Black Bear Attack!

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

June 30, 2010
Black Bear Attack! - 8

Timothy Scott was attacked by a bear while on a hiking trip Sunday, marking the first recorded black bear attack ever in Kentucky history, according to the Associated Press.

Scott, 56, was hiking ahead of his wife and son in the Daniel Boone National Forest when he spotted a 150-pound black bear. The bear was about 25 feet away, and Scott took a few photos with his cell phone before it disappeared beneath a rock ledge.

Scott started to call his wife to have her take a different trail when the bear reappeared and charged. Scott yelled and tried to scare off the animal, but the bear continued its approach. Scott hit the bear with a stick and tried to scramble away, but the bear “lunged forward and grabbed me a bit but let me go” he told the Associated Press.

Scott tried to dodge around trees but the bear was too quick. It grabbed Scott’s leg, threw him into the woods and then chomped down into his thigh. Scott then went for his pocketknife hoping to gauge the bear in the eye.

“The bear had a really good chunk of my leg in his mouth and was shaking me,” Scott told the Associated Press. “He was trying to subdue me, and he was focused on nothing but doing that.”

Luckily a few other hikers spotted the attack and joined in on the brawl. One hiker threw his daypack at the bear knocking it off of Scott.

The other hikers and Scott retreated back down the trail, with the bear stalking close behind. Scott was picked up by an ambulance at the trailhead and received more than 50 stitches. He’s expected to make a full recovery.

Local authorities have closed the hiking area and are working to kill the problem bear.

Black bears have slowly made their way back into Kentucky from Tennessee and Virginia.  Wildlife officials don’t have solid estimates of black bear numbers in Kentucky, but populations in neighboring states are growing.

Tennessee hunters set a state record in 2009 by harvesting 571 bears. Last year Kentucky held its first black bear season in more than 100 years, but no bears were killed during the two-day hunt.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Using a dry wash to stalk Alaskan caribou I rounded a bend to find a brown bear's rear within arms reach his head pulling willow roots out of a hole in the bank.
One of the many reasons I go on high adventure hunts; out on the edge you can see the line between life and death ever so clearly. Adrenalin surges all senses rise to incredible heights granting one the ability to see inside the vast schemes of life-The nature high. It is a heady rush. This is why I am sure tribes counted coup on predators. djh and I accept the risks of our actions whether intentional or accidental. To my young comrades do not try the dumb and dangerous stuff we do until you too are experienced enough to KNOW it is dumb, stupid and dangerous stuff.
later,
charlie

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

charlie elk, most tribes did such things for fun but fun at high risk. I had fun but like most bears soon as it saw me moving in it was quickly on its way up the range. Another quick bear storie, once I was just getting back from a county fair,it was late 3.am. I was in the back of a van when we arrive at my house I was asleep the wholeride home. I open the door wiped my eye's all I saw was glowing eye's & black hair so I reach out hey dog are you lost? of course after it sprints off in a blink of a eye & mows over our feance then did I realize that it was no dog & was only the other black dog looking animal that hangs out in the dark. So I turned around to shut the door to the van you guy's see that holy $*^( that was close!"what was that" one of those crazy bears!

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Note to djh - do not count coup on bears it is dangerous in the extreme especially where a herd of bears hang out. I know we decided I did it once but it was kind of an accident.
Amy would be very very upset with me planting ideas like that in your head. ;-(
Maybe I should start ending my posts with "don't try these stupid charlie things at home" ;-D
But this time my curiosity demands I ask; was it fun?
later,
charlie

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I have been seeing so many black bears as of late. charlie elk, by the remote lake where the old man with the photo's of the herd of bears. I tried to count coup on a mid size bear, he was eating left overs from campers that just left the area. Note to self: never try to count coup on bear while the better half is watching!

from HawkEye wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Wow I go there as often as I can to hike. It is a beautiful place. It's only about 50 minutes from my house. Glad the guy is ok.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

Oops-Sorry I read this too quickly
trying to be too clever by half.
Sorry,
charlie

from 6phunter wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

uh davy crockett was from tennesee ,black bears in kentucky have been here a long time.though the state had a season , only ten were allocated to be taken.contrary to popular belief kentucky is not all mountainous even though there is a lot of forest in the east, western kentucky is far more populated.Before bears get out of hand here the state should selll bonus bear tags and up the quota.

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

"first recorded black bear attack ever in Kentucky history"????
Wait a minute; how can that be?
While in KY Davy Crockett killed a bear with his knife- Does the AP expect us to believe old Davy was just stabbing the bear with his knife for fun? Most folks, like the hiker in the story only consider stabbing a bad mood bear when it is gets a might close.
later,
charlie

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

"first recorded black bear attack ever in Kentucky history"????
Wait a minute; how can that be?
later,
charlie

from 6phunter wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

Oops-Sorry I read this too quickly
trying to be too clever by half.
Sorry,
charlie

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Amy would be very very upset with me planting ideas like that in your head. ;-(
But this time my curiosity demands I ask; was it fun?
later,