World's Largest Cottonmouth?

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

July 19, 2013
World's Largest Cottonmouth? - 12

The Mossy Oak film crew recently posted this video, titled "World's Largest Cottonmouth Snake," on YouTube. Here's the info they published with the clip:

"What would you do in this situation? The Mossy Oak crew came across this venomous cottonmouth (water moccasin) while out planting a duck hole in the summer. You just never know what you might run into down here in the south. "

It's definitely a big snake, but it's hard to tell just how big in this clip. And, there are some snake stories on the web that that claim some pretty massive serpents.

What do you think? Is this the biggest cottonmouth you've ever seen?

from nick zeiger wrote 38 weeks 4 days ago

I have seen bigger.

from Sonny Burnett wrote 47 weeks 6 hours ago

makes a long handle shovel look short.lol

from pineywoods wrote 50 weeks 1 day ago

Looks like a bug 'un, but there's nothing to scale its size to. I don't like cottonmouths---they are territorial and aggressive and don't rattle.

from Louzianajones wrote 1 year 1 day ago

Over the years I have encountered several that were an easy six feet. Big ones like that are not as common in Louisiana as they used to be. There was a time when I hated them, and killed every one I saw. That was long ago when I was young. As I grew older I learned to leave them alone. They play an important part in Nature and should be allowed to live. Now, I am happy to just take a picture and let them swim or crawl away.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 2 days ago

To bad nobody from the Mossy Oak film crew was like the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irvin. Australia's television star would have picked the snake up so you could judge the size of it.

Rest in Peace Crocodile Hunter

from 1uglymutha wrote 1 year 3 days ago

In my home state of Oklahoma I have seen Cottonmouths as big if not bigger than this one. As boys,my friends and I have captured several specimens that are as large as this one appears to be. That,of course,happened when I was young enough to be stupid. Nowadays I wouldn't be caught anywhere near one of these if I had a choice. As an afterthought, my fishing buddies and I counted 67 cottonmouths around just one farm pond that we were bass fishing. Spooky.

from dek0609 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

If you look at 47 seconds is that a shotgun shell right beside the snake.

from dek0609 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

If you look at 47 seconds you will see a shotgun shell right beside the snake. That would indicate that the snake might be 2-3 ft long. In my state that's a midget!

from charlie elk wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Being a healthy skeptic of internet pictures and videos this snake may not be as big as it looks. There is nothing of a known size in the frame to give one an idea of size.
Back in my Air Force days I lived and hunted in Florida for a couple of years and developed a hatred for poisonous snakes, especially the quiet ones. I feel much more comfortable in serious bear country than I do in serious snake country.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 5 days ago

I don't know if it's the biggest, but it's more than big enough for me...

from earthworker wrote 1 year 5 days ago

Im not sure if it's the biggest,but several years ago I saw one under a tree in Georgia that looked to be just as big. I was riding through some potential deer hunting property and spotted it from the truck. Got out to take a look and was met by the biggest white mouth Ive ever seen. I got back in the truck...

from Bow-king2010 wrote 1 year 6 days ago

That thing is huge!!! What state is it in?

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 5 days ago

I don't know if it's the biggest, but it's more than big enough for me...

from charlie elk wrote 1 year 4 days ago

from 1uglymutha wrote 1 year 3 days ago

from Bow-king2010 wrote 1 year 6 days ago

That thing is huge!!! What state is it in?

from earthworker wrote 1 year 5 days ago

from dek0609 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

from dek0609 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

If you look at 47 seconds is that a shotgun shell right beside the snake.

from Louzianajones wrote 1 year 1 day ago