The 10 Ugliest ATVs of All Time

The ugliest ducklings of ATV past and present!

So we were all sitting around the office the other day and the topic came up—what’s the  worst ATV that has ever been produced? Then the topic somehow veered off a bit and then we started talking about “ugly” ATVs. Well, right off the bat we eliminated all the Chinese and Taiwanese crap that’s been floating around the past few years…we could fill a book with all the bad looking stuff they make. Instead, we focused on the truly ugly machines the real manufacturers have produced over the years. Not surprisingly, a lot of our candidates came straight from the ’80s.

There have been a few doozies released over the years, but the following few rank among the top in our hearts… We all argued over which one is truly the ugliest, but then Doogie dropped the bomb on the subject when he showed us the picture of his #1 pick. Yikes!

Here are a number of contenders for the overall win (in no particular order of ugliness). And as Doogie pointed out with his entry, there can only really be one true winner…

The 1985 Yamaha Tri-Z

It was yellow, fast, and ugly.

The 1987 Kawasaki Tecate 4

This one makes us turn green even to this day. It looks like a cross between a quad and a grasshopper.

The 1989 Yamaha Pro Hauler…

better hauls it’s way out of our site.

The 2001 Arctic Cat 250 2×4

as inspiring looking as its name.

The 1980 Yamaha Tri-Moto 125

it’s kinda like a bananna with an engine.

The 1991 Honda FourTrax 200D

Whoa - was this inspired by some bizarre ride at a theme park? Looks like one of those saucer cup rides.

The 1991 Suzuki KingQuad

We’re guessing “King” of the ugly country

The 1984 Kawasaki Tecate 250

What’s up with that headlight? This three-wheeler is “Griller-r-riffic”.

2003 Polaris Trailblazer and 2004 Polaris Scrambler

it’s almost as if they took snowmobiles and added four wheels to them.

THE WINNER

Our pick for the ugliest ATV of all time goes to…

1983 Kawasaki Duckster 200

Somewhere in Japan a designer has been sweeping the floors at Kawi’s factory for the past 26 years.

Do you have your own favorite “ugly ATV”?
If so, post yours in the comments section below!

from Triston Nelson wrote 5 weeks 15 hours ago

2003 polaris trailblazer 400 and I like I think it isn't half bad looking.

from Christopher Kre... wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

The Tri Z is not half as bad as the others. I got hysterical at some of the photo captions though...

from tri-z wrote 15 weeks 3 days ago

You guys can't be serious, the TRI-Z is one of the 10 best looking atvs of all time. Clearly you guys have something against 3 wheelers.
They were banned because to many people either too young, too drunk, to unskilled & ill-equiped(read lack of safety gear like helmets)were on them. This is the same problems we are facing now with quads as well, surprised they have not been banned yet. May want to look at Quad injury statistics. I have heard of too many stories of kids paralized or killed on machines to big/heavy/power-full for them. Maybe we should ban motorcycles as well as they may even require more skill to ride.
But as far as ugly atvs I am sure you missed more than just a few 4 wheeled versions, clearly you don't have a clue as the TRI-Z is an epic machine next to ATC 250R.
Of note the ATC 250R won the BAJA 1000 in 1984 ahead of all buggies & trophy trucks with only 3 Dirt bikes ahead of it, pretty good for a death machine. Would love to see a quad do that.
Doogie might want to get his head out of the mud!

from Mike DeChellis wrote 16 weeks 5 days ago

Comment below me is from an uneducated dumbass.

from Keith Jackson wrote 21 weeks 5 days ago

ok coming from someone operating a private bike shop and a rider of old and new, the comments on here are a show of insecurity and immaturity number one trikes are about the last thing i want to be caught on in any form of woods the skill junk about easiness is bs both types take separate skills to operate without issue period however trikes in my neck of the woods dont happen very often becuase its near impossible to get a 2wd with one wheel steering to stay on track in thick mud and not get stuck in flooded areas. also is the fact towing a trailer or anything is a trick left best to 4 wheels its not skill or laziness its common sense conserving energy and not trying to kill oneself to prove a stubborn point. they outlawed trikes for a reason not because people hated them. that being said feeling as though calling it ugly is a insult is a show of insecurity and about every trike rider comment complaining on here talks of people flagging them down its not becuase its impossibly great looking you could have a bet up trike its simply put rare and hard to find one on the trails anymore period, not becuase of laziness or whatever the insult simply put people want to have fun not struggle and fight to prove some "skills" on a 4 wheeler you have to use your whole bod to move and manuever just the way you want if you do that on a tirke you just may come wheels up also is the fact that yes fat people use them but last time i saw a trike a 350lb kid was on it becuase it was the cheapest thing his family could get for him to ride and hell id say good things about fat ppl at least getting out and about instead of sitting here on a forum breaking out ticked becuase someone jokes about ugliness of a bike not its performance

from fabiodriven wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

Still upset about being kicked off of 3WW, eh Ricky? Talk about whining bitches...

from Rickybudz wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Proudfather2
I own 2 3 wheelers, and I still agree with you about all those post. All those comments came from 3 WHeeler World members. These were not random post, it was a swarm that did not like your opinion! You are right, most of the 3 wheeler guys are a bunch of wining little a**holes. And they all seem to gather at the site these comments came from. I can't believe they would join your forum, just to bash your opinion! Friggin CRY BABIES, the whole bunch! With the exception of the Tri Z, your pretty much rifgt about everything!

from jeremy250cc wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

ok. I agree with you those are UGLY atv's. Hey everybody! Just because they're ugly, doesn't mean they're not a good machine or not fun to ride! I own a tecate 4. I don't care how it looks, just how it runs!

from proudfather2 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

WOW what a bunch of winey little b@@@@@@. Did momma not treat the little 3-wheeler guys good when y'all were young, not enough hugs?
First of all out of 10 only 4 of them are 3-wheelers( and they are ugly!) that's what the whole article was about any way. not who was here first or how well they performed.
3-wheelers are in the past for a reason!

from bp739 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

You guys a retarded, the 85Z and 87 T4...I got a list for ya..in no particular order..
1.Polaris 330 Trail Boss
2.Polaris 330 Magnum
3.Polaris Explorer 350
4.Polaris 500 Sportsman
5.Polaris 700 Sportsman
6.Polaris Cyclone
7.Yamaha Bear Tracker
8.Suzuki Quadrunner 160
9. Yamaha Moto 4
10.Yamaha Big Bear
I bet you've got one(or more) of theese don't ya Doogie, You should stick to fishin'

from fabiodriven wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Wow, what a bunch of geeks you guys are. I suppose I'd bash on all these trikes too if I rode around on a couch too. Sorry the Tecate and Tri-z didn't come with the recline option or cup holders. I mean, you guys might as well take a 4x4 S-10 out in the woods for christ sake. Riding one of those big chunks of plastic you guys are so high and mighty about takes absolutely no skill. A group of us ran into a group of local 4x4 guys last year and they were all probably over 55 and at least a couple of them were over 300 lbs. That oughtta tell you right there how challenging it is rolling around on your wheeled easy-boys. Liek the other guy posted above, when was the last time you got waved over by somebody to look at your quad? It happens to me all the time on my trikes. All you boys have proven with this retarded article is how truly ignorant to the ATV scene you really are. Anybody who has no appreciation for the past and goes out and drops 10K on a shroud with wheels must be a wealth of knowledge on the subject, right? Wrong! It's a shame that you boys have this little forum of yours to spread your ignorance around...

from marchule wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Wow whoever wrote this is an idiot. Everytime I take out our TRI-Z's, people flag me down and drool at how amazing they are and how they love the look of them. People always want to know about it, what size the motor is, and if they can take it for a spin. Tell me when is the last time somebody got flagged down while riding on one of these new quads? Never!

from taiterator wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

The only thing ugly about the Tri Z and the Tecate would be being behind one!!!! I hope the author of this article never gets behind my Tecate. They'll be eating more than their words!!!!!!!!

from TrailerRider wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Oh my god. How can you say the 85 TriZ and the 85 Tec are ugly?! They are among the Essence of beauty next the the glorious and all mighty Honda 250r ATC. These machines where made to last. I guarantee that you won't see many 450r's in 20 years that run. Hell you can take an old Honda 185 that has been sitting for 10 years and put gas in clean carb and oil change and she'll fire right up and run all day. I know this because I have 5 of them that sat at least that long in the back of sheds in weeds higher than the atc. The ATC's where made to last but with performance in mind. Most of the 250r's and 250 Tec's will out run the new performance quads of today. As already mentioned by another poster the ability to have major performance upgrades is endless. So much so that most are straight swaps in or with very little modification. Heck there are guys/gals converting current dirt bikes to 3 wheelers. I even heard of a couple quads being converted to 3 wheelers. I believe there is a company selling conversion kits for some popular atv's. People are currently restoring 3 wheelers to their natural beauty. The current atv's weight something like 400lb. Good god. Talk about your death trap.. jeez. All that said I would consider the ATC's in a category of the say 57 Chevy's bel air's. They are here and will always be!

Consider your choices carefully next time :)

from oscarmayer wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

You guys are total idiots in my books. The yahama 250 and tri-z are 2 of the most perforamcne built trikes aever made. they look great are ride even better. you guys and your fat cow cow of a atv jsut tend to mosey around everywhere. The guys that ride trieks ride them because it's the way things were ment to be. you actually have to RIDE the bike not mosey around and lally gag everywhere.the Honda 250r with it's many availalbe upgrades has been considered the corner stone of perfomance for years and even today is one of the most sought after bikes for off-roading. why? it's ability to be modified and drop in a 500cc+upgrade (usually bolt on with only slight mods) makes it one of the best drag bikes around. Before you go bashing a ATC (trike) think about this. Before you fac cowed atvs existed you had 2 choices. a dirt bike or a 3-wheeler. this went on for 12-15 years before the m,anufacturers decided to add a 4th wheen and charge 4Xs the cost of a 3-wheeler. Since then we as a off-roading community has yet to see a decent priced ATV that is funt to ride. the loewst (excluding the chinese stuff) runs about $2400 for a 250cc put around quad and ti weights about 375lbs+. the 250r ran $2400 new and it was the crowing jewl back in it's new days. while the new raptor 700cc bikes are king, they also run what? $8500+?

Before you go talking trash about something look at today's modern bike.s they look ugly but perform well. just like the older ATCs that were performance built. Why? Racing is not about "Pretty", it's about functionality.

from marchule wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from oscarmayer wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from TrailerRider wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Consider your choices carefully next time :)

from fabiodriven wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

from jeremy250cc wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

from Mike DeChellis wrote 16 weeks 5 days ago

Comment below me is from an uneducated dumbass.

from tri-z wrote 15 weeks 3 days ago

Doogie might want to get his head out of the mud!

from taiterator wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from fabiodriven wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Christopher Kre... wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

from Triston Nelson wrote 5 weeks 15 hours ago

2003 polaris trailblazer 400 and I like I think it isn't half bad looking.

from Rickybudz wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Proudfather2

from bp739 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

1.Polaris 330 Trail Boss
2.Polaris 330 Magnum
3.Polaris Explorer 350
4.Polaris 500 Sportsman
5.Polaris 700 Sportsman
6.Polaris Cyclone
7.Yamaha Bear Tracker
8.Suzuki Quadrunner 160
9. Yamaha Moto 4
10.Yamaha Big Bear

from proudfather2 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

3-wheelers are in the past for a reason!

from Keith Jackson wrote 21 weeks 5 days ago