Girls Just Wanna Have Guns

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

December 23, 2009
Girls Just Wanna Have Guns - 17

Having a difficult time deciding what to get those special women in your life for Christmas?

Well, those who track Americans’ purchasing and lifestyle trends say all the data points to firearms as one of the most popular choices for females this holiday season. In fact, some forecasters say the last 12 months of record-busting firearms sales will easily spill over into the Christmas season, especially for females who are both giving and receiving.

Asked what they‘d like to receive for Christmas gifts this year, women respondents to a Consumer Reports Money and Shopping Blog survey they’d be “thrilled to receive boots, purses, pajamas and guns.”

As further proof the gun sales boon is not wavering, data released this week by the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) reported 1,223,252 checks were conducted in November 2009, ranking the month in the top 10 for most NICS checks in the history of the system.

And consider this: In the 11 years since the FBI began conducting background checks on all potential gun buyers, November and December have been gun retailers’ busiest sales months, without exception.

Want more proof? The number of women participating in hunting and the shooting sports is increasing at an historic clip. Between 2003 and 2008, women who hunted with firearms increased an impressive 3.5 percent to 2.9 million, according to a new report released just last week by the National Sporting Goods Association (NSGA).

During the same period, women who participated in bowhunting rose 1.5 percent to 600,000. In the past year alone, the number of licensed female hunters in Louisiana increased a whopping 12 percent, reaching record numbers for the fairer gender in The Bayou State.

Further, the number of woman taking firearms self-defense instruction and applying for concealed-carry permits has shot off the charts for most of 2009. Female enrollment in the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s “First Shots” Program has set new records all year.

Just as the name implies, the program introduces people to handgun shooting for their first time—along with expert coaching and safety instruction. In the classes, women also learn about safe handling and storage of firearms, state and local permitting processes, how to purchase a handgun, what model and caliber is right for them, how to determine proper fit, holsters, apparel and that some handguns even come in colors designed to be more appealing to women.

Not only does such training impact a woman’s outlook on personal protection, but it also influences her buying habits—a fact increasingly addressed by today's major handgun manufacturers and firearms marketers.

The St. Petersburg Times reported last week that firearms retailers across Florida say they’ve witnessed more women shopping for guns and training this holiday season than ever before.

“The mama instinct is big-time,” said Mark Rutan, a salesman at Pinellas Park Bill Jackson’s Shop for Adventure in Pinellas Park. “Mamas want to protect their babies, and they will.”

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Welcome to OL forum huntershere. Glad to hear German ladies like guns too. Hopefully someday you will be able to get your anti gun laws and regulations loosened up.
later,
charlie

from huntershere wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

The exerpt that I stated above says that you have to pass many tests in order to get a license. However if I observe the gender balance in my hunting club then we have an equal amount of men and women. Also girls love guns.

from huntershere wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Guns are a triggy thing in my country, we have many hunters clubs but the regulations if you want to get a gun are pretty hard. The original text says something like: Der Gebrauch von Jagdwaffen ist nur erlaubt, wenn sie eine richtige Jagdwaffen Lizenz dafür besitzen. Ohne gültige Lizenz ist die Jagd mit Gewehren nicht erlaubt." This Situation has some good and bad sides.

from Storytelrr wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

Interesting story. MY wife is all over me to get her a gun but shooting class first. I found this story through www.gunrightsreport.com. Thanks

from wallpep wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Typical woman, my wife has expensive tastes, she's happiest with a 1911. The ammo budget is ridiculous.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

charlie elk, I never thought it would but its for sure a women handling a firearm with confidence is something that gets djh's blood pumping for sure. hope your holidays was good for you charlie elk!

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

djh, you are right about women with guns.
My wife looks very sexy with her Christmas revolver strapped on. Acts like an apostrophe accenting her hip.

from Kody wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Lessons from the old master! Years ago my father bought my mother a Remington Wingmaster in the new 3 inch Magnum for Christmas.
"It is heavier than my 2 3/4 inch Wingmaster", said my mother.
"Yes, it is," replied Dad.
"It is a little long in the stock for me," said my Mom.
"I can cut the stock down," replied Dad.
"It must kick more than my gun."
"Yes, it kicks quite a bit more."
"Maybe, I should stick to my old gun and you take this one," suggested Mom.
"OK," said Dad a little too quickly. Otherwise, it was masterfully played. At 85 my mother still laughs to tell the story.
Just one of the many advantages of having your wife into hunting...buy her the gun you want and you have a win win situation.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

the more women with guns, the more would be criminals get a big suprise. i just wanna watch!

from Pourshot wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

Many of my Virginia firearm safety classes have more women than men. The ladies tend to be more attentive. They are more receptive to the lessons and they shoot better in the over all. 4permits dot com

from chopper wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

last summer my wife asked me to taker to the gun store to look,next thing i know she picked out her first gun a s&w
.38 5 shot then she say to me what are you getting ,after i got my jaw off the floor i got a ruger sp101

from The Captain wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

I find that I do not often buy guns for my wife as she has claimed my Beretta auto shotgun and a few others since we've been married. Right now I'm trying to buy guns for myself just to replace the ones that she has laid claim to. But this is alright, she still lets me shoot "her guns" when she is not using them, and she's a heck of a lot cuter than most of my shooting buddies.

from bpkonetchy wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys. It is things like this will definetly help get women out shooting. I know I hunt and shoot all of the time. It is just one more thing that you can do together.

from msfreeh wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

The FBI Uniform crap Report is full of inaccuracies and is not an active barometer of crimes committed in the United States. To see a active barometer of crimes committed by FBI agents- to view a partial list of crimes committed by FBI agents over 1500 pages long see
forums.signonsandiego. com/showthread.php?t=59139

to view a partial list of FBI agents arrested for pedophilia see
dallasnews. com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3574

from seadog wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

My wife is reluctant but I'm working on it, one step at a time. Merry Christmas, y'all.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

My wife is now one of these gun shooting ladies. She expressed a desire to shoot pistols....
Mine are too big for her...
Guess what is under the Christmas tree...
Beats the heck out diamonds. :-D)
Merry Christmas to all,
charlie

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

Is it just me or maybee I need professional help but there is nothing more sexy then a women holding a gun!KEEP IT UP

from seadog wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from The Captain wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from Pourshot wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

Mine are too big for her...
Guess what is under the Christmas tree...
Beats the heck out diamonds. :-D)
Merry Christmas to all,
charlie

from bpkonetchy wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from chopper wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from Kody wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

"It is heavier than my 2 3/4 inch Wingmaster", said my mother.
"Yes, it is," replied Dad.
"It is a little long in the stock for me," said my Mom.
"I can cut the stock down," replied Dad.
"It must kick more than my gun."
"Yes, it kicks quite a bit more."
"Maybe, I should stick to my old gun and you take this one," suggested Mom.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

djh, you are right about women with guns.

from huntershere wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago