Brady Campaign Releases Its Annual Gun-Control Scorecard

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

February 24, 2012
Brady Campaign Releases Its Annual Gun-Control Scorecard - 8

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence issued its annual scorecard-rankings of states with the strongest gun-control laws on Feb. 15 and it determined that California has the most restrictive gun control laws in the country.

The Brady Campaign awarded California 81 points out of a possible 100 points. California earned the dubious distinction by passing new laws covering background checks on gun sales, limiting gun ownership, and requiring long gun purchases, in addition to handgun sales, to be recorded.

In essence, California earned the top ranking because its firearms laws are so complex, convoluted, and confusing, any gun owner can conceivably become an unwitting felon by attempting to comply with them.

And that's a good thing, according to the Bradyites.

Other states placing high in the rankings were, of course, the usual suspects: Illinois, New Jersey and New York. The lowest-ranking states, with scores of “zero” were Alaska, Arizona and Utah.

In response to the Brady Campaign’s report, Gun Owners of California noted, “These laws suppress the rights of law abiding gun owners, and criminals continue to be able to get whatever they want.”

Perhaps the most compelling aspect to the release of the annual scorecard was the lack of response -- a silent ho-hum from the mainstream media.

For more, go to:
-- California Tops Ranking of States for Gun Control

-- Brady Campaign Issues 2011 State Scorecards

from IND_NRA wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

@carvedecoy
That is the question we have been asking for many years now. The states that have the least amount of restrictions also have the lowest amount of gun violence. The right for me to protect myself out weighs the ignorance of criminals whether they are out on the street, or sitting on capitol hill. "Those that hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not" famous quote

from carvedecoy wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Im not the smartest person in the world but it seems to me that its pretty simple. A criminal will not follow the law period. So explain to me how this will keep guns out of criminal hands? Law abiding citizens are put at more risk because of the red tape to obtain a gun legally. Does this make sense to anyone else?

from Ruckweiler wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

I'm sorry Jim Brady was shot by the assassin who shot at President Reagan but Sarah Brady has lost her mind. She's become as loony as Cindy Sheehan. I ignore her group on anything because she's become hysterically nuts on this issue. Wonder if Jim is even aware of what she's doing?

from Montanagyrene wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

This would be a GREAT "What states to AVOID visiting" list!!

from Bob Hansen wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Super interesting. And nowhere did I see any reasoning behind CA's laws...especially for long guns.

Such information could easily turn any state into a police state. Just remember what happened to Germany and neighboring Countries under hitler's flourishing rule.

Could that happen here? Now, think twice before you answer...!!

from akferraro1 wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

That's what you get for pulling the donkey's lever. Democrats take away guns- that simple.

from buriti wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Bad news is that Michigan made #11, and since I live there I would like it to be #50!

The report is irrelevant at best.

Please, read my blog. Just google "A Wild Beast at Heart".

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Ho hum is right. CA, IL, NY, and NJ are no surprise to me at all.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Ho hum is right. CA, IL, NY, and NJ are no surprise to me at all.

from akferraro1 wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from Bob Hansen wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Could that happen here? Now, think twice before you answer...!!

from buriti wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

The report is irrelevant at best.

Please, read my blog. Just google "A Wild Beast at Heart".

from Montanagyrene wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

This would be a GREAT "What states to AVOID visiting" list!!

from Ruckweiler wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago