Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Guns & Loads

Need trajectory / load info for Remington 700 ML

I'm shooting Hornady XTP 240 with 100 grain of pyrodex and getting groups so tight at 50 yds that bullets are going through the same hole on consecutive shots. Someone told me that I need a much heavier bullet if I want to take 100+ yard shots. They said the heavier bullets hold more energy and will actually fly farther. A few questions: How far can I reasonably expect to shoot and KILL a deer with the 240 / 100 setup I use? If I want to zero at 100 yards, where should I site in at 50? PS: they also said that the 240 are a pistol bullet and NOT meant for rifes. IMO they WORK! But he was concerned about the energy factor. Trajectory tables / info? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

ddtpt

Top Rated
All Replies
from Uncle John wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Ok, add another loading step which is run a borebutter patch down the bore each time you shoot. It aids in loading and makes the bore consistant shot to shot. Your ballistics are about right to 150 yards with that load of 100 grains more than enough for deer. I like the 150 grain charges (three pellet loads) with that the trajectory is one inch high at 50 yards, dead on at 100, 3 inches low at 150 and 11 inches low at 200. Although the 100 grain is effective like a 44 magnum the 150 grain load makes it a medium 45-70 with much more knock down if you think you need it.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from NEPAhunter wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

You didn't say what your hunting with it, but I'm assuming whitetails. I've used the exact same load in my 700ML-SS for years, with similar results (assuming you're using the 240 grain XTP with a sabot and Pyrodex pellets.) I can't give you exact #s for trajectory, energy, etc., but when dead on at 100yds, I'm about 3" high at 50yds and about 4" low at 150yds. Other hunters I know using similar loads have told me to use ballistic charts for a 44mag with 240grain bullets. This bullet was originally designed as a hunting bullet for the 44mag. A friend handloads this bullet for the 44mag and uses it sucessfully in his Marlin 1894 levergun on whitetails out to 150yds and S&W revolver to 100yds. Shot placement is key, so the best way to know where it hits is to shoot it at various ranges.

Only problem with it is that after 2 rounds, the bore gets pretty dirty and will need a good cleaning, or you'll get a hernia trying to ram it down the barrel. I usually clean between every shot. Also, not sure what primers you're using. I've best results with Remington Kleenbore 209's (designed for muzzleloaders.)

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Kody wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

The 230 gr lead round ball with 100 grs of pyrodex in a .54 is a deer killer from way back. That pistol bullet has advantages over the round ball in terms of flight and expansion upon impact. I say that 'someone' is wrong and if that bullet is accurate as you say, then it would be a good choice.

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)

from Kody wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

The 230 gr lead round ball with 100 grs of pyrodex in a .54 is a deer killer from way back. That pistol bullet has advantages over the round ball in terms of flight and expansion upon impact. I say that 'someone' is wrong and if that bullet is accurate as you say, then it would be a good choice.

from NEPAhunter wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

You didn't say what your hunting with it, but I'm assuming whitetails. I've used the exact same load in my 700ML-SS for years, with similar results (assuming you're using the 240 grain XTP with a sabot and Pyrodex pellets.) I can't give you exact #s for trajectory, energy, etc., but when dead on at 100yds, I'm about 3" high at 50yds and about 4" low at 150yds. Other hunters I know using similar loads have told me to use ballistic charts for a 44mag with 240grain bullets. This bullet was originally designed as a hunting bullet for the 44mag. A friend handloads this bullet for the 44mag and uses it sucessfully in his Marlin 1894 levergun on whitetails out to 150yds and S&W revolver to 100yds. Shot placement is key, so the best way to know where it hits is to shoot it at various ranges.

Only problem with it is that after 2 rounds, the bore gets pretty dirty and will need a good cleaning, or you'll get a hernia trying to ram it down the barrel. I usually clean between every shot. Also, not sure what primers you're using. I've best results with Remington Kleenbore 209's (designed for muzzleloaders.)

from Uncle John wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Ok, add another loading step which is run a borebutter patch down the bore each time you shoot. It aids in loading and makes the bore consistant shot to shot. Your ballistics are about right to 150 yards with that load of 100 grains more than enough for deer. I like the 150 grain charges (three pellet loads) with that the trajectory is one inch high at 50 yards, dead on at 100, 3 inches low at 150 and 11 inches low at 200. Although the 100 grain is effective like a 44 magnum the 150 grain load makes it a medium 45-70 with much more knock down if you think you need it.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report

Post a Reply (200 characters or less)