Hoosier Mountain Lion Sighting Confirmed

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

May 18, 2010
Hoosier Mountain Lion Sighting Confirmed - 10

Just weeks after implementing a new department policy designed to consistently and systematically investigate public reports of mountain lion sightings in the Hoosier State, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Fish and Wildlife has confirmed the presence of a mountain lion in rural Greene County.

It marked the second time the department has confirmed the presence of mountain lions in the wild in Indiana, both times based upon photographic evidence.

In the most recent case, a trail camera recorded multiple images of a single mountain lion on May 1. In late 2009, DNR biologists investigated and confirmed the presence of a mountain lion based on a photo taken by a Clay County deer hunter from his treestand.

In both cases, biologists were unable to determine if the animals were wild or had escaped from confinement.

In announcing the confirmed sighting this week, the DNR explained that it plans to develop a consistent procedure to investigate reported cougar sightings and to institute a formal data collection and storage system.

“More than anything, it was prompted by increased reports of mountain lions migrating east, specifically out of South Dakota,” said Gary Langell, the DNR’s private lands program manager and developer of the mountain lion policy.

Langell noted the recent mountain lion sightings officially verified by wildlife agencies in neighboring Michigan and Illinois.

“At that point, it becomes more apparent we could have mountain lions show up in Indiana,” he said.

Since the policy’s inception on March 1, 19 mountain lion sightings have been reported in Indiana. The sighting in Greene County is the only one confirmed since the new procedures have been established.

Presently, mountain lions are a protected species in Indiana, but state law allows a resident landowner or tenant to kill an animal that’s causing damage to owned or leased property and livestock.

from Jake Nieten wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

My wife and I had a strange encounter where we were actually stalked at our campsite by a cougar throughout the evening. I am VERY familiar with the outdoors and have spotted cougars from Missouri to the Yukon Territory, CA. This being said, we had a mountain lion visit our campsite in Hoosier National Forest this year. We were very remote for Indiana. After floating down the Yukon River with grizzly bears (15-20 sightings and visits a day) and bull moose sightings/encounters every day last summer, this Indiana cougar experience made my hair raise more than any animal experience I've ever experienced. I know it sounds silly, but we ran the big cat off finally. Crazy. While most will choose not to believe, the fact is that big cats are returning to Indiana. Interestingly, we spoke to a DNR officer that just happened to be nearby the next day. The fact that a DNR officer was close by in the area where we camped at was interesting to me. Anyway…cougars are making a comeback; we later found out the spot was a den - this is why I don't want to disclose the location. We did get a picture of one in the Yukon - hard to do! www.yukonrivertrip.com.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

That's interesting BO, KENTUCKY F/W STATED for years there were no bears in K.Y. In 2009 there were confirmed sightings in 40 of the 120 counties here as we had our first modern bear hunting season.There has been a lot of people here now saying they are seeing mountain lions here as well.The K.Y FISH/WILDLIFE DEPT. say there are no big cats here, I guess that means we'll have a season on them here before to long.

from Bo wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

This got deleted due to a computer glitch, I am reposting. This will make Charlie's comment make more sense.
Why is it that the people who should be at the forefront with this kind of knowledge are usually the ones who deny the existence of the critters until there is extensive photographic evidence. I saw my first cougar in the wild in Oklahoma back in '77 or '78. I talked to a guy from the Wildlife Department... "No, what you saw was not a mountain lion, there are no mountain lions in Oklahoma." I saw the second one in '81. Again, I heard, "You are mistaken, it was not a mountain lion, it was a bob cat. There are no mountain lions in Oklahoma. I was stalked by one back in the late '90's. I found its tracks following the prints that I had put down going to my stand several hours previous to seeing it as I was going back to my truck. Later that day,I was talking to the land owner, who told me, "Keep your eyes out; there's a mountain lion down there in those mountains you are hunting in." He went on to tell me that the Wildlife Department kept saying that there were no mountain lions in Oklahoma. There has been one seen where I hunt now in South Central Oklahoma. I have not talked to the Wildlife Department about it. I know the drill. There are no mountain lions in Oklahoma

from Ishi wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I think large cats are more common than most think. I have personally seen two mountian lions in Ohio (nearly stepped on one). Most if not nearly all are escaped pets.

As exotic game farms flourish and the number of exotic pet permits grow you will see this more often.

I'm not sure about the Indiana cat though. I wish we could say the cat population is healthy and extending throughout the country or they are becoming more comfortable around humans but it's hard to say.

from MARINESNIPER44 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Why didn't he shoot the cat?

from boilerbigmouths wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

As a West Central Indiana resident I know there have been whispers of the presence of these big cats for quite some time. I haven't personally seen one in my 25 years but both my grandfather and father (two people who have spent plenty of time in the Indiana wilderness) have seen what they describe as a cougar multiple times in the last 20 years or so. We have always been told there were possibly "puma" sightings all around the state and it's good the DNR has decided to spend a little time researching what must have been an increased number of reports.

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Bo asks-
"Why is it that the people who should be at the forefront with this kind of knowledge are usually the ones who deny the existence of the critters until there is extensive photographic evidence?"

charlie thinks they have become cubicle experts. Spending most of their days in cubicles staring at computer screens and until the picture comes across their screen they are non believers.

Actually most "experts" these days are cubical experts. That is why you see so many headlines about whatever-
"Experts Surprised"
;-))
later,
charlie

from soulhunter wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

also in tip of VA. but nobody in game dept will admitmountain lion are here but dont explain what i seen.

from patrick88 wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

they have seen mountain lions in wva but nothing that well documented.

from Bo wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Bo asks-

"Experts Surprised"
;-))
later,
charlie

from Bo wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

from soulhunter wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

from Bo wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from boilerbigmouths wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from MARINESNIPER44 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Why didn't he shoot the cat?

from Ishi wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 44 weeks ago

from patrick88 wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

they have seen mountain lions in wva but nothing that well documented.

from Jake Nieten wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago