ago

I own a .204 ruger with a 25" target barrel and it's probally one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot, but if I had to pick between those two it would be the .223 for sure.

from sucngas wrote 5 years 22 weeks ago

Ok, I'll throw a wrench in the works. I love my 220 swift and wouldn't trade it for either one of those calibers. I have a ruger mark II target rifle that will shoot sub 1/4" groups with my handloads. I have a feeling the reason the groups aren't smaller than that isn't the guns fault either (hey, I can only hold the gun so still). The velocity is amazing, as for range, it is realitivly easy to shoot ground squirrels in the head out to 300 yards or so. I am so amazed with the 220 swift that I could never recommend any other 22 cal, but in reality there is nothing wrong with either chose you listed.

from greybeard2001 wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I personally love my .22-250 for any varmit. I know some out there will be just as passionate about their .223 . You did say varmit in your question, not deer, so I will say it is personal preference with no more difference in the two calibers than there is. I believe the .250 is flatter shooting and harder hitting but a ton of varmits fall to .223's every year. Get proficent and comfortable with your choice and go kill some hogs! Making your rig as accurate as possible and practice will raise your hit ratio. The nut on the trigger is as important as any on the gun!

from 6phunter wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I WAS INTERESTED MYSELF HOW THINGS STACKED UP HERE ,22-250 or ,223 i had only shot the latter so i enjoyed coyote inc, comparisons and insight , i also voted him one up because i don't assume to know everything/to Lilman-d=11 KENTUCKY REGS, SAY ANY CENTERFIRE WEAPON IS LEGAL HERE , personally i don't think it's an adequate deer rifle/but i was told by a accomplised shooter that they did suffiencent damage. I even believe the 243, is a bit on the light side /but i'm sure they;ll be plenty who say otherwise,

from lilman_d_11 wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

squirrelhunter where are you from cause i have never heard of a state letting you shoot deer with a .223.....or a 22-250 in that matter

from squirrelhunter wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

Defintiely 223. it is perfect for young deer hunters going for a first deer. I also think hthe 243.'s are excellent they'll never feel the kick.

from coyote inc wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I use an AR type rifle in .223 for coyotes and I also use a bolt action 22-250. The 22-250 is a legendary predator slayer, flatter than flat tragectory, plenty of down range thumping power. It is the most versitile of the 22 calibers for reloaders, handling velocities from 1500 fps to 4500 fps. I rate the 22-250 excellent all the way around. The .223 is also a good choice, low recoil, fairly flat shooting out to 300 yards, stopping power on predators is good. Best of all, it comes in a semi-auto AR platform. I started my predator hunting career with this caliber (a bolt gun)and have always kept one handy. I guess it really comes down to your type of shooting. Do you expect a lot of long shots past 300 yards?...22-250. Do you hunt thick stuff where a snap shot or multiple shots may be needed?....223. Also the .223 is easier on pelts if your hunting fur, it costs less to reload, but components may be hard to get now-a-days. Personally, I have taken more predators with the .223 than any other caliber. It is the best caliber in my opiniun.

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Aaron1991 wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

ive never shot a 223 but as far as a .22/250 goes in the hands of a competent marksman 400 yards is nothin

i;m not really in a position to judge the difference/ but after shooting the 223,cal i was impressed with it's downrange accuracy.

from CCMJS wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I plan on getting a new varmit rifle also. Mine will be a Ruger #1 in .223. I already have an AR type varmit in .223. It's not right or wrong its just my choice.

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

from coyote inc wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I use an AR type rifle in .223 for coyotes and I also use a bolt action 22-250. The 22-250 is a legendary predator slayer, flatter than flat tragectory, plenty of down range thumping power. It is the most versitile of the 22 calibers for reloaders, handling velocities from 1500 fps to 4500 fps. I rate the 22-250 excellent all the way around. The .223 is also a good choice, low recoil, fairly flat shooting out to 300 yards, stopping power on predators is good. Best of all, it comes in a semi-auto AR platform. I started my predator hunting career with this caliber (a bolt gun)and have always kept one handy. I guess it really comes down to your type of shooting. Do you expect a lot of long shots past 300 yards?...22-250. Do you hunt thick stuff where a snap shot or multiple shots may be needed?....223. Also the .223 is easier on pelts if your hunting fur, it costs less to reload, but components may be hard to get now-a-days. Personally, I have taken more predators with the .223 than any other caliber. It is the best caliber in my opiniun.

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from greybeard2001 wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I personally love my .22-250 for any varmit. I know some out there will be just as passionate about their .223 . You did say varmit in your question, not deer, so I will say it is personal preference with no more difference in the two calibers than there is. I believe the .250 is flatter shooting and harder hitting but a ton of varmits fall to .223's every year. Get proficent and comfortable with your choice and go kill some hogs! Making your rig as accurate as possible and practice will raise your hit ratio. The nut on the trigger is as important as any on the gun!

from HILAWZ45 wrote 5 years 13 weeks ago

.223 has many more options as to rifle types and action types. I use a single shot bull barrel for coyotes and javelina...and my ar guns are good for fast followup shots on pests in the area. Kinda hard to choose the .22-250 such a screamer that uses up guns faster.

from Big O wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

The .223 ammo is cheaper in "factory" rounds.
To lilman_d_11: Several places allow the .223 to be used for deer(Ar.,La.Both Carolina's).
As a matter of fact I think the Carolina's allow the .22-250 as well.
They also allow you to use these rounds for turkeys in some states as well.

from Bo wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I know several people in Oklahoma that have taken deer with .223.
The Oklahoma regs state "Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal)"

from Aaron1991 wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

ive never shot a 223 but as far as a .22/250 goes in the hands of a competent marksman 400 yards is nothin

I WAS INTERESTED MYSELF HOW THINGS STACKED UP HERE ,22-250 or ,223 i had only shot the latter so i enjoyed coyote inc, comparisons and insight , i also voted him one up because i don't assume to know everything/to Lilman-d=11 KENTUCKY REGS, SAY ANY CENTERFIRE WEAPON IS LEGAL HERE , personally i don't think it's an adequate deer rifle/but i was told by a accomplised shooter that they did suffiencent damage. I even believe the 243, is a bit on the light side /but i'm sure they;ll be plenty who say otherwise,

from sucngas wrote 5 years 22 weeks ago

Ok, I'll throw a wrench in the works. I love my 220 swift and wouldn't trade it for either one of those calibers. I have a ruger mark II target rifle that will shoot sub 1/4" groups with my handloads. I have a feeling the reason the groups aren't smaller than that isn't the guns fault either (hey, I can only hold the gun so still). The velocity is amazing, as for range, it is realitivly easy to shoot ground squirrels in the head out to 300 yards or so. I am so amazed with the 220 swift that I could never recommend any other 22 cal, but in reality there is nothing wrong with either chose you listed.

from tyler1991 wrote 5 years 22 weeks ago

I own a .204 ruger with a 25" target barrel and it's probally one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot, but if I had to pick between those two it would be the .223 for sure.

Lil man there are a couple states that allow them for deer South Dakota is one. The good thing about the .223 is cheap ammo(military case) and easy to find, but the 22-250 is quite abit faster I own 2 of both for coyotes I prefer the 22-250 but on cats I like the .223.. comes down to personal preference,, both are very accurate over 400 yards. If your deer rifle is a .243 and a .270 go with the .223 their ballistics are very similar.. 55 gr in .223 100 in the .243 and 130 in the .270.. then if you go for elk the .300 matches good also,,

Just read a couple of other comments,, it boils down to where you hit them at not what you hit them with, I know too many people who shoot a big gun to make up for poor marksmanship, stay with a gun you can shoot and put the bullet where it belongs.. DON'T take shots that aren't ethical... I got a 6 year old daughter that has harvested several deer the farthest one went was 80 yards,, of course he was shot with a bow put it where it belongs and don't fret over you have a big enough gun!!

