Blogs—And Dogs—Will Swallow Anything

OK, the old Newshound hasn’t tracked down a good dog tale to post in awhile.

A story currently making its way around the blogs tells of a Colorado family’s Labrador retriever that is no worse for the wear after swallowing—and subsequently regurgitating—a boy’s videogame remote control unit.Remote

According to the circulating reports, the Becknell family from Loveland, Colorado, became concerned when their 3-year-old Lab began spitting up blood last week. An X-ray taken at a veterinarian’s office indicated an object located in the dog’s stomach.

Depending on versions of the story, the vet administered (or did not) a medication to induce an outward movement of the Lab’s stomach contents, causing the animal to produce a Nintendo Wii remote control.

“The vet started massaging the dog’s belly and it just came flying out of the dog,” said Marie Becknell. “I knew what it was right away by the color and shape of it. It was my son’s video game remote!”

The dog was said to have recovered fully, while the remote control did not.

But not so fast, bloggers.

Brandon Lowrey, a reporter for the Loveland Reporter-Herald, was unable to confirm the story or track down a Becknell family in Loveland.

He did, however, locate vets who said that the story was certainly a believable one.

“Dogs’ll eat anything. It’s crazy,” said Loveland’s Dr. Sherry Schubert, who said she didn’t treat the dog in question. “We deal with it all the time.”

Dr. Schubert went on to give the reporter a few examples: like a doll’s rubber hand, corks, toothpicks, rocks and diamond rings.

I’m sure any dog owner—and particularly Lab owners—would certainly concur the story is indeed fathomable. In fact, my neighbor’s Lab recently needed surgery to remove a sealed package of cheese and crackers from its insides.

How about it, Newshound readers? Any crazy canine consumption stories to share?