False Alarm on High-ammo Mag. Ban

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

February 07, 2011
False Alarm on High-ammo Mag. Ban - 4

A Feb. 2 nationwide alert issued by the National Association for Gun Rights claiming that a federal ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines had been surreptitiously slipped into the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act was unfounded.

John Richardson, in a blog filed on "No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money" that same day, scoured the proposed act --  Senate Bill 223 -- in the Congressional record and didn't "find anything remotely concerned with a magazine ban."

Despite the false alarm, Richardson warns Second Amendment advocates to keep a wary eye on Congressional procedures in the coming weeks.

"This is not to say that there won't be an attempt to insert the language banning standard capacity magazines but rather that no attempt has been made that is verifiable as of now," he wrote.

In the wake of the Jan. 8 Tucson shootings, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill) have both vowed to sponsor legislation banning high-capacity ammunition magazines.

No such bill has surfaced thus far.

And, if one does, such a proposal could not be slipped without notice into an existing bill; it must be voted in as an amendment.

For more, go to:
-- Magazine Ban In FAA? Bill

-- Senate Sneaking in Federal Magazine Gun Ban Amendment as Soon as Today

-- Update on Federal Gun Magazine Ban Scheme

-- Like Obamacare, proposed magazine ban exceeds power of Congress

-- Obama’s New Gun Control Campaign – A ‘Slippery Slope’

-- Obama To Push Gun Control Soon

Photo: M62

from OSVdriver wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

To: pay_barrett_rn, first of all, a clip is expendable, a magazine is retained with the firearm to be re-used. Please get your facts straight.

from Bo wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

pat_barrett_rn, that thinking is short sighted, Is there any reason for anyone to have a car that can go over 70 miles an hour, because going that fast can kill people... is there any reason to allow people to have swimming pools in their back yard, because neighbor kids might drown in them... Is there any reason to allow McDonalds, because some people might go there and eat too much and die from heart disease....
The rationale that you have been suckered in to believe can be used in every aspect of your LIFE by those who would love nothing more than to control every aspect of your life.
If you are willing to give up in one area, there are many who are willing to use the same argument to take from you in another.
Are you willing to give up your right to free speech because it offends someone... That is what the civility police and the PC crowd would do. It's called censorship and we are fast being suckered into giving up so much in the name of getting along.
As a nation, we are being controlled more and more. One day the citizenry will wake up and realize that they have no freedom at all and the sad part is, they won't even miss it... I only hope it happens after I am dead, but I won't hold my breath.

from pat_barrett_rn wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

Is there any hunting done with high capacity magazines? I understand that there are some target sports that use high capacity mags for pistols but is there any other reason to have them? I come down on the side of outlawing them, 10-13 shots are more than enough to get anything done short of a standoff with the police or shooting up an office or post office. For all the sportsmen I think that the added safety to the public is totally worth the 2 seconds, literally 2 seconds that it takes a trained hand to change clips.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Not in this bill, but in one soon to come. The idiocy of politicians makes my blood boil! How has society changed so much that we will elect incompetent brain dead morons?(I appologize to the brain dead) I guess I know the answer but am still to ignorant myself to simply except the obvious!

from Dcast wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago