It’s 8:10 pm on Sunday night and I am trying to stay awake while I type this. It has been a whirlwind of activity since I left NY yesterday morning and my body is trying to adjust. The good thing about deer hunting in Kansas during the rut is that you will immediately forget how tired you are as soon as that first deer strolls by … because you never know if it will be a monster!
Yesterday morning I arrived at LaGuardia airport at 6 a.m. to catch my early flight to Kansas city.
It was one of the easiest travel experiences I’ve had (for hunting) in a long time. The flight arrived on time and I was flying down the highway to Kansas by 10:30 a.m.
I met Pete Angle in Fort Scott, Kansas and after some quick grocery shopping we high-tailed it to the cabin to settle in and get the lay of the land. Eric arrived later that evening and after a quick dinner we gathered all of our stuff and went to bed (later than expected of course).
Sunday morning I awoke at 3:55 a.m. to get the breakfast preparations ready before Eric and Pete woke up. The plan was to get in a quick morning hunt, then go back to the cabin to prepare for Mark and Tim’s arrival. After dropping Pete and Eric off at their respective stand locations, I walked through a large CRP field and climbed into a lock-on stand on a finger of timber. Here is the view from my stand into the CRP.
Here is the view to the south overlooking a small creek. Right at first light a doe came trotting in from downwind, paused for a few moments under my stand and continued on her way. Unfortunately, nothing was in tow.
About an hour later, another lone doe strolled in from the opposite direction and settled in under my stand for about 10 minutes, and then wandered off. So far, so good.
At 8 a.m. I decided to throw out some loud grunts, a snort wheeze and I hit the rattling horns hard. This stuff never works for me back home but I heard it worked well in Kansas so I gave it a shot. Not 5 minutes later, a young basket racked 8 point came directly to my stand from downwind.
He kept looking for the other bucks, but of course they weren’t there. I received text messages from Eric and Pete and both of them had encounters with deer, but no shooters. The best deer was about 130 — a 9 point that was 10 yards from Pete.
Things slowed down after that and at 10 a.m. I got down and headed back to camp to clean up and wait for our other guests. I did see an interesting posted sign on the way back to the cabin.
Pete went to an evening stand near a food plot and saw a bunch of deer, but no shooters.
Tim and Mark arrived later that evening and I cooked up a pork tenderloin with roasted brussels sprouts, shallots and potatoes.
It’s great to have everyone in camp.
After dinner we pulled out the maps and made a plan of where everyone would sit tomorrow. We are so excited to get out there and give it another shot. Hopefully I’ll have some good news when I check back in!

Kansas is well known as a trophy buck hot spot. I’ll be there perched in a stand, waiting on a bruiser for the next few days. See how my hunt has gone so far.