Would You Shoot Bigfoot?

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

May 03, 2012
Would You Shoot Bigfoot? - 29

Bigfoot ... to shoot or not to shoot, that is the question.

Albeit a very hypothetical question considering that despite countless sightings, a host of physical proof, and a ton of interest no one can say for certain that Bigfoot actually exists. Let’s say the species does exist.

If there is a large semi-simian species inhabiting the wild the first person most likely to encounter it would be a hunter (Just look at how many turkey hunters have recently spotted the animal). If -- when -- that happens should said hunter kill the animal to offer proof of its existence to the world?

Many in the Bigfoot community say “No.” The most recent example of this comes from Loren Coleman, director of the International Cryptozoology Museum and author of Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes in America, who resigned his position as a board member of the Texas Bigfoot Research Conservancy (TBRC) over their “pro kill” policy, which the group adopted without consulting him.

Coleman explained his position in an email to me. Mr. Coleman stated, “I find it unfortunate that the members of any Bigfoot group are out in the woods, seemingly and randomly, shooting at furry animate cryptids they feel they should kill to prove the existence of Bigfoot. Besides the unknown legal implications of such behavior (What if the species is found to be a species of Homo? What if it is a human in a hairy suit?), I have been an open advocate of the live capture (telebiology), and non-killing of hairy unknown hominoids for decades.”

Although most Bigfoot organizations, according to Coleman, “do not publicize their positions, too openly, on their policies” concerning whether they are for or against killing, it is safe to assume that most favor the latter and that the TBRC is in fringe territory. In fact, most of the commenters that responded to Colman’s resignation blog post on the website Cryptomundo agree with his stance. Do you?

The legality of shooting a Bigfoot isn’t much of a factor as, according to Coleman, there are currently no laws protecting the animal (See Coleman’s piece on the only major law against killing Bigfoot that has since expired.

If a hunter encounters a Bigfoot (not a hairy guy or someone dressed up in a gorilla suit) while afield should he or she shoot it?

from TimDavey10 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I deffinately would not because if it does exist it is a very rare species and if a man can survive being mauled by a 4 ton elephant I'm sure they could defend themselves from it without killing it. I would be scared at first but would eventually become calm and possibly show that I was no threat>

from hmmmAnd wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Only if I hadn't been drinking or eating some mysterious mushrooms and I felt my life was in danger. I am sure Bigfoot doesn't exist, I asked a wood troll about it he told me nah, I get that a lot.

from WhereDaHellYouFrom wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

First, I'd like to take exception to the way the TBRC is depicted in this blog. They are NOT a pro-kill group. Period. They believe in the science of the matter. In todays day and age, anyone that says they've seen Bigfoot is labeled a nutjob. Hair samples, scat, DNA and THOUSANDS of credible witnesses have yet managed to even get mainstream science to admit that these creatures may exist. Following scientific protocol, a "type specimen" will be required to fully recogize Sasquatch as a real and viable creature. Once this is done, then they can receive all the benefits of being "known"... aka, FEDERAL PROTECTION. If you can come up with a way to capture a 800lbs pissed of Wood Ape, alive, I'm sure that someone will be willing to give it a go.

Secondly, Mr. Coleman hasn't had anything to do with the TBRC since Craig Woolhead left the group years ago... TBRC just hadn't gotten around to removing him from their Board of Advisors listing. I repect him for his stance and his knowledge... everyone is entitled to his own opinion. Has this changed at some point in time, recently?

from Colorado Samurai wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I would run it like this. If I just saw bigfoot walking along somewhere, I would shoot it with my digital camera, stills and video. If the thing was hurling rocks and boulders at me as is sometimes reported, it gets shot. In other words, only in self defense.

from Thundercrotch wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

If you aren't going to eat it and it's not going to eat you, it doesn't get shot. While i do think there may be a bigfoot out there, anybody who would shoot at anything on two legs needs hit with a shovel.With as rare as sasquatch is, there is a much better chance of it being an idiot in a suit (or my hairy ass drunk uncle running around naked again, lol), and while a part of me condones shooting someone stupid enough to wear a furry suit during hunting season so they can't breed, it is still wrong.

from The Captain wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

One of my hunting buddies and I have talked this through. His uncle (a mountain man from Montana of considerable repute) swears he came face-to-face with Bigfoot. He was so scared he dropped his new Matthews bow and RAN back to elk camp. This from a man who has speared cougar and arrowed many bears.
To conclude, my buddy would not shoot Bigfoot unless it was in self defense... but if I were to pull the trigger he would be blasting away as well because he WOULD NEVER become Sasquatch poop.

from captjim wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Assuming the ridicules assumption that bigfoot does exist and I saw it there would be no need to kill it. If it actually existed it could be easily found with any run of the mill search and rescue operation. Unless of course it just happens to have a space blanket to hide from the FLIR camera. Of course the believers will counter with he hides in a cave, puts mud all over himself, mentally lowers his body temperature, bla bla bla bla etc etc. The scary part of this story is these people are allowed to vote.

from CamoFreak117 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I believe in Bigfoot only because of the hundreds of sightings every year. Not only that but all the reports of Bigfoot from early explorers like Lief Ericson and Ponse De Leon (before hoaxes existed). Not to mention how our president Teddy Roosevelt had an encounter that he recorded. We have way to much DNA evidence from hairs and blood that has been collected that comes back "non human species" mixed with "Primate". We also have many footprint casts with horizontal dermal ridges (fingerprint patten on the skin) that cant be hoaxed. If I did come across a Bigfoot I would shoot him, just to open the worlds eyes that they do exist and end the skeptics once and for all.

from Bob Hansen wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Hi...

They don't exist.

But, if by some slim chance...not to mention a freak of nature...I DID see one, I would feel like the most priveleged man in the world...!!

I would have no reason to kill it, short of its attempting to harm me. Furthermore, I'd never mention it to another person. Why? 'Cause they don't exist...!!

from Sven_Katur wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

My guess would be a Doctor - either Dolittle or Seuss ...

from JM wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

You can't learn from a carcass? Who told you this?
-I'll agree with you that is hard to shoot something that you can not see...not sure what you meant by that comment.

from John Lloyd Scharf wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

No one learns, even scientifically, from a carcass, regardless of species you need to know:1.Habitat, 2. behaviors, 3.Tracks, and 4.DNA barcoding. On anatomy, structure and and function, but dead animals do not function.

from John Lloyd Scharf wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Don't shoot what you cannot see or don't eat.
Don't eat mammals that walk on two legs.
Don't go out in the woods with hunters who do.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I wouldn't shoot the thing if I didn't feel threatened. I wouldn't tell anyone I saw it either.

from DANO wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I posed this exact same question during a lull in turkey hunting to my uncle. We both agreed to shoot first and ask questions later.
We also decided that a strict vow of secrecy would need to be taken. The last thing we wanted was Bigfoot turd counters and camera wielding tourists tromping over our hunting grounds.

from Ruger wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

No I wouldn't shoot Bigfoot unless it was threatening the life of a family member or my life.

from pineywoods wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Not unless it was attacking me, the same as a homo sapiens. By the way, have there ever been any credible reports of people being physically attacked by a bigfoot? Other than the jerky commercials, which may have been staged?

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

All jokes aside, i would at least try & get a decent picture of 'Bigfoot' before anything else. I would only open fire if 'Bigfoot' decided my family or myself was on the menu.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I hate wearing shoes- ain't got 'em on unless I'm at work. That being said, if any one of youse guys sees my tracks, follows them & then shoots me, I'm gonna be mighty upset.

from Carson wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

There have been some very good points raised so far, however none have considered what if your life was in danger? We have all watched the “Jack links” jerky commercial where big foot try’s to steal the jerky, but I am not talking about a life and death situation. Would you shoot Bigfoot if he was running off with your Yeti cooler (no pun intended) if it was full of your beer?????

from cjohnsrud wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

What's a Bigfoot?

from mudrat wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Bigfoot is a catch 22 if you say that you saw one, your seeing things, and if you shot one you would be condemed for killing it. The best you could hope for is to have tissue samples or a darn good close up picture.NO I would not shoot one!

from Sven_Katur wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Absolutely - a stuffed Big Foot would add just the right balance to the room I keep my Pegasus, Mermaid and Phoenix mounts.

from Huntn4Bigft wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

All other reasons aside, "Bigfoot" is an endangered species. End of story. No right thinking human should purposefully kill a endangered species unless said animal is mortally wounded/sick or endangering human life. I have been tracking bigfoot for 11 years. They ARE real. I am ashamed to think that any so-called sportsman would consider killing a healthy animal simply to prove it is there.

from Ishi wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Let us assume for a moment Bigfoot does exist. It would be one of the rarest animals on the face of the earth. Shooting it would be a travesty. What if it is a pregnant female?

If any sighting was even remotely true, if Bigfoot was in the area, he can be found.

from JM wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

If I was certain it wasn't a human in a suit then yes.

from Orange Grove wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I'm not sure if a deer rifle could take down something that big with one shot. I mean it could but probably not the best caliber for a giant gorilla thing

from elkslayer wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

I would shoot it, science is going to learn a lot more from a body than from another grainy video.

Just make sure it isn't a hunter in a ghillie suit.

(oh and full body mount all the way)

from dcernick wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Only if they're going to eat it :)

from Ishi wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Sven_Katur wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Ruger wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from John Lloyd Scharf wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Don't shoot what you cannot see or don't eat.
Don't eat mammals that walk on two legs.
Don't go out in the woods with hunters who do.

from JM wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

You can't learn from a carcass? Who told you this?

from Huntn4Bigft wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from mudrat wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Carson wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from pineywoods wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Bob Hansen wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Hi...

They don't exist.

from WhereDaHellYouFrom wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from dcernick wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Only if they're going to eat it :)

from elkslayer wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

Just make sure it isn't a hunter in a ghillie suit.

(oh and full body mount all the way)

from Orange Grove wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from JM wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

If I was certain it wasn't a human in a suit then yes.

from cjohnsrud wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

What's a Bigfoot?

from DANO wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from Sven_Katur wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

My guess would be a Doctor - either Dolittle or Seuss ...

from CamoFreak117 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago