Truth really is stranger than fiction. And the story of George the basset hound provides proof of the axiom.
George, who apparently isn’t that smart, according to owner Lydia Brown, somehow got tangled in the phone cord and had swallowed so much of it that it was choking him. At some point the Dumbo-eared doggie dialed emergency services on the rotary phone; police were dispatched to investigate the desperate breathing on the other end of the line.
Four policemen and a neighbor entered the house, expecting to find an injured person. The neighbor found George, pulled the cord from his esophagus and saved the hound.
Here’s what he told the Sun: “The police split up and ran through the house thinking someone had either been attacked or was desperately ill. I went to look round as well and walked into this room and saw George choking.
He was absolutely terrified and could not free himself. I knew I had to get him free quickly so I just ripped the wire out.
“Incredibly you could see where his paw print was on the phone to ring 999 — he literally saved his own life.”
Not only does this little story attest to the fact that you can’t make stuff like this up, it also underscores why we in America need to stand vigilant against European influence. I mean, really, who the hell uses rotary phones nowadays?