Survival Gear Review: Survival Sidekick 10-in-1 Multi-Tool
Ten uses from one item. That’s a pretty long list. It almost sounds too good to be true, especially when...
Ten uses from one item. That’s a pretty long list. It almost sounds too good to be true, especially when several of these intended uses involve electronics. The new Champ Survival Sidekick 10-in-1 Multitool claims ten different emergency functions, but does this flashlight/weather radio combo effectively deliver that many important survival uses? Let’s find out.
The two main functions of this survival tool are the LED flashlight and the AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio. With three white bulbs, the LED flashlight is fairly bright and can run up to nine hours on a fully charged battery. At peak charge, the light is approximately 40 lumens. For each minute of hand cranking with the built in crank, you’ll get about three minutes of flashlight run time. The bulbs are rated to last 10,000 hours. The radio works well, and is adjustable by .1 increments. You can dial in the weather band frequencies between 162.400 and 162.550, or set the tool to activate when NOAA weather alerts are detected.
As for the other features, the Survival Sidekick 10-in-1 offers the following:
• Glass breaker tool for emergency entrance and exits
• A sharp seatbelt cutter for vehicle escapes
• A USB device charging port to recharge phones and smaller devices, compatible with iPhones, iPods and Android phones
• Red, blinking distress light with four red LED bulbs
• Siren distress sound
• A liquid-filled button compass
• A magnetic base, capable of picking up keys or sticking the unit to a metal object (car or fridge)
• Hand-crank charging unit, to keep you powered up if the power is out
This handy survival tool includes a USB to micro cable, and it has a 1-year limited warranty. The Survival Sidekick 10-in-1 weighs eleven ounces and retails for an MSRP of $49.99. This is a great multi-purpose item for your vehicle, or as a household emergency preparedness tool. It’s even on sale this month—10 percent off—in honor of National Preparedness Month.