Keep these things in mind as you go out:
- Never go out gigging by yourself--it's less fun and there's no one to go for help in the event of an accident.
- If you are gigging from a johnboat or other watercraft, make sure the boat is stocked with Coast Guard approved safety equipment (PFDs, lights, and signaling equipment).
- Get a headlamp to help you see the frogs, as most gigging occurs at night.
- Always remember where your toes are, if you're standing in the water to gig.
- Be informed and obedient of the local hunting and fishing laws and the requirements for frog gigging. In my home state of Virginia, for instance, the bullfrog limit is 15 per day, and a hunting license--not a fishing license--is required.