Alan Clemons is a full-time freelance outdoor writer who has worked in the news media industry since 1984. He has contributed to Outdoor Life and Field & Stream since 2001. Clemons previously worked with Grand View Outdoors, Deer & Deer Hunting, the Professional Anglers Association, Outdoor Wire and two newspapers in Huntsville, Ala., along with contributing to numerous other outlets.
- Enjoys hunting and fishing for anything that swims, flies, crawls, or runs
- Previous two-time president of Southeastern Outdoor Press Association
- Multiple awards from Alabama Press Association, The Associated Press, SEOPA, and others
ExperienceClemons began hunting and fishing more than 40 years ago thanks to the influence of his father, who at age 77 still pursues largemouth bass and crappie on Guntersville Lake. Clemons’ first fishing trips with his father were for smallmouth bass on Wilson Lake below Wheeler Dam. From waterfowl to whitetails, squirrels, rabbits, bass to bream, and saltwater species, Clemons enjoys the variety. On the water, a big frog on slop or a finesse rig in open water, it’s all good. From 1988-2013, Clemons had an award-winning career with three Alabama newspapers covering college, pro and high school sports, outdoor sports, and news. He was part of team coverage on a series about the health of the Tennessee River that was judged for the 1998 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service. His outdoor features were honored by the Alabama Sports Writers Association as best in the state multiple times. Clemons has hunted and fished in 30 states and Canada, Mexico, and Austria.
EducationClemons earned his Bachelor of Science in Journalism from Auburn University in 1989.
Fun FactClemons enjoys trail running and has completed more than 35 events from 10K to 25K. When he’s not abusing his feet and ankles on rocky trails, he enjoys traveling, good beer, and reading.
- Anti-Hunters Target New Hampshire Hunting Dog Trials Outdoor Life
- Sow Grizzly Travels 2,800 Miles Outdoor Life
- Georgia Red Grouper Shatters State Record Outdoor Life
- Idaho Hunter Discovers the Remains of a Bowhunter Who’s Been Missing Since 1968 Outdoor Life