UPDATE Marlin Firearms to Close

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

March 26, 2010
UPDATE Marlin Firearms to Close - 31

UPDATE: I just spoke with some officials from The Freedom Group about the fate of Marlin and they told me that while the North Haven, Connecticut, plant is going to be shut down, they will continue to produce Marlin guns in the future.

Where that's going to happen is still up in the air. I asked whether production will continue in the U.S. and was told that all options were on the table. That said, the company official told me they were going to retain the existing plant's tooling and would give the to-be-laid-off employees the opportunity to apply for work at the new facility, wherever that might be.

The company says what it is certain about is the desire to keep producing Marlins and invest in the brand with no reduction in the variety of lever guns, bolt guns and rimfires.

The timeline for the closing of the existing plant won't be set until a new location for Marlin is identified.

The Model 94 might be back but it looks as though Marlin Firearms is set to close. There’s no way to sugarcoat this news: this really stinks.

A 140-year-old icon is disappearing, 256 people are going to lose their jobs and lever-gun fans are going to have to content themselves with browsing the used-gun racks.

For people like me, whose first image of a deer rifle was a lever gun, this is a black day. The virtues of a lever gun are many—they are handy, elegant, effective and, from the perspective of a gun nut, have great histories and are interesting examples of industrial design. It is discouraging to think that they can’t be produced in such a way as to be profitable—especially in light of the some of the advances Marlin achieved in partnership with Hornady Ammunition in recent years.

Do lever guns still have a place in the field today? Without a doubt, yes. I used one this last fall up in Saskatchewan for deer and wouldn’t have been better served by any other rifle. The compact profile of my Marlin 336C was ideal for the tight confines of the blinds I hunted from and in .35 Rem. delivered plenty of oomph for those big-bodied Canadian bucks.

The last new lever gun I purchased was a Marlin in .308 Marlin Express. I certainly didn’t need the rifle from any practical standpoint—I own a dozen other rifles that will do exactly what it can—but I appreciated the effort the company was making to keep their products relevant to modern hunters. I haven’t shot it much and my plan was to send it off to Jim West of Wild West Guns to have him convert it into one of his crazy-accurate takedowns. I still might do that but now I’m not so sure. I might want to keep it stock and pristine so that when I take it hunting it will remind me of what was best about Marlin in its final days.

from Western23 wrote 2 weeks 6 days ago

Adding my Marlin thoughts, I own a Marlin lever action 1894, 44 Mag. It shoots like a 22 with more than enough punch. Besides hunting accuracy they are good for Cowboy action competition too. Solid guns and glad I have one too.

from Rudi Prohaska wrote 15 weeks 1 day ago

Update December 2013 -- I recently purchased a new Marlin .22 stamped "Marlin Firearms - Mayfield Kentucky USA"

from Rudi Prohaska wrote 1 year 2 hours ago

This article is over 3 years old-- is there and update on this? Latest news I can find is that Marlins are being produced in Remington plants.
It would be nice to see an article on who makes all current guns and where. E.G.-Winchesters '94's made in Japan.

from Rodney Mims wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

The very first rifle I bought myself was a marlin 3030 when I was sixteen. I did not like the light weight and recoil of the Winchester. For the next five years it always got me my buck. I sold it when I got back from VietNam have not hunted since but I do miss the rifle.

from Olin Kemp Johns... wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Doesn't sound like they are going out of business but moving the production. If they are going to offer the employees the opportunity to work at the new facility it would seem reasonable that it would be in the USA. I have a Marlin Glenfield semiautomatic 22, that I got new, that is now 40 years old and still looks and works like new. So I hope that another American Co. doesn't close, especially one that occupies a spot in my heart.

from Mike McLaughlin wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I have an industrial lot for sale in NH that would accommodate a new Marlin factory quite nicely.

from Jim Aldelfinskaya wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

After doing some research, not in depth, it does appear crazy George does not have ownership of this diversified capital company. I stand corrected until further information is reviewed.

from Jim Aldelfinskaya wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

George Soros does have influence and control on this capital investment. Liberals just don't like TRUTH.

from John Chalus wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

George Soros has nothing to do with the company buying Marlin. Cerebus is a privately held company whose board of directors includes Dan Quayle and George Bush.

from Lawrence Green wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I have received information that the company that is buying Marlin is controlled by George Soros. Think about it.

from daeng wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information. Bathroom Tile Designs

from Danny Ellsworth wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I am 65 years old and my father gave me my first rifle it was a 1892 Marlin .32cal rimfire rifle. I have loved Marlin rifles all my life I have several and I have bougth a few for my son to. It is a very dark day to see an old
side kick go by the way side. I don't know the problems of
the company but I am sure if there was a way they would stay here in this country making the best rifles in the world. When I pass on My son will get ALL my Marlin rifles
and his son and so on.

from Bob4108 wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

Buy em now, as soon as they manufacture someplace else, I hope in the good ole USA, the price of the old ones goes up.

from A.Marlin.Employee wrote 4 years 1 day ago

lever actions will not be manufactured in Ilion New York. The XL line will be manufactured in Kentucky. 265 people will be let go.

from MARINESNIPER44 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I can't even count how many coyotes and wild dogs our Marlin 336 30-30 has killed. It is one of the most reliable firearms out there. I hope they don't move across seas or stop making any of the their firearms. I wish they would bring back the 922

from Old Salts wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I have a 30-30 my Father gave me when I was seven and it's a Auto Western lever action and I still have it in very good condition!

Just sneezed, I'm willing to $$$ they are waiting to see what happens this Octobers elections, what the Unions and Obama Administration will do!

from Old Salts wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

A.Marlin.Employee, I do remember back in the Clinton days when the Machinist Union went on strike shutting down Colt and the loss of revenue made them to strike a deal and drop their handgun line for Civilian sales. Nobody will confirm this, but it surly was bad timing for Colt!

from Old Salts wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Darn I had a brain fart and trying to remember what State who welcomes Firearm Manufacturers with full protection?

Getting old sucks!

from Raziel Drakis wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Well I own my Grandfathers' Winchester and my youngest sister owns' our Father's Marlin, both leverguns and both in caliber .30-30 Winchester, with nothing more than a leather sling and buckhorn ironsights on each of them. Still serving us both well in the woods to this day. Heck even my Aunt Kathy own's a Marlin .30-30 ironsight with a sling! We all perfer Winchester Super-X Silver-Tips in 170Grains for Whitetail Dear here in the south. Well I guess theirs not much hope fore leverguns in the near future, unless you want a Mossberg Model 464 so far, only in .30-30win? Fare Well, Dearest Leverguns of "Winchester & Marlin" serving us so well for two+ decades. Rest In Peace!

from Flatbed wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Man I hate this, all my favorite rifles are Marlins, two of which I bought when I was just a kid. Still in use, my 22 that I bought at 14 is on the 3rd firing pin.

from A.Marlin.Employee wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

As a Marlin Employee for 23 years I am devastated. We were told Thursday, March 25th that 265 people will be losing their job. There was no compassion in the voice that told us. Rumors are that a lot of the operation will be moving to Kentucky.

from PittsburghDeerH... wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I also started on a Marlin. I put the nose of my first deer on the ground with a Marlin. Another great American company down.

from luckytexan wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

The linked ABC News article linked above has been updated to say that Marlin is only closing its North Haven plant. It now reports that the manufacturing operations will be relocated to "an undetermined site." David Petzal, over at Field and Stream, is reporting the same thing in his blog.

from EricAichele wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

The first rifle I ever shot was a Marlin Lever Action. This hurts my soul a little bit.

from seadog wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Say it ain't so. I only own one Marlin--I'll treasure it now.

from damo450 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Oh my god! I have to get to the gun store and snatch up some marlins before the prices go up like winchesters. XLR 450 here I come! I am absolutely devastated.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

this just sucks no good will come of this!

from Johnnie wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Marlin not only makes lever actions, but also bolt actions and semi-auto loaders. Would hate to see Marlin go out of business. Maybe the Freedom Group, Inc. can buy Marlin and save the company. It is a shame 256 people will be loosing a job - a job they most likely enjoy and love.
Knight muzzleloaders went out of business in the past year. Charles Daly is going out of business. Ithaca firearm company been out of business.
If, Marlin goes out of business; there goes another American way. Lets hope Marlin doesn't go out of business.

from Bo wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

TCH and Bullbarrel, Can you provide some links, other than wikipedia, to support those assertions. I would be interested in reading them.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Very sad I loved the marlin 30-30 this is a surprise because americans was buying guns at record numbers

from DivineStrake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is a dark day in our nation's history. R.I.P. Marlin.

from DivineStrake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is a dark day in our nation's history. R.I.P. Marlin.

from A.Marlin.Employee wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Johnnie wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Danny Ellsworth wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

side kick go by the way side. I don't know the problems of
and his son and so on.

from seadog wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Say it ain't so. I only own one Marlin--I'll treasure it now.

from Raziel Drakis wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from damo450 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from EricAichele wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Bo wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

this just sucks no good will come of this!

from PittsburghDeerH... wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago