User logins have been temporarily disabled for scheduled maintenance of the site. Please check back later.

Can Obama's anti-gun OSHA pick be stopped?

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

September 02, 2009
Can Obama's anti-gun OSHA pick be stopped? - 29

Gun Rights Examiner David Codrea alerts Second Amendment advocates of a subtle appointment by President Obama taht could have a profound influence on your rights. David Michaels, Obama's nominee to head the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, has made "past attempts to frame guns in terms of public health. Exploiting it to further citizen disarmament is something the academic left, from which Michaels hails, has been pursuing for years.

"Case in point:

"Prejudice against gun ownership by ordinary citizens is pervasive in the public health community, even when they profess objectivity and integrity in their scientific research. Deborah Prothrow-Stith, dean of the Harvard School of Public Health, in a moment of lucidity encapsulated in words (in a recent book) the typical attitude of her professional colleagues: 'My own view on gun control is simple. I hate guns --- and can not imagine why anybody would want to own one. If I had my way, guns for sport would be registered, and all other guns would be banned.'

"So what is likely in store for gun owners first if Michaels is confirmed?"

"From Hans Bader, the Competitive Enterprise Institute's Senior Attorney and Counsel for Special Projects, writing at Examiner.com:

"'This raises the specter of federal restrictions on the storage or carrying of firearms in or near workplaces (even though some businessmen in high-crime areas possess guns to protect themselves against armed robbers).'"

For more, go to: http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m8d20-Can-Obamas-antigun-OSHA-pick-be-stopped

To read Bader's column, go to: http://www.examiner.com/x-7812-DC-SCOTUS-Examiner~y2009m8d17-Obamas-OSHA-nominee-is-antigun-activist-and-junk-science-peddler

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

hey bo sorry about the non thinker comment didnt mean to ofend any one but i drink vitamin water not koolaid dont worry bo we will all stand together on this one

from Bo wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Patrick88, you are drinking the koolaid if you believe that. If you are willing to give up some guns now, you will find that they will take them all. If we don't stand firm now and tell them "Not no, but..." it will be too late and they will take them all. They will do it incrementally and play everyone against one type of gun and get it taken down, then they will come for the rest. Do a search on Martin Niemoller, and you may start to understand what I am saying.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

its not about god or dems or republicans its about gun control like bo said 100 mil guns to 300 mil people we are in the minority better to give up something now than every thing later it sucks but times change i like my guns to but better to have some gun control now to keep what we like to do for our future

from Bo wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Guys, "what we have here is a failure to communicate." (from Cool Hand Luke.) This is a prime example of people who FEEL but don't think. These two individuals, pat_barrett_rn and Patrick88 are probably one and the same. The message is not one of logic but of rage against guns that they feel are evil. Not all guns just the ones they don't like. There is no way to deal with this kind of misguided free floating anger, other than to pat his hand and say "You are wrong, but unfortunately by the time you figure it out, it will be too late."
Both of these people, if they are two people (I am doubtful), have a very small box that they are trapped in and do not understand there is an entire world that they have not seen outside their box. They believe they have a good grasp of reality while completely ensnared in the unreality put forth by the Lamestream Media and all of its cohorts. "Professing to be wise, they became fools" Romans 1:22

from Yoda wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

"An armed society is a polite society"

from Sandman wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Patrick88
Did it ever occure to you that maybe Columbine happened because someone didnt have their guns PROPERLY locked up so kids of any ANY couldent get to them.
When it comes to hunting with an AK-47--do your homework--I know of no state that allows hunting with one.
Some times its better to keep your mouth shut for fear of someone might think you are STUPID than to open your mouth and prove them right.
You need to educate yourself before you make a fool of yourself AGAIN--but the 1st amendment gives you that right so you must choose the way others think of you.
You say you wouldent follow th Republican party or thr NRA.
I doubt that they would let you.
The NRA has dont more to preserve your rights than the DUMBOCRATIC party as for the Republican party--well they are not perfect but if you can have an open mind--think about this--every time a DUMBOCRAT gets caught with his finger in the cookie jar or some other part of the anatomy the media and the Senate/Congress acts like its no big deal but if a Republican shout get caught for the same thing --OH MY GOD --you'd think the guy raped Obummer's dog in the Oval office in front of his wife and kids.
Il bet Obama is your hero--I can say one thing for him--he has made sure than no minority will ever get elected in our life time--he has tuned back the clocks on racism--he has shown that he is not qualified to be our Comander in Chief,he isnt qualified to run and ice cream truck.
He is TRANSPARENT all right but the real meaning is "I CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH HIM"--he is turning our country into a 3rd world economy--pandering to the ilegles ( gee why do you think the Dems want to let them vote--aaaaah maybe they know without them they are fineto in the White House ,Congress and Senate--
We--the thinking people are going to vote the Pulosies, Reeds, Sharptons and Obamas out this next go around--its been a long time coming--now the Democrats better look for a new line of work--we are taking our country back from a bunch of jerks that think they are better than us and have not held up the oaths they took to serve our country---THEY are the public servents and they have forgotten it.
Can you say COOL AID --what flavor do you like---there was a mention of Jim Jones/Jonestown a few posts back--hell man --how many people were killed with COOL AID?
Do you want to outlaw that too?

from Bo wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

There is none so blind as he who will not see.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

i wouldnt follow the nra or republican party blindly their policy is to scare people into thinking some how we are going to repeal the second amendment that will never happen

from Bo wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Patrick88, you are apparently the non thinker, you seem to believe you are the arbiter of second amendment rights. I know of no one who is walking the streets with more firepower than the cops. Many of my friends have CCW permits. I don't know anyone who has a 20 round auto pistol or who hunts with an AK47. I think people who start spouting off about these weapons that most people don't own are more dangerous than the non existent weapons they are afraid of. Should their speech be silent? Would you have the say so over second Amendment right? Would you let me be the arbiter of your first amendment right? I think not.
You are the one who is not thinking about what you are saying, You see a very narrow slice that the Lamestream Media spoon feeds you and you have been sucked in to their lies. You are unable to perform basic critical thinking skills to analyze whether they might have mislead you. They have been rewriting history and you have been gullible and believed them without doing any independent research. You are the one to be pitied.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

as i said non thinkers i dont need a ak47 or 20 round auto pistol to hunt with people dont need to walk the streets with more fire power than our police force

from Bo wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Patrick88, sounds like you've been drinking the Lamestream Media's kool-aid.(If you don't understand that, look up Jim Jones and Jonestown, late 70's)The LSM would have you believe that guns cause crime, that the mere presence of a gun will turn a normal, innocent individual into a raving maniacal, blood-thirsty serial murderer. There are more than 100, million guns in the US, in a population between 300-375 million people. Statistically you are safer in a gun range than in a hospital. Doctors' mistakes kill more people every year than guns do. Congress and the courts have cause more deaths in the US by legalizing abortion than have been killed in all the wars the US has fought. If you don't like guns, that's fine. You don't have to have one. But if you want to take the second Amendment out of the Constitution remember the First will follow shortly. You say I am overreacting. History says otherwise. Every country with a totalitarian government started with GUN CONTROL. Freedom of Speech follows shortly thereafter. So if you enjoy your freedom to dis guns, remember that freedom was won because there were people much braver than you who were willing to take up arms to give you the freedom so you could protest their actions to save your freedom of speech.
GUN CONTROL is not the least of our concerns, it is of primary concern. I believe it was Ben Franklin who said something to the effect that
'People who are willing to give up freedom for security shall have neither. Have a nice day.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To Patrick,
As I stated before it's not the gun it's the person behind the gun,tradgities happen,but they happen more often threw other sources than a gun.I get just as angry as the next person when a person(s) enter into a school and shoot inocent children and student's.Do you think banning guns is going to stop such actions.Noway,when criminal intent is on a person's mind they become creatures of oppurtunity.Why stop at guns,let's ban one of the number one killers in this country,the automobile.Just cause a few nut jobs do a injustice,does not mean the majority does.And what might happen if there was armed security,whether it be a citizen or hired, maybe lifes could have been saved.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

gun control is the least of most peoples worries at this time the way the economy is and besides what did the nra or any other gun rights non thinkrer do for the kids at columbine high school or virginia tech or the countless other victims of automatic high capacity round weapons

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

With a team like Sotomayor, a Democratic controlled Congress, Obama and his choice of personnel in key postions it's only a matter of time before all guns and ammo are either well out of blue collar price range firearms companies are over taxed and forced out of business.
It's also aonly a matter of time that they and the antis get there way on outdoor activites that build family bonds.
These people are not about family. They are out for themselves and their own selfish interrests.
The 2d Amendment is being infringed upon, hell even the right to assemble is being infringed upon as well.
Not only are the Liberals / Democrats responsible but the liberal media (MSN, NBC) both run everything negative or under their bias they can about guns and hunting.
We have enough problems with PETA and HSUS and now they have a liberal anti gun gov't that is backing them and back dooring us.
They are going way too far. Don't forget this guy either Cass Sunstein, President Obama's choice for a powerful regulatory position in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) is a rabid supporter of animal rights.

from Sandman wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

"LIVE FREE OR DIE"
Let them take the 2nd amendment away and you are as good as dead.
I for one dont have any interest in military weapons,I am a hunter.
My 3 go to guns are a 300 Win mag Sako, a pre 64 Winchester o6 and a Colt Python 357.
I dont own any military stuff--got my fill in the Army but I will stand up for YOUR RIGHT to own one if you choose.
The 2nd amendment says NOTHING about automatics, hi cap mags or for that matter--full autos--they were not around back then.I guess Im glad they are not trying to re-write the 2nd amendment today or my guess is you wouldent even be able to own a potato gun, sling shot or aone of those hi velosity, dangerous throwing stone(you know--a ROCK for you winged out waccos)

from Sandman wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Again--Well said Bo
Case in point--I used to live in Washington state(should be called Northern Californicatia.
I couldent take the politics any more--had to move!!
Their all knowing Governor Gregware(sp)put out an article a few years back stating that 95% of ALL GUNS used in crimes origionated in gun shows-( this was when she was trying to outlaw gun shows)-what a crock--I wrote to her to enlighten her about the fact that PERHAPS the guns were purchased at gun shows LEGALY and maybe-- just maybe were STOLEN and then used in crimes :hence--they started out in gun shows.What a twist on the truth.
In my ever so humble opinion Nancy Pulosie, Barbars Boxer , Barbara Feinstein and Gov Gregware are a basicly all "LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS FOR VAGINAS" they have no other value because they dont how to tell the truth or maybe they dont even know what the truth is.

from Lonnie Williamson wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To Pat Barrett RN,

I think you are totally confused. The 2nd Amendment guarantees the right to "Keep and Bear Arms, and shall not be infriged". And the purpose of that was to overthrow a tyannical government including our own. And as a matter of fact if you would study your American History and not a revisionist History you would know that many home owners that were part of the militia did in fact own their personal cannons. Those that were confiscated from the British when they attempted to take arms away from the colonists and they rebelled against those actions. I would also strongly suggest that you look at recent world history and see how many countries have had their countryman completed obliterated because they were first disarmed. But then you will probably tell me that all of the facts are fabricated.

from seadog wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To pat barrett. Bo, griz & BRBB covered most of what I have to say, so I won't repeat their excellent comments. You point out that a shotgun is excellent for home protection--true, but I can't carry a shotgun around for personal protection. I'll keep my Glock, thank you. And my wife, a petite lady, can't handle a 12 gauge--is she supposed to wait until I get home if a rapist attacks her in our house? Or do you think some government bureaucrat should choose what weapon might be appropriate for her? Or for me? Or anyone else? And you don't think anyone wants to take away sporting weapons? The animal rights people (PETA, HSUS & others) have already gone after hunting in a big way. Gun control advocates are constantly preaching that all guns are bad and trying to brainwash our kids with that idea. With law & government, it's a slippery slope--first they ban full auto, then semi-auto, then handguns. Then the animal rights & gun control people join together to get hunting banned. Will you still have your shotgun? Not for long--you might use it to kill a burglar, so we better ban that too. No thanks. I'll keep my guns--all of them.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Second that "well said" Bo.Before people start telling us how evil guns are and trying to save each and everyone of us,they need to check out the facts.Compare the gun crimes that take place with"illegally"obtained guns to gun crimes that take place with"legally"obtained guns.Take a look at the crime rates in states were it's legal to carry to those in which it's not.Like I've been told all my life,a gun is as dangerous as the person that uses it,so is a car,power tool,four wheeler etc.etc.etc.The number of vechicle deaths I,ve worked threw the years far out weigh the number of gun deaths I've worked.So please don't try to preach gun control on me or any other legal gun owner in this country,it's not gun control this government wants,it's people control.
Later,
BRBB

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

well said bo

from Bo wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

pat_barrett_rn, sir, you are sadly misinformed, regularly killed our presidents, 4 times in 230 plus years, give me a break, there were more communist leaders who "Disappeared" during the 20th century. Another thing that you don't appear to understand. The only thing protecting your first Amendment right to say what you said, is the second Amendment. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Up until the SCOTUS decided to ignore what the words actually say, because the libs don't believe that is what they mean, what part of the "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." do you not understand.
For my background I am a retired ER Nurse, RN, BSN with only 35 years experience. I have seen more gun violence that just about anyone but a military veteran returning from the middle east and I spent 4 years playing with Uncle Sam back in the 70's. What you want to do is leave the general populace completely unprotected such as in England where the violent assault and homicide rate went up, that's right it went UP. ALso in Australia,It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in: List of 7 items:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.
Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
Your whining, sniveling anti-gun stance soes not stand up the facts. Gun control kills more people who can no longer defend themselves. If you are truly concerned about the health of the American Public you would be screaming for every American who wants to and is not a felon or mental patient to0 have access to guns. Anything less would be a surrender to the forces of evil that threaten this country.

from griz312000 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To pat barrett rn:
I guess I fall into the category of people you so despise...of believing in the 2nd Amendment right to own weapons for my own personal use and protection from any threat to myself or my family...I personally don't intend to go after the local police chief (if that is what you are inferring) as I myself am a retired law enforcement officer. As for no one coming after "sporting weapons", you might want to pull your head out of the sand and look at some of the language of the liberal gun-haters. They would outlaw any semi-auto weapon, including "sporting arms". And by the way, my AR-15 makes a great coyote rifle and my AR-10 goes into the deer woods with me each fall....

from pat_barrett_rn wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Any arguement about gun rights really has to be biforcated into sporting weapons and weaapons that are specificly to kill men. It is useful to break the argument down further into people who like hunting and other gun sports.

I do not think that there is anyone who wants to come for sporting weapons period. Incidently there is no weapon that makes a better home defense weapon than an simi-automatic shotgun.

The only weapons that have ever had any national restrictions put on them are high capacity clip fed weapons. If you are part of the group that thinks that it is a citizen's right to own any weapon is absolute, that this is a protection against the tyrany of the government. Lets be totally clear on both points there is a tyrany of gun owner right now, and the logical outcome of this line of thought is Mexico. The police cheif in Tiajuana was murdered with his bodyguards in an armoured vehicle, Tacate's police cheif took 450 bullets in his bed next to his wife. Reguarding the tyrany of gun owners, to my knowledge we are the only "First" world country that regularly sufers from mal adapted people mass murdering strangers just because they were there. To my knowledge this country is the only "first" world country that that has regularly killed our presidents and great leaders. To the point that the citizens will rise up against the government to defend US against the tyrany of a determined government did anyone watch the battle of Fallujia, these were trained determined well armed people that were utterly crushed.

To me there is something pathological about an industry that markets weapons for killing people, and promoting the idea that one needs these weapons.

from Bo wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

This is a battle we need to fight. We cannot afford to lose this one.

from elkslayer wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

They can have my guns from my cold dead fingers.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Gun banning is real & its approching us very fast. No doubt the prez is going to move in more peace's to the puzzle very soon. I dont know if you all herd about the U.N. troops training in united states. Well I didnt think much of it untill I was fishing in at my fav. high moutian lake when out of no wear comes flying in a U.N. cargo plain flying under the radar. It was strage we never see anything close to that plain.. this sizes in this area of plains are two man jobs but this was a clear as day U.N. cargo plain with the blue and black camo look to it and did you read the part they was flying under the radar. Myself I think they was running drills...But for what & on american soil they run these drills are these the peace keeps for obamas agenda?

from seadog wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

BRBB, you're right, but let's hope they don't get their way.

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Here we go again,another lib. not liking something,so there going to act like a spoiled child until they get there way.I fill it's going to be like this until 2012,one thing after another.Until they get there way.

from seadog wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

This pick is worth fighting against. Even though OSHA doesn't ordinarily meddle in Second Amendment issues, that could change with an anti-gun ideologue (translate nutcase) in charge. We need to speak out against this one.

from Bo wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.
Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

from Yoda wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

"An armed society is a polite society"

from seadog wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from Bo wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

This is a battle we need to fight. We cannot afford to lose this one.

from griz312000 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To pat barrett rn:

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Later,
BRBB

from seadog wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

BRBB, you're right, but let's hope they don't get their way.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

They can have my guns from my cold dead fingers.

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

well said bo

from seadog wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

from Lonnie Williamson wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To Pat Barrett RN,

from Sandman wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Again--Well said Bo
I couldent take the politics any more--had to move!!

from Sandman wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

"LIVE FREE OR DIE"
Let them take the 2nd amendment away and you are as good as dead.
I for one dont have any interest in military weapons,I am a hunter.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

from bullridingbamaboy wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

To Patrick,

from Bo wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

There is none so blind as he who will not see.

from Sandman wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago

Patrick88
You say you wouldent follow th Republican party or thr NRA.
I doubt that they would let you.
Do you want to outlaw that too?

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 46 weeks ago