Ted Nugent Fined for Illegal Deer Baiting

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

August 17, 2010
Ted Nugent Fined for Illegal Deer Baiting - 24

Ted Nugent was fined $1, 750 and pleaded no contest last week for illegally baiting deer during a hunt on his television show “Spirit of the Wild.” The rock star and gun rights advocate used C’mere Deer, a high-end deer attractant, to harvest two deer in California where baiting for deer is illegal, according to the Appeal-Democrat, a local California newspaper.

Nugent also illegally shot an immature spike buck, but that charge was dropped after negotiations between his lawyer and the Yuba County District Attorney’s office. Also charged in the case were Mitchell Moore and Ross Patterson. Moore was a videographer for the show. Patterson owned the property Nugent hunted and he also spread the deer attractant.

The episode aired in March, and a California Fish and Game warden saw the hunt unfold. He "just about fell out of his chair" when he saw Nugent with the buck, Fish and  Game spokesman Patrick Foy told the newspaper. Since the episode was televised to a national audience, it seems that Nugent was unaware that he was breaking any game laws.

“Spirit of the Wild,” which opens with a song that tributes famous archer Fred Bear, airs on the Outdoor Channel. Nugent, a long time member of the National Rifle Association and hunting advocate, did not release a comment concerning the case.

from Derek St. Holmes wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Glad the Nuge settled this matter.

Now he can get back to his other favorite hobbies - shooting fish in barrels and marrying asian children.

from Uncle Wade wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Greeting hunters! I go to court tomorrow for "hunting over bait" in Va. because I put my camera and 1 cup of corn down before urban deer season to see what using the property I had permission to hunt. A neighbor called the GW who took pics of my camera and corn and came back after the season started to site me. I did not put out any corn after Sep 1st which is the law but since I hunted the property in less than 30 days I got a summons. No where in the states regulation can I find where I have to wait 30 days. I could lose my job over this since I need to keep a secret clearence where I work.

from Terry Moberg wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

"Uncle Ted" did not get off with nothing, he paid a fine, even if the amount is probably change for him, he did pay. The person the most responsible for this was the person whoose land they were hunting on. Do any of you really believe if Ted and his staff would have allowed this program to air if they knew they were doing anything illegal. Anyone who is a professional and have staff, rely on the staff to know or find out the details. Ted owned up and paid fine, that should be the end of it.

from Bull Elk wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

I have mixed feelings on this issue. On one hand, Ted has been a good ambassador for the sport of hunting and 2nd Amendment rights. On the other hand, any hunter worth his salt knows that all states have different hunting laws and it's the responsibility of each hunter to know, understand and follow those laws. Ted is no different than you or I. If you break a fish and game law, be prepared to pay the price for doing so. Don't blame CA Fish and Game wardens, they were only doing their job. That's what we pay them to do.

from Lynn Adams wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

Who in their right mind videos and airs a baited spike deer hunt? Ted broke the game laws and paid up,stupid, but done deal. Move on, don't screw up again. I doubt the claims of fair chase of many tv hunt shows, most I feel are baited hunts or staged. I'm tired of all of them. Keep up the 2nd ammendment fight Ted, but spare me the bambi hunts.

from markol wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

Having never ever made a mistake myself I can understand getting upset at Ted. I mean I've never missed reading a regulation or rule. There's only a couple in most states reg books anyway. And they are never confusing. Why I've never even thought of breaking the law, have you? Never ran a stop sign, never speeded. etc.etc.etc. During this time in history where we are losing hunter's at a frightening pace, just remember Ted took his lumps and payed the price. As for getting off on the spike, your town's bank roobers and murderers make plea deals every day with the DA's office and so would you if it were on the table.

from tpbesone wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

It's people like Ted and shows like his that cast a negative light on all hunters. As a visible part of the hunting community he should be even more aware of the delicate public perception of our sport. I've only seen a couple of his shows, but his style of hunting does not uphold the ethics and conservation of your average hunter. His "canned" hunts don't show the true fair pursuit of game that the rest of us follow. He shouldn't be given a free pass due to his celebrity and ethical hunters shouldn't condone his illegal and unsporting actions.

from Chaletaway wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Most of the "cleb" type always get away with every thing any way.
They should have re-doubled the fine just because of his stature in society , but we all know that'll never happen.
Just another slob getting away with trying to steal .

from rcmich wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Brandi - be careful claiming the high ground about knowing the law. I would bet you don't know as much about the laws in your own state (the only one you claim to have hunted) as you think. They aren't all published in the little hand out pamphlet you get with your license. I've been lucky enough to have hunted a couple of states besides my own with a guide. I would not begin to tell you that I know the other state's laws anywhere near as well as my own. So, you expect your guide to know their state laws and tend to follow your guide's lead, to a point. You don't expect the guide to put you in an illegal situation....but sometimes it happens. In this case, the land owner was also spreading the bait, implying that it was legal. Ted is one of the lucky ones to hunt all over the world. There is no way in he77 he, you, or anyone else, would know every law, in every area he hunts, or even the majority of them. Ted lives in Texas now and I believe baiting is legal there. Why would spreading bait in California set off an alarm in his head? He can do it all the time in his home state.

Ted messed up, paid the fine, life goes on. Go back and re-read RonCooley's comments - excellent food for thought!

from wtkjd2001 wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

This is a non-event. CA DFG has been known to push the envelope on baiting for years. It is legal (with permission) to hunt railroad right-of-way. However if rail cars drop grain which attacts doves, you will be cited for hunting over bait, if you get caught shooting them.

Worse, they could have filed a claim against him to confiscate all the personal property he used while 'poaching' including guns, ammunition, vehicles, etc. He did what any other red-blooded American would do - made a deal, plead no-contest and moved on.

from Brandi wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

While I certainly agree that nobody can know "all" the laws. Any responsible hunter will learn the most basic laws for the area where they are hunting. While I've only hunted in my home state I take the time to study the boundaries and laws specific to the area within that state. It's no different for hunting out of state. You stop and take the time to see if baiting is legal, if there is an antler size requirement, if orange is required, if caliber or magazine capacity limits are in place, etc..there is no excuse for not knowing these kinds of laws where you hunt except laziness or apathy. I suspect he was given leniency because of his name and a legal team. Had "Uncle Ted" really practiced what he preaches he would have stood up and took the punishment.

from RonCooley wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

As an avid outdoorsman & lawyer, I know no one can know all the laws. Ignorance of the law IS reality — even for lawyers. Yes, he, or his crew, should have reviewed the California game laws before the filmed hunt. That said, how many people review the applicable law before they do something? Have YOU read your stated motor vehicle law lately? I bet not!

So Ted was guilty. Even so, there is nothing here to suggest he got preferential treatment. In fact, if he was not a celebrity who's hunt was broadcast on TV he would never have been caught & prosecuted. It's normal when someone agrees to plead to a charge to dismiss other minor charges. It's also normal to cut a person a break if it appears they didn't know they were breaking the law. Nothing in this story shows Ted Nugent got "a by" because he's a celebrity.

I am thrilled to have such an iconic figure that speaks out in favor of hunting & against the antis. I'm standing with Ted & applauding most of what he has done for US. This event just shows he's not perfect. Who is?

from suburban bushwacker wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Maybe i'm just ignorant. Apart from making the american hunter look like bloodthirsty fool, what exactly has ted done for hunting?

Just askin' 'sall
SBW

from carvedecoy wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Sh%& happens! he is still number 1 on my kick ass Americans list! love me som Uncle Ted. Keep whackin em and stackin em!

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks' Guess I'LL keep quiet.

from The Great Onalaskan wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

He should have looked at the game laws.True,they bait the deer in hunting shows all the time,but just because he's a celebrity doesn't mean he should get out of the fine.And it's not like he doesn't have the money.A regular joe would probably get thrown in jail.

from pineywoods wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Oops! Got caught. Used bad judgement.
Even though Nugent is "on our side", I've never had much use for him. Did you ever see that show of his where he had those people on his farm doing disgusting and creepy things? That was semi-sick, and I'll have to admit that I got a little chuckle when he cut himself with a chain saw while he was showing off and trying to frighten the contestants. (I'm glad that it wasn't a bad cut.) He ain't my "Uncle Ted".

from Ishi wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

I remember Ted inviting Jim Zumbo onto his show after Jim's remarks about black guns. I saw a forgiving and understanding side of Ted I had never scene before.

I think he deserves the same from us.

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

ohh noo Uncle Ted isn't perfect!!!! But really who is? Was he spot lighting,did he have a group of guys circle the animals & drive it towards him so he could capture it on film,did he shoot it out of a helicopter or did he slaughter a semi load of deer hmmmmmm no. Should he get fined Yes, should we turn our back to him over a spike deer on his buddies private property hahaha no I'm sure he was eating it a few days later. Come on the antis are looking for any reason to divide us, we all know evreyone makes mistakes or even bad choices. This is just a wake up call the antis will point the finger at us like we are the bad guys soon as we make a mistake or bad choice, do you really support a anti big brother watching over our tradition are will you show a little backbone and stick together as we get slander! After all it was private property, its not like we was planning to hunt there anytime soon. California who would of thought!!!!!

from patrick88 wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

you know i dont understand why they are picking on ted.when 99 percent of these stupid hunting shows are baiting these deer in to the stand.and they are now just catching ted come on!this just goes to show how stupid these hunting shows and the dnrs are in these states.

from geauxlsu wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

As an admitted draft dodger and pedophile/statutory rapist, you’d think poaching would be the least of his sins. Get over the indefensible idol worship people! He is NOT good for hunting! He is a pathetic egomaniac.

from Johnnie wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" as the saying goes.
This puts a damper on Ted, his credibility is at stake. People who watch his show will begin to wonder what is real and what is set-up or illegal that he does. The feds will keep a close watch on him now, as if they don't already. It's too bad he has done this for he represents hunters and firearm owners everywhere. I'm sure certain sources will have a field day with what Ted did.
Unfortunately this has me looking at Ted in a different light.

from mb915 wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

I dont give him a pass. As much as I cant stand his approach to hunting, he is a great advocate for hunting.

Also that pisses me off that charges where dropped and that he allowed that to happen. As a hunter who obeys the regulations, being famous and being an advocate for hunting should not get you off charges for breaking the law.

Most people on this site and other sites complain all the time about people poaching a trophy class deer, or shooting deer out of season. What ted did is no different, just because it was a spike does not make the crime less important.

He should be willing to admit his mistake, and lets hope it was truly a mistake, pay the normal fines, have his license revoked in california, and be subject to what other first time offenders are subject to.

from seadog wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Tsk, tsk, Ted--should have checked the local laws. I'll give him a pass on this one, but maybe that's just the music fan in me talking. LOL

from mb915 wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from RonCooley wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from Johnnie wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" as the saying goes.
Unfortunately this has me looking at Ted in a different light.

from Ishi wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

I think he deserves the same from us.

from The Great Onalaskan wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from suburban bushwacker wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Just askin' 'sall
SBW

from Brandi wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from rcmich wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from pineywoods wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Oops! Got caught. Used bad judgement.

from 6phunter wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks' Guess I'LL keep quiet.

from seadog wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from tpbesone wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

from Bull Elk wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

from geauxlsu wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from www.dropjhook.com wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from wtkjd2001 wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from Lynn Adams wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

from Terry Moberg wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

from markol wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

from Derek St. Holmes wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Glad the Nuge settled this matter.

from carvedecoy wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

from Uncle Wade wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from Chaletaway wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Most of the "cleb" type always get away with every thing any way.
Just another slob getting away with trying to steal .

from patrick88 wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago