Tis the Season: Plants Poisonous to Dogs

It's that time of year when friends and family gather for holiday celebrations. It's also the time of year when your house is filled with foods and plants potentially deadly to your hunting dog, and especially to puppies.

Most of us know that chocolate can kill a dog, but did you know grapes/raisins can too? What about the effects of common holiday plants like the poinsettia and mistletoe?

While not all plants will kill, in fact most will just cause some sort of discomfort, you should at least have an idea of which cause irritation and which could prove deadly.

With so many opportunities for the actions of a dog, and especially a puppy, to go unnoticed during hectic gatherings, take the time beforehand and put potential troublemakers out of reach.

If your dog does ingest a toxic substance, be it food or flora, call an emergency vet immediately for instruction on how to counter the effects.

Check out this list of plants from cybercanine.com, which contains plant names, which parts are poisonous and what clinical signs your pup will display.

Additionally, here is a list from Cornell University Department of Animal Science. Simply select "dogs" in the "Species Most Often Affected" field and hit return.

This link contains not only a list of indoor and outdoor plants and their effects, but also some steps to take to combat the poison and speed recovery.

It's always best to consult your vet or poison center if you suspect your pooch has ingested something poisonous, but it's even better to avoid problems in the first place. Put plants up on tables or shelves, away from curious canines, and make sure they can't get into holiday treats like chocolate (and makes sure that misguided visitors with too many libations in them don't contribute to the problem!).

Have a happy and safe holiday!