Killed by Coyotes

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

October 29, 2009
Killed by Coyotes - 15

In a story from: www.spinner.com

A teenage folk singer was attacked and killed by two coyotes in a national park in eastern Canada.

Taylor Mitchell, 19, was attacked while she was hiking alone in Cape Breton Highlands Park, Nova Scotia, when she was attacked by two of the animals on Tuesday. She died of her wounds on Wednesday.

Nearby walkers heard her screams and alerted park rangers, who arrived on the scene and shot one of the animals. The other has yet to be found.

A police spokesperson said the two coyotes were "extremely aggressive" when rangers arrived on the scene.

"Coyotes are normally afraid of humans. This is a very irregular occurrence," Bridgit Leger, a spokeswoman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, told Reuters news agency.

Mitchell was airlifted to hospital in Halifax but died there. Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said she had been admitted with multiple bite wounds on her body.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

Mitchell's debut album 'For Your Consideration' had been recorded earlier this year and the artist had been on a tour of eastern Canada when the attack occurred.

"She was so young and talented -- her big dreams were a perfect match with her big, kind heart," said Michael Johnston, the album's producer.

Biologists said attacks by coyotes -- also known as prairie wolves -- were extremely rare because the animals were usually very wary of humans. The area of the park where the attack happened has now been blocked of as officials try to find out what caused the attack.

from albertahunter wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

to biker Bob- Bear Spray is legal in Canada, for Bears, not protection from anything else, and must be bigger canister, not key chain sizes. some stupid laws they have here that leave people vulnerable. of course cops have the smaller sizes to use on the public.
Sad about the girls death, and who are the idiots that did nothing when aggressive coyotes were reported in the park for some time. Rangers did nothing to cull them.

from jerramor wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

The coyote is a most amazing survivor,it's nearly impossible to erradicate them. A long-time Indian friend of mine said their belief is the coyote eventually will be the only living species on earth. Another said if there were nuclear holocaust only coyotes and Keith Richards would survive. I never refuse to take one out given the opportunity while deer hunting. Condolensces and prayers to the family. No-one deserves this.

from Bordetella wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

If you try to eradicate them in your area,the female will have a larger litter.Better to hunt them legally and to make them afraid of man.

from patrick88 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

this is just to sad.there are no words that can be said to comfort her family.just that we all will pray for them!

from Kody wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I was startled to read of this event. My Golden Retriever has had several encounters with a very large and aggressive male coyote that enters the park by my home. My presence seemed to have little effect on him though I made myself large and charged him making plenty of noise. I thought it was bizarre that I got so little reaction from the animal as he did not seem alarmed, but I made little of the event. I have no fear of coyotes by way of my experience hunting and observing them during those times. I have mentioned in this forum that if there are to be serious mishaps between coyotes and man in the future it will likely be the result of them losing their fear of man. Apparently, the future is now. I have been disinclined to shoot coyotes that is about to change.

from MWK_MN wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

So sad. Makes me want to shoot the coyotes I most likely will see deer hunting next week. Even thought this lady wouldn't want it I probably will because I know families with young children live in the area and you just never know. Also, I believe that some people can be blindsided by their love for animals that they don't see the real/true dangers predators can be on innocent people.

from bikr bob wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I recently went to Nova Scotia to bicycle the Cabot Trail through the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Before crossing the border into Canada, my pepper spray was confiscated. I was told that it was banned in Canada. When I asked the border guard what I'm supposed to do if attacked by a wild animal, I was told to "just pedal faster". I believe if this young woman was allowed to carry pepper spray, she would still be alive. Someone needs to lobby to make pepper spay legal in Canada.

from Lance wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I wonder if it was her time of the month? That might bring them in faster, that smell would seem like weakness. Wolves kill moose and the size difference between moose and wolves is bigger then that of Coyotes and deer or people for that matter. Go armed if you

from jamesti wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

this is why we have hunting seasons. if you only kill the animals after they have attacked you have done the victum a disservice. keep them in check and you have less of this. these are wild animals and if you can predict what they are gonna do from one minute to the next, you know more than the animals do! rest in peace girl!

from rutjoe wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I've already written about a pack of seves coyotes seen by myself while in a deer stand. This was less than twenty miles from Phila, in southern N.J. Errie feeling when all you have is a bow. In N.J., there is no way to arm yourself for protection.

from Colorado Samurai wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I wish to offer my most humble and heartfelt condolences to the young lady's family. I hope God will give you the strength to see you through this horrible time and that you will only remember the good times with her.

from Viking wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

...this is why I always have at least a sidearm on me in our woods here in the Southeastern U.S. with all the coyotes and large feral dogs we have around here. Of course my being a 6'2" 210+Lbs aggressive male and not a small female would help if the pack numbers were not simply overwhelming...She was most likely easily overwhelmed from the looks of her (i.e.: skinny & frail) - not meant as an insult just a point of fact but that with animals - if you look like food you stand a good chance of being eaten/attacked. This is true of other predators, mountain lions, bears, wolves, and even the 2-legged type on the street. Of course I am sure Canadian law probably prevented her from being armed for her protedtion.

I have told my boys to shoot them if they can, but if they only have a single shot rifle (i.e.: their deer rifles) to climb a tree and wait for me.

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Sad that she was killed. These animals are not cute and fuzzy. They are meat-eating predators. Folks need to pay attention in the wild or you may become the eaten.

from Nick wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Reference the death of the female Canadian folk singer in Cape Breton Island Park, and the cause of this brutal attack: Coyotes are another of the supreme oppurtunistic predator species that regularly take deer of all sizes and age groups by the thousands in North America. No one should therefore be surprised that a young, athletic woman of 19 years out hiking alone was stalked, savagely attacked and passed away afterwards despite the best efforts of medical personnel in one of the best hospitals in the country. Had other hikers in the vicinity that heard the shrieks of agony and terror not intervened at their own peril, the victim surely would have suffered the equal fate of 22 year old Kenton Carnegie in Northern Saskatchewan 2 years ago. This young and healthy engineering student went out for an early evening stroll from the mining camp that he was working at, and when he didn't return in due course, a search party was sent out to find him. Following tracks in the snow the rescuers found where wolves had taken up the trail, then the running flight and blood in the snow, and all too soon came upon the final grim scene. By the time the Mounted Police had arrived and driven off the beasts, a third of the young engineer's body had been consumed. Retrieving the body in the darkness of that lonely forest night by the small band of rescuers, with the sounds of the wolves around them and savage, glinting eyes following their every move from the dark beyond the scant lantern light was a terrible experience as offered by the officer in the inquiry that followed. So while these two attacks took place thousands of miles apart, with different predators, but yielding the same grim results should further warn all that venture into the wild, beautiful places that they then too can be added to the food chain. Be forewarned and appropriately equipped/armed at all times, alert to sights and sounds of the general area, and DON'T GET NAILED....!!!

PS: For those wondering about the sizes of these predators, at least up here in Canada where the attacks took place, coyotes we've taken in the prairie and mountain foothills regions have weighed up to 65 pounds. In regard to wolves, a truly huge grayish-black beast was recently shot by an Alberta hunter that topped out just a few gulps shy of 200 pounds, to be exact 197 by the time they got it onto the weigh scales. So, lads and lassies, keep your heads up...!!!

from billybowfreak69 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

that is horrible! plese pray for her family!! more predator huntin please!!!

from Nick wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from bikr bob wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from Kody wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

from billybowfreak69 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

that is horrible! plese pray for her family!! more predator huntin please!!!

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago