Turkey Shotgun Bipods

Strut Zone Recent Posts

Strut Zone

March 29, 2010
Turkey Shotgun Bipods - 21

We all want to get that extra edge when we're looking down the barrel at a strutting gobbler. Fatigue kicks in if we have to hold steady too long as that tough tom works into range. Arms and wrists wobble and shake. Sometimes that errant movement can blow the whole deal for us, and turkeys spook. Putt-putt! Expletive deleted. Game over man. Until next time.

Some guys use shooting sticks to stabilize their firearm's weight. Another product has just arrived on the scene for this turkey season to help you do just that.

Stoney Point's so-called Rapid Pivot system, previously only marketed in the rifleman's domain, is available for shotgun now. Both bipod and tripod versions attach to the magazine cap and can be quickly detached when not in use. Why bother? Not only can you fix point of aim prior to your killing shot, but the rapid pivot yoke also adjusts for height.

Here at the Strut Zone we like to talk about new gear the way we might at a turkey camp pre-dawn breakfast table before the morning's hunt.

I'll be honest. I tend to be a run-and-gun guy who begins with a lot of gear in some early turkey states, and then grooms my vest down to lean-and-mean mode. While I've tagged turkeys with many different shotguns over the years, I tend to carry a 12-gauge pump. Old school. Carrying an extra shotgun stabilizing system usually isn't on my big-woods running radar.

Except for this: I can see one huge advantage in using something like this when mentoring a young or new turkey hunter. Shooting sticks, and systems such as Stoney Point's Rapid Pivot options, might help that neophyte hunter settle in for the one killing shot. What do you Strut Zoners think? Do you carry shooting sticks and the like? Dislike them with a passion reserved for political arguments? Ever kill or miss a bird because of a shooting stick, bipod or tripod?

More info at stoneypoint.com

from pineywoods wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I'm with Charlie Elk about never saying never, but I don't think any sort of bi, tri or monopod is in my immediate future because the turkeys and terrain I hunt present too many opportunities for awkward shots that would only be made worse by an attachment or support to deal with in addition to maneuvering the gun. I swear the turkeys can tell from the sound of the box caller whether I'm left or right handed and will come up from the wrong side---when they come at all, that is.

from Steve Hickoff wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Amazing hunt calyncokeboy! Wonderful stuff. Thanks for sharing it. Good hearing from the rest of you guys too. Stay tuned for my next CA hunt post (We've got A.M., Day 1 up now.) I've other good stuff to follow from reports from around the country. It's happening! Stay tuned. -S.

from james7xchamp3 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Steve,

Tried a monopod (attached to gun) with my nephew a few years back figuring it would help him keep the shotgun steady and lessen movement. It turned out the opposite. As you know them birds can appear where you least expect them and the monopod became more of a nuisance when trying to reposition. I took it off after that first day, and he ended up killing his first bird. I suppose it would be good if you absolutely knew where the bird was going to appear.

from james7xchamp3 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

What a great story calyncokeboy! That first bird is always special, and the father/son deal makes it that much sweeter. Real nice that your other son got to share the moment also! Congrats to JD on his first bird and such a special day/hunt!

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Great story calyncokeboy thanks for sharing I love stories of young hunters and the picture says it all. You have good reason to be proud.
later,
charlie

from Tony Williams wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Great story calyncokeboy!

I was posting to say that I haven't used sticks or pods for turkey hunting, but would definitely look into it when I take my son. Trying to work up a trip to either Ohio or Virginia next year to try and get him his first bird. He'll be 8 next year and although he is probably ready this year, I can't seem to get a trip in order. I just hope it turns out half as good as the story above.

Tony

from calyncokeboy wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks guys. I have some pictures up now in my profile. They are not great since they are all from moblile phone....the computer erased the camera shots from the card and I have to try and recover them. It was a great hunt...the bird gobbled early but wouldnt commit to our setup...he drifted in and out for nearly two hours and then headed up the ridge. I thought he was going to leave so I hit him with a lot of cuts, some excited yelps, and some gobbles from a shaker. Around 9 he sounded off about 50 yards from us and quickly closed the distance to challenge the strutter decoy. JD made a great shot (exceptional for a 6 year old) and dropped the bird in his tracks. I am also very proud of Carson, my 4 year old. He stayed very still and very quiet during the entire hunt and got to share this wonderful moment with his brother. I have shot many turkeys and all of them were special to me...but I have to say that this is what hunting is all about. I have never been more excited...and words cannot describe the feeling of watching a legacy and heritage move on in a right of passage between father and sons.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

calyncokeboy
Thanks for sharing that is really awesome. Hope you have some pics posted the next thing I do after this post is head to your profile to take a look.
later,
charlie

from Josh N. wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Nice one calyncokeboy. Sounds like a hell of a time. Can't wait to have a son or daughter of my own some day to bring out hunting. Hell of a first bird. Congrats!

from calyncokeboy wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Hey Steve,

This post may be a little out of place but I wanted to boast a little today. The relative point to this post is my son is 6 and went on his first hunt today with the help of a monopod to support the single shot 20 guage he was toting. I am also happy to say he dropped the hammer on a great longbeard this morning....10 1/4 inch beard and 18 pounds!! I will post pics and story as soon as I can....I am as proud as a dad can be right now!!

Happy Hunting!!

from Josh N. wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I have kinda used shooting sticks once. For my first bird I built my own ground blind with camo netting and shooting sticks built into the middle of it. The design worked ok and I got a bird but I have never used it since. I like having the bare minimum of stuff and be "lean and mean" like you said steve. heck i don't even run around with decoys.
I suppose bipods that are always attached to the gun could be good because they don't get in the way and if you are in a spot for awhile it would be more comfortable than resting the gun on your knees.
Oh and by the way, save some turkeys in Maine. I'll be home in the second half of the season to try my luck on some birds.

from chasseur wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I use a trigger stick mono-pod from time to time. Helpful for cold calling and/or planning to sit for an hour. Supports the shotgun and leaves a hand free for calls. Definitely less tiring than trying to support the gun on a knee pad for a long period. Can still move if the tom approaches from another direction.

Not needed for run-and-gun. Still try to adapt; too old to be flexible....

from the decoy hunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Just worried about getting hand cuffed out in the field--just due to the fact you cannot always predict how a bird will come in on you---not a personal choice for myself

from seadog wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I've never used a bipod or tripod for hunting, but there have been a few times when I wished I had one. I have used a stick--native flora, not factory fresh. As I get older & less steady, I'll probably break down & buy one of the factory models--just to help stimulate the economy--I prefer the ones god makes but maybe I can part with a few dollars to help some poor starving corporation survive by making & selling something that I can find in the woods. LOL

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

A) Shooting sticks?---No
B) Shotgun bipods?----No
c) Shotgun tripods?---No

Might you in the future?--I have learned never say "Never"
later,
charlie

from Levi Banks wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I bought a shooting stick to take my nephews hunting a couple of years ago, we haven't shot at anything off of it yet, but I use it myself now. It's expandable so if I'm walking somewhere steep, muddy, or otherwise treacherous I can use it to get through and if I'm sitting for a long time it can help to keep the gun up. It's a little wobbly, if bipods didn't cost a lot more I'd think about getting one of them, but stick it in the ground a couple of inches and it's a little less moving I have to do if a turkey shows up.

from Steve Hickoff wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Hey Bo. Thanks for checking in. Neat to hear you've had some success with the sticks. So that's one yes, and one maybe so far. Anyone else? Thanks again guys. -S.

from Steve Hickoff wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Let us know here at the SZ if you do, patrick88. Would love to hear how they work out for ya. Thanks. -S.

from Bo wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I have a tremor in my left arm if I try to hold it still, it is the residual from a stroke more than 15 years ago. I use shooting sticks when deer hunting and when turkey hunting. I can hold the gun ready and not have it waving like a flag.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

you know thats not a bad idea steve i have bipods never thought of useing them on my turkey gun.

from Steve Hickoff wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

We're taking an informal poll of Strut Zoners.

When turkey hunting, have you guys ever used:

A) Shooting sticks?
B) Shotgun bipods?
c) Shotgun tripods?

Might you in the future?

Curious. Thanks. -S.

from Steve Hickoff wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

We're taking an informal poll of Strut Zoners.

When turkey hunting, have you guys ever used:

A) Shooting sticks?
B) Shotgun bipods?
c) Shotgun tripods?

Might you in the future?

Curious. Thanks. -S.

from Bo wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Steve Hickoff wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

A) Shooting sticks?---No
B) Shotgun bipods?----No
c) Shotgun tripods?---No

Might you in the future?--I have learned never say "Never"
later,
charlie

from seadog wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from calyncokeboy wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Steve Hickoff wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from the decoy hunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from chasseur wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Not needed for run-and-gun. Still try to adapt; too old to be flexible....

from Josh N. wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago