The Mysterious Albino Deer Herd

May 25, 2010
The Mysterious Albino Deer Herd - 37

Throughout history people have been fascinated by rare sightings of albino whitetail deer. In fact, these mystical ghosts of the woods have been the center of many ancient Native American legends and folklore. Encounters with solid white deer were even documented in journal entries by early European explorers in the big woods country of present day Wisconsin. The natural intrigue with white deer can probably be best explained by their unusual appearance that catches both the eye and our imagination. According to biologists, the recessive gene that causes albinism in whitetail deer is very uncommon. The chances of an albino deer being born are only 1 in 20,000. In addition, the solid white coats of the deer make them more susceptible to attack from predators, which dramatically decrease the overall survival rate of these special whitetails. With that being said, very few people will ever have the opportunity to catch a mere glimpse of these white ghosts. However, there is a unique place in Wisconsin called Boulder Junction that is home to an unbelievable number of wild albino deer.

The unusually high resident population of white deer in this area even has the experts stumped. Why are there so many albino deer in this wooded location? Deer biologists have no logical or scientific explanation for the white deer phenomenon at Boulder Junction. For the past several years, award winning outdoor photographer Jeff Richter has been closely monitoring these white Wisconsin deer with his camera lens. Recently, he even published a book titled “White Deer: Ghost of the Woods” that has been grabbing a lot of attention from outdoor enthusiasts. In the book, Richter showcases a breathtaking selection of albino deer photos taken from this remote region. Some of these shots include pictures of solid white bucks sporting snow-colored velvet antlers that would make anyone stare in wonder.

Consequently, the residents of Boulder Junction (even diehard deer hunters) have grown increasingly protective of their mysterious white deer herds. Currently, albino deer are illegal to shoot in the state of Wisconsin and protected by state law. This might be one of the factors that have led to a dramatic increase of white deer in the area. On that note, do you feel that albino deer should be off limits to hunting and illegal to harvest? Be sure to post a comment and let us know what you think about this controversial issue.

– Travis Faulkner

from Tony Lance wrote 3 weeks 5 days ago

Awhile back I worked in Westchester New York in construction at the Rockefeller estate he had a huge heard of albino deer,at first I thought they were cows, so the next day I bought my binoculars' and sure enough the were white deer!

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

You are very welcome djh, The way our elders hunted is so different than today. I don't just mean the tools we use in the hunt. Modern hunters have very different attitudes towards the animals they kill. Perhaps many modern hunters have lost the reverence for the animal. Perhaps that is something a hunter has to grow into to appreciate. In any case our forebears will light our path if only we take time to see.
charlie
PS If you want we can discuss more over on the small game board. This thread is moving down into archive mode.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

charlie elk, thanks for sharing that with me, made my day without the elder generations struggle to keep holding on to our tradition of hunting I wouldn't be able to be here today. Much respect djh

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

If whitey has an impressive rack he's in trouble with me.There;s nothing mystique about an albino other than they are not a lot of them ,but for that matter neither is any trophy animal.

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

djh,
For long while I have been considering posting a picture of one of my greatest outdoor mentors Chief Moose. Your reference to the kindly old man in your life convinced me to post it. Thank you.
Click on my profile to check him out.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

This reminds me as kid growing up in this small town there was a crazy old man who sat at the corner of main street all the time, he would tell us kids all kinds of crazy stories like how he found 160 dimes walking from the corner to the bank, of course all the war stories, this one storie he had he talked about how it snowed on the 4th of july everyone allways passed him off as crazy so did I. Two years ago believe it or not it snowed on the 4th of july I guess we was crazy for not believing & to the old man R.I.P

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

djh,
You are so right. If someone who killed a white deer a few years ago is still alive and A-OK logged on that sure would clear things up.
In the meantime sure hope talking about it doesn't attract any undo attention from above.....
;-D

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

charlie elk, white deer lovers wow I guess theres a group for evreything now days. I dont know how true those stories are I just thought you guy's would be interested in the stories. I've been hoping that someone would log on & tell us how crazy we are for believing is such things then tell us they shot many albinos in there time & there still living a very good life. I guess I'm going to have to keep hoping for now.........

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Those are some fearsome stats djh. 3 of those guys didn't even get the 7 years of bad luck first?! So much for my source!

I have been trying to track down the MN lady who shot the albino 6 pointer back in 07. Some folks who claim to know her say she has been having horrible luck and is keeping a low profile due to threats from self proclaimed white deer lovers. `

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Paul C, I've mounted five true albinos in my 30 year career as a professional taxidermist. Of those five clients....three died within a year or two of the kills, one is serving a life sentence for murder and the other got divorced shortly after picking his head up and lost everything----including the house his parents gave him and all of his guns. There are a LOT of superstitions in this world and a lot of them carry some weight. This one defintely has my attention. you can find this discussion also at --- http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=15058...

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

HawkEye,

The black squirrels in Whitley County, KY were tansported from Michigan and released in the city of Corbin many years ago. A guy who was originally from my county had moved up North to find work. He lived in an area that was very populated with these solid black squirrels. After retiring he live trapped some of these squirrels and brought the back to our area.

Over a period of time, he kept bringing more and more black squirrels to his retirement home here in KY. Now 40 years later they are really established in the northern sections of my county near Corbin. They are very unique and make a great mount. I am also a diehard squirrel hunter and my family has enjoyed observing and hunting these new additions. What part of KY did you take your black squirrel? I have also heard of some areas across the country that are thick with solid white squirrels. Have you ever seen one of these?

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from HawkEye wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

ttfaulkner- Haven't seen any albinos. Funny that you mentioned those black squirrels in Ky. I took one of them in 2003 or 2004, can't remember which. It was the first one I had seen, which inspired me to get it mounted as well. Have seen several more in my hunting area since then. The taxidermist said they were from the north but had been slowly working their way south.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Charlie Elk,

I am looking forward to hearing what you find out that hunt. Good luck with your research. Are you beginning to see any bucks in velvet yet? The bucks are starting to show pretty good in KY, but they still have a lot of growing left.

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from the decoy hunter wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I view this herd as one of the many unique works of the DNA paintbrush that exists in nature.The accompanying lore and practice that is associated with the harvest of such an animal is to be celebrated as well--a very distinctive part our our outdoors experience.As to myself harvesting an albino deer--perhaps I would let it pass by;just to preserve the work of nature a little longer.

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Minn. Woman Shoots Albino Deer During Opener

2007 this lady killed a 6 point albino deer. I am going to do some research to see how her life has been since.
Let you know what I find out.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Dropjhook,

Great question. I would also like to know if anyone on the BBZ has harvested an albino deer more than 7-years ago. For that matter, I would love to hear about any encounters with albino deer period. My son is carried away by albino deer or anything that breaks the norm in nature. We both were able to take solid black squirrels this past fall in KY, which is unusual for our state. Solid black squirrels are typically found in states like Michigan.

We decided to mount both of them along with some giant fox squirrels that were also taken last fall. As far as deer go, I did harvest a small buck during my teenage years that had large white patches over its entire body. It was more brown than white, but it still looked pretty cool to a young hunter. As far as I know, I didn't have any bad luck after the kill. I would love to encounter an albino deer in the wild - buck or doe. Can't wait to hear some of the unique stories from others on the BBZ.

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

would I shoot a white deer if it had the biggest racks ever? hmmm I found that memories of the ones that got away give me just as much drive to get back in the woods as a trophy hung on the wall. There is one occasion where I would,If my family was starving to death & I was to weak to keep on hunting I would hope the creator would understand my situation. Is there someone here who can say they shot a albino deer in the last 7yrs & can you tell us about how it effected your life? There has to be someone who has tested the taboo I'm just curious on there input to the article.

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

In answer to Travis' question of a white trophy buck standing in front of my gun or bow....
I let it walk - just feels right for me. Should another hunter choose to kill because that is right for him / her that is OK by me.
If white deer were to become the dominant color due to selective harvesting; then I too would reconsider and start killing white deer. Sure would make fall deer hunting easier if all the deer were to become white. ;-)

from Superglide 06 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Back in the mid 80's there was a group of albino deer that lived around Mark Twain Lake here in MO. They remained there for years and visitors to the marina could often see them at the lakes edge. We have several pictures of them. Late one summer Park Rangers found the doe and two fawns butchered for their fur and the carcasses left to rot. Poachers like that should have the same thing done to them.

from bigshed wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I like all the discussion about the recessive genes being inferior. I have been telling people for years we need to eliminate left-handed people to help improve our species. This also goes for baldness and colorblindness. Recessive and dominate genes generally have nothing to do with inferiority as far as survivor ability and hardiness. The terms recessive and dominate only mean whether or not the gene shows it self on the animals appearance to the naked eye (Dominant) or if the gene is present but not expressed (Recessive.)

Now lets get to hunting left handed people!

from HawkEye wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one while hunting. If I did I believe I would try to shoot it with my camera not my weapon. They are just too rare.

from captdpib wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Recessive genes do not mean bad genes. The gene for blue eyes and red hair are both recessive, does that make those people are inferior? Recessive just means that there is less of a chance to pass that gene on. All deer carry the albino gene, but it takes certain circumstances for that to be visable at birth.
I think they are beautiful animals and it should be up to each individual whether or not they want to harvest it or not.

from nickm wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

there is a huge albino deer heard here in NY -Seneca Falls, NY Army depot. that one is easy to explain - the old army base is fenced in and the recessive gene just kept multiplying. You are able to apply for permits and hunt the albino deer in old army base in NY - i agree they are cool to see in the wild

from Anthony wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Great Article...the albino deer are definitely an amazing sight. It would really be hard for me to let one walk past without taking it.

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

As a hunter, it amazes me how nature always seems to find a way to capture my imagination and inner spirit. Some of my fondest memories have been derived from my interaction with the mountains, hardwood ridges, and wild rivers. You would think that eventually being in the woods or on the water would get old. However, nature always finds a way to keep you coming back for just one more glimpse. I can't imagine a cool Autumn sunrise, the sound of a longbeard gobbling in the spring, or the sweet smell of honeysuckle ever getting old.

In many cases, right when you think you have a good grasp on everything is when nature whill throw you a curve and show you something new. These albino deer are a prime example of what I am talking about. All of us have seen countless numbers of whitetails, but there is just something special about an albino deer. It's also interesting to hear the different view points about shooting a solid white deer or letting it walk.

I've got some Cherokee blood running through my veins, which enables me to see both sides of it. However, I would like to know what my blood brothers on the BBZ would do if a buck of a lifetime (that was solid white) walked past their stand? Remember, in many states it's perfectly legal to harvest an albino deer. What would you do?

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

charlie elk, there's a point in a hunters life that we must reach when we realise we need to leave our competitive nature as humans to stop & give thanks to the creators creations, Once we honor a higher power that makes us believe, & what's comes with believing in a higher power well that brings hope, a man can achieve mighty things with belief & hope in turn brings a better lifestyle witch most likely helps you prosper in many more way's then a man realises. djh

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Once upon a time I was an opportunist hunter if I came across fowl or beast during an open season I did my best to kill it. Then somewhere along the way it came to me I do not have to kill everything. Perhaps it was during my first white deer encounter but I can't be sure. While watching the particular small white doe her pink eye shining back at me a feeling of peace and contentment descended around me. With the thought; if I kill this deer I deny another the same experience.
Like many hunters I have numerous mounts which I have always viewed as my feeble attempt at possession of their beauty & wildness,as all hunters come to realize eventually. The mount will trigger pleasant memories of the hunt.(making it well worth effort to get a mount)
But there is a certain sadness in the back reaches of your mind - your possession is never really complete.

from Bryan wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

It would be hard to let one walk but in the same sense, it would also be hard to shoot. If in a protected area where no one can shoot, I would let it go but here where I live I would rather be the one telling the story compared to someone else. They are amazing. Great article Travis and awesome pictures.

from Bryan wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I only saw a half white doe once & a grey elk who's agility & speed actually had me stunned more then the grey hide it carried. charlie elk, & thats why your such a successful hunter you believe

from Ishi wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Where legal, I think each individual hunter needs to make their own choice whether to shoot or not shoot an albino deer.

Personally I'm with Charlie Elk. Indian lore says that the appearance of a white animal meant prosperity was in their future.

I have never seen an albino deer in the wild but I have come across a few piebald. I let them walk.

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

While reading this I was anticipating DJH's thoughts and he did not disappoint me.
As a young hunter under the wing of Chief Alex Moose I was taught that to kill a white animal brought great peril to the hunter. Especially white deer - "he who kills one has 7 years of bad luck ending in death."
Over the years many white deer have offered themselves to me while hunting the forests of north central MN. Each time I drew my bow the chief's words would echo in my head the arrow would start to shake and I just could never find it in me to test the legend.

from patrick88 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

in my state albino deer dont last long enough to get pictures of so why do they protect them in wisconsin i would think a bad gene in the deer herd could not fly with the dnr.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/albino_spirit_animals.html -------- As superstitious as we hunters are do we really want luck turned against us after all the whole time we are hunting we are all praying for some good luck to come our way in the first place. I think it shouldn't be illegal to hunt them if a man choose's to kill the albino & the taboo is true & he has no more luck hunting then that just means all the more animals for me to hunt.

from sangcoacc wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Since I am not a biologist I would defer the decision to harvest/protect these creatures to the experts. That being said, I believe these animals should not be protected for a couple reasons: 1) If "recessive" equates to "inferior" then the protection of inferior animals can only be detrimental to the herd as a whole. 2) Protecting them for the unique appearance or "cuteness" sets precedant for the protection of the entire herd.
Legislators tend to pass laws with unintended consequences. Can you imagine a law that prohibits the hunting of deer with ANY white on it?

from Levi Banks wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

By leaving them off limits, we're favoring a recessive gene, what about piebald, are they off limits too? I don't see the point. I participate in a city bowhunting program and there is a small known population of albino deer in a portion of the city, we were told at the last meeting because of their popularity that some city council members threatened to cancel the program if one of them was shot. We are reducing the number of deer-car collisions, damage to gardens, etc. and they would cancel the program because somebody's "pet" got shot. I could understand if somebody shot a dog, most of the properties are city parks, but this just seems ridiculous.

from mikekos wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

These are pretty amazing animals to see, we have been lucky enough to see them quite frequently in that area in Wisconsin. Offen enough that our kids now say " oh its only a brown deer". We have vacationed and hunted this area for the past 35 years and sighting an albino used to be very rare and now is fairly common place. I believe this is due to a lack of hunting. However hunting them I fear would lead to trophy hunting, and I am just not sure that would be best. My wife & I were hunting together a few years ago and had a albino doe walk up to us within 20 yds. and seemed to have no fear of humans.

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Ishi wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from mikekos wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Bryan wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Dropjhook,

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Minn. Woman Shoots Albino Deer During Opener

Let you know what I find out.

from the decoy hunter wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from sangcoacc wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from ttfaulkner@msn.com wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Travis Faulkner
Outdoor Life
ttfaulkner@msn.com

from Anthony wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from nickm wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from captdpib wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from HawkEye wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from bigshed wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Now lets get to hunting left handed people!

from Superglide 06 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

djh,
;-D

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

djh,
Click on my profile to check him out.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago