As with the Zombie Apocalypse itself, the question has always been more “when” than “if” a major ammunition company would introduce a line of zombie-specific ammo. Today that question was answered with the announcement of Hornady’s new Zombie Max ammunition and Proven Z-Max bullets. The announcement didn’t come in the form of some boring old press release, though. Check out the video sent by Hornady’s marketing department at lunchtime today (GRAPHIC IMAGE WARNING):
So, yeah, lots to discuss there. Here are a few talking points that rush to mind:
1. I’ve been wondering what Pam Beasley’s ex-fiance has been up to. Now we know.
2. At :25 it would have been nice if the dude had actually fired the gun, even with a blank or something. In an otherwise well-done video, this one flaw really stands out. Sorry, I’m a critic.
3. As my co-worker Jim Walsh said: “I especially love the T.J. Hooker roll over the abandoned car.”
4. The make-up work on the zombies is fantastic. Their realism is right up there with that of the walkers in “The Walking Dead.” Speaking of which, do you think it was a coincidence that Zombie Max ammo was announced just three days before the season-two premier of the critically acclaimed AMC show? Me neither.
5. Everyone knows that zombies react to and are attracted to sound. This guy yells way too much. Also, wouldn’t a subsonic round through a suppressor make sense here?
6. The quadruple-tap on the woman zombie at :47 made me sit up.
7. The sextuple-tap on the next one made me chuckle.
8. That disclaimer. Wow. Can you imagine the conversations between Hornady’s marketing department and their legal team leading up to the release of this vid?
Legal: “So, let me get this straight. The video is going to show a man shooting other people with this new ammunition offering from Hornady?”
Marketing: “No, not other people. Zombies.”
Legal: “Oh, well in that case…”
The ammo will be offered in 9mm Luger (115gr Z-Max), 40 S&W (165gr), 45 Auto (185gr), 223 Rem (55gr), 7.62×39 (123gr), 308 Win (168gr) and 12 gauge (00 Buck Shot). Everything should hit shelves before the end of the month, except for the 12 gauge, which will be available around the first of December. Load up now before it’s too late.
Can’t get enough zombie coverage? Click the links below…
20 Things You Need to Know to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse
Champion Releases New Zombie Target
Surviving the Undead: Zombie Guns
Centers For Disease Control Releases its Guidelines for a Zombie Apocalypse