- Just thinking about biting into a crispy cricket activates my gag reflex. But all that can change when you find yourself starving in a survival situation. No matter if you’re lost in the wild or fighting through an urban collapse, hunger is the best spice. And if push ever comes to shove, I bet you’ll be able to choke down a few bites of every animal on this list.
- We typically worry about the dangers of hypothermia in outdoor emergencies, but heat-related problems can be killers too. Heat stroke is the most dangerous foe, but dehydration, hyponatremia, and sun burn can also take their toll on a beleaguered survivor. Thankfully, there are plenty of strategies you can use to beat the heat.
- Learn how to read tracks, and you'll learn a new language, one that communicates the hidden stories of the animals that leave the tracks. Our ancestors had to be adept in tracking to learn about the unseen game animals and predators in their vicinity. Today, animal tracking provides an invaluable service to the hunter and trapper, as well as the nature lover and photographer. Tracking can also be a lifesaver in a survival situation, warning you about dangerous creatures in the area and helping you to locate your next meal. Find a few clear prints and you'll be able to read a few pages from the tale of that animal's life. Find a trail, and you might just find the animal itself. Polish up your existing skills or learn a brand new one, with these tips on tracking 10 common species.
- Today, you can find paracord everywhere. It’s lightweight, inexpensive, and expendable. It’s also a great item in a survival situation, which is why there should always be a few yards or more in your pack—you’ll be glad it’s there when you need it. Here are a few ways you can use one of the greatest braids ever created to your advantage.
- If you’re ever caught off guard in the wilderness, and the snow is deep, getting back to civilization may not be easy. Not only will you have to deal with the cold temperatures, you’ll have to find a way to travel through tough conditions. Thankfully, avoiding winter trouble is easier than you’d think. For example, in a pinch, you can build improvised snowshoes. In addition, here are a few quick-thinking steps you can take to survive a snowy winter emergency.