Essential Outdoor Skill: Make an Underhand Cast
An underhand cast is the best way to present a bait with precision. Here’s how to do it. 1. Allow...
An underhand cast is the best way to present a bait with precision. Here’s how to do it.
1. Allow your bait to hang a few inches from the rod tip.
2. With your casting elbow close to your body, stand at about a 45-degree angle to the intended target.
3. With the spool disengaged, quickly roll your casting wrist clockwise, allowing the bait’s weight to load the rod.
4. Feather the line with your thumb to control cast speed and length.
5. Keep the bait’s trajectory as close to the water’s surface as possible to minimize fish-spooking splash.