from bighunter wrote 5 years 17 weeks ago

i like both but i prefer a 22 250

from whitemantm wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Ultimately, it comes down to how serious you want to get. If you are an individual that dedicates time to hand loading cartridges, the 223 has quite a few options for you to play around with and get the accuracy you are looking for. If you are looking for a quick fix, i find it hard to beat the factory loads of the 22-250.

from froglaps wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To lilman_d_11:New York also allows ANY CENTERFIRE rifle to harvest deer in rifle zones too!Descriptions of Legal Implements for Big Game Hunting Implement Description
Bow Long (stick), recurve or compound bow with a draw weight in excess of 35 pounds. A legal arrowhead is non-barbed, has 2 or more cutting edges and is at least 7/8 inches wide.
Muzzleloader Firearm loaded through the muzzle, a minimum bore of .44 inches and shooting a single projectile. Scopes may now be used during the Special Muzzleloading Season in addition to the Regular Big Game Season and the Early Bear Season. See Muzzleloading section of regulations for special requirements during the muzzleloading season.
Handgun* any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length maximum is 16 inches
(NOTE: Possession of handguns in New York State requires a NYS Pistol Permit. New York does not recognize permits issued by other states.)
Shotgun* Must be 20 gauge of larger and fire a single projectile, rifling in the barrel or choke is allowed
Rifle* any centerfire rifle.

from dilerium23 wrote 4 years 45 weeks ago

Honestly.... go test out both guns and and decide for yourself. I think it's all going to be a personal opinion so whatever one feels right, go with that.

from Kody wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

I bought a CZ Model 527 in .223 that shoulders perfectly for me. It was also extremely light and when you have issues holding a heavy forearm of a rifle such things are a consideration. If the choice is a toss up then the best deal on the rifle, its weight or the one that fits you best should guide your selection.

from CCMJS wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

I plan on getting a new varmit rifle also. Mine will be a Ruger #1 in .223. I already have an AR type varmit in .223. It's not right or wrong its just my choice.

i;m not really in a position to judge the difference/ but after shooting the 223,cal i was impressed with it's downrange accuracy.

from lilman_d_11 wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

squirrelhunter where are you from cause i have never heard of a state letting you shoot deer with a .223.....or a 22-250 in that matter

from deerhunter125 wrote 5 years 18 weeks ago

thanks for all ur information. i ended up going with the 223 and i shot it toady and liked it. i havent shot very far with it yet that will be tomorrow.

from Kelzey Gallagher wrote 5 years 14 weeks ago

22250 is what i have and it works out just fine

from varmit265 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

it depends on the range 22-250s have better range, but 223s have more take down power but shorter range. it depends on the terrain of the land that you are hunting. like for big fields a 22-250 would work

from birdhunter123 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

It depends on what distance you are shooting? if long rang is your style 22-250 is the way to go. but if buying factory loads go with the 223 way cheaper to shoot and practice. i have both these calibers and am a reloader.

from Beau wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

The thing to realize here is the fact that both of these cartridges are shooting the same bullet. 50-72 grain .224 cal projectile. The .223 is a bit cheaper and easier to find ammo for (in my area) and the 22-250 is said to wear out barrels faster (due to the increased velocity). For me personally I'm a big fan of the .223. Are you really needing to shoot a yote past 300 yards anyway? if so may I suggest a nice electronic call...

from squirrelhunter wrote 5 years 23 weeks ago

Defintiely 223. it is perfect for young deer hunters going for a first deer. I also think hthe 243.'s are excellent they'll never feel the kick.

from Big Game Boy wrote 5 years 19 weeks ago

Shot placement. I just happened to shoot a deer this last season in the neck with my 22-250, and had no problem with it. It fell down and died. I do understand that you aren't going to go around shooting grizzly bears and elephants with it, but I find it completely adequate if you can make the right shot. I just happen to be able to do that.

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

bmxbiz