• If you only have minutes to get out, don't waste time gathering possessions. Most things can be replaced, lives cannot.
• If you have more time, stay alert to flood watches and warnings for your local area and the areas upriver from your location.
• Drinking water contamination can be a big deal during and after a flood, so make sure you have safe water with you as you evacuate.
• If you have a day to prepare, move important things to the highest and driest location you have. Bring irreplaceable papers, photos, files and data with you as you leave.
• As you evacuate take plenty of cash, non-cook foods, spare clothes, sanitation items, your cell phone charger, rain gear and lots of bug-out-type supplies in case you have to provide for yourself after your exodus.
• Don't try to ride it out! If you are told to evacuate, do so!
Tell us your flood stories--or emergency plans--in the comments.