Survival Gear Review: The Chinook MinimalistPAK First Aid Kit
When you hear the word “minimalist,” you probably think of something that is stripped down to the bone, and maybe...
When you hear the word “minimalist,” you probably think of something that is stripped down to the bone, and maybe to the point of being ineffective. But this certainly isn’t the case with the new Chinook Medical Gear MinimalistPAK. Being on a bit of a first aid kick lately, I was eager to check out this company’s version of the bare essentials.
The kit was bigger than I expected it to be (though it does fit in a BDU pocket), yet lightweight at 9.2 ounces. Everything is contained in a waterproof zip-top plastic pouch, that measures 4 by 8 by 2 inches in size. Upon opening the kit, there was a nice assortment of quality supplies for basic first aid, even some name-brand stuff. The kit contains medicines, dressings for bleeding and wound care, and a few unexpected extras like a space blanket and rehydration salts. I don’t think you could purchase all the contents separately for the cost of this kit, a respectable $24.
Here is a rundown of the complete contents:
– 1 Suture strip pack of 10, ¼ in. x 4 in.
– 3 Triple antibiotic ointment packets
– 3 Personal antimicrobial wipes
– 3 Moleskin, 3 in.
– 1 Space blanket
– 4 Sterile gauze, 3 in. x 3 in.
– 2 Non-adherent dressings, 3 in. x 4 in.
– 1 Flat duct tape, 2 yards
– 1 Stretch gauze, 3 in. x 12 yards
– 3 Povidone iodine prep pads
– 1 Pair nitrile gloves
– 2 Water-Jel burn gels, 3.5 grams
– 3 Hydrocortisone cream packets
– 1 Elastic bandage, 2 inch
– 5 Knuckle bandages
– 1 Trauma pad, 5 in. x 9 in.
– 1 Splinter picker
– 30 Band-Aids, assorted
– 1 CeraSport rehydration pack
– Aspirin, 2 packs of 2
– Ibuprofen, 2 packs of 2
– Diamode, 1 pack of 2 (antidiarrheal)
– Diphen, 1 pack of 2 (antihistamine)
My one small gripe with this kit is that there’s no cutting tool or scissors. A tiny set of scissors would be a great addition to cut away clothing, or to cut gauze and dressings. Other than that, I’m very impressed with this kit, and would recommend it as a great choice for hunting trips, hiking trips, and emergency preparedness bags.