Are Gun Owners Being Dropped From Insurance Policies?

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

February 18, 2011
Are Gun Owners Being Dropped From Insurance Policies? - 4

Insurance companies deny it but bloggers nationwide are documenting instances where gun owners have allegedly been dropped from property insurance policies because, they suspect, they had weapons in their homes.

Travelers Insurance and State Farm Insurance have both allegedly singled out gun owners for exclusion when renewing policies.

In a Feb. 16 news story in The Hartford Courant by Matthew Sturdevant, Travelers declined to comment about specific cases because its dealings with customers are private. While it insures guns from theft, it would not say if owning certain types of rifles and handguns is a risk that Travelers considers uninsurable.

"Every individual is evaluated on the particular risks," Travelers spokesman Matt Bordonaro told Sturdevant.

Gary Atkinson of Chapin, S.C., claims State Farm dropped his homeowner’s insurance policy because he owned firearms, not because he was seeking to insure them.

Perhaps more alarming is a growing call from anti-gun extremists that all gun owners be required to pay insurance as a condition of legally possessing a firearm.

For more, go to:
-- Travelers Explains Policy After Criticism Over Dropping Assault Rifle Owner

-- State Farm Insurance & Guns

-- Guns and Insurance

-- Should Gun Owners Be Required to Buy Insurance?

-- Why gun insurance should be mandatory

from daeng wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

great post and creative ideas. I am happy to visit and read useful articles here. I hope you continue to do the sharing through the post to the reader. and good luck for the visitors site, insurance online quote

from Yoda wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

A requirement to buy insurance for owning a firearm is utterly ridiculous

from Mike wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

If you were never asked about coverage for additional personal property I would look for an agent that actually cares about properly covering you rather than just collecting your premium. There is a very low limit on certain items like jewelry and guns. A good agent will ask.

Unfortunately, insurance companies are getting very risk adverse - who knows where they will go regarding gun ownership. Farmers in Michigan won't cover you for animal damage of any kind on some homeowners policies. Read your policies so you know what you are actually buying - the policies do vary between companies.

If a company drops you because of gun ownership then go elsewhere and take every one else you know with you. And don't just tell tens of people tell hundreds ... and thousands ... and millions. Internet allows us to do that nowadays.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

I have all my insurance policies through State Farm and have never been asked about owning a gun. When buying my last house I asked them to cover more for personal items and was never asked what personal items I want covered.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago