The Survivalist Recent Posts

Survivalist

August 17, 2012
Survival Gear: The Weirdest Stuff That Should Be In Your Survival Kits And Bug Out Bag - 6

Opinions about survival gear and Bug Out Bag contents are as varied as political views these days. Everybody has their own version of the right stuff to carry and the wrong stuff to carry, and sometimes we just can’t seem to agree.

But what about the weird stuff? Those bizarre items that you might not think to carry. Most people don’t spend much thought on the unusual things that could be (or should be) in your survival kits and BOBs. Here’s my top five “under the radar” essentials:

5-hour Energy:
If you are a caffeine addict like me, then this little bottle of nectar will go down smoother than spinach in Popeye’s throat when coffee isn’t an option. When the chips are down and you are running out of steam, knock back an energy drink and keep plugging away. It also helps to stave off caffeine withdrawal headaches.

Cigarettes (even if you don’t smoke):
Think of all the smokers out there who would instantly become your best friend if you had spare smokes to hand out. They also make for good, lightweight tinder.

Vodka: You’ll get more bang for your buck carrying around a little bottle of hard liquor than a bottle of beer. This can serve as a wee nip you swallow for courage, or as a disinfectant as part of your medical gear.

Candy: Since vodka doesn’t solve every problem, keep some hard candy in your survival gear. Sugar is great short-term fuel, and a few sweets can lift the morale of both the grownups and the kids in a group.

A little notebook or journal: Rip out pages to make notes to communicate or signal for help. Take notes that could come in handy as your survival situation goes on. Keep your sanity by journaling during trying times. Use the paper as tinder. The list goes on.

So, what’s your essential gear that might be a little out of the ordinary? Please let us know in the comments.

More about bug out bags:

The Bug Out Bag

Survival Book Review: Build The Perfect Bug Out Bag

What to Pack for Emergencies: The Bug Out Bag vs. Get Home Bag

from Mario A. Dati wrote 51 weeks 15 hours ago

Deck of Cards, works as tinder, paper to write on, keep mind busy during down time, signalers if your cards are shiny on one side.

Bandanas for char cloth, and covers head without a visor blocking my vision, flag for signaling and to make trail for my partner to follow if I get separated.

Trick birthday candle stays lit longer than a match to help start fires and it can't be blown out. Wax is a waterproof sealer.

from Allison Burrell... wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Be careful with the feminine napkins. Get CVS brand. They don have the absorber stuff that will just PULL blood from your body, which is not what you want. You only want the sterile pad.

from Lauralee Olson wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Feminine hygiene pads.....I know weird right? The likelyhood you will need them for their intended purpose is pretty slim, especially if you're male, haha. I carry them in my emergency pack because they are sterile and super absorbent, they make great bandages if someone is injured severely.

from candesjbs wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

I carry hair scrunchies in mine and baby powder. I am not a big fan of hair in my face, and showers may be sparse. The baby powder can help with friction from lots of walking, it helps with sweating and you could use it in your hair as a type of dry shampoo. These may not seem like a big deal, but they will help reduce my stress in what would probably be an already stressful situation.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 47 weeks ago

I don't take Excedrin generally, but it is in my various first aid/survival kits due entirely for it's one stop shop of aspiring/acetaminophen/caffiene. One backpacking trip forgetting coffee and three pounding headache days later and caffeine in pill form is now on the list.

from JM wrote 1 year 47 weeks ago

I wouldn't really call it weird, but I always carry gum with me(for many reasons).

from Lauralee Olson wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago