User logins have been temporarily disabled for scheduled maintenance of the site. Please check back later.

Police Shoot Mountain Lion Just Blocks from Elementary School In Iowa

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

October 05, 2012
Police Shoot Mountain Lion Just Blocks from Elementary School In Iowa - 9

Police shot and killed a 6-foot-3-inch mountain lion inside the Des Moines city limits, just blocks from an elementary school yesterday morning.

Homeowner Jim Eagen alerted police to the large feline after almost running into the cat in his backyard.

“I come around the corner of the greenhouse where we have benches with plants ... I looked down and there he was, looking up at me,” the 65-year-old told the Des Moines Register.

Eagen said he eased back into his house to call authorities with the cat’s eyes watching his every move. Despite his explanation in a call to 911, Eagen says he doesn’t think the dispatchers immediately believed him. He told KCCI about the call: “He [911 dispatch] said 'what?' And I said 'I'm telling you what I saw, what I'm seeing.' ”

Sgt. Jeff Phillips was the first to respond. An avid outdoorsman, the sergeant knew what he was dealing with and made the quick decision to kill the cat as it tried to escape rather than wait for a tranquilizer gun to arrive. Police spokesman Sgt. Christopher Scott said Sgt. Phillips made the right call.

"The officers knew, due to the size of the mountain lion, that its escape would be of great danger to the public. The lion made a dashing move leaving officers no choice but to shoot the lion," said Scott.

Given the size of the lion and its proximity to a school I agree.

Don't you?

Comment below.

from DaBears wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

I agree with horsethief,

The officer did make the right decision. We should find a way to send the guy a free steak dinner and an ice cold beer for doing the right thing. It makes me happy to know there are good cops out there.

from DaBears wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

Large predators have no buisness around little kids. Obviously that California town values mountain lions more than children. That is what happens when you legalize marijuana :)

from horsethief wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

The officer made the correct decision. The lion was a threat to the area. The lives of the school children and the ordinary citizens are worth so much more than keeping a lion alive. Give that police officer an award for thinking quickly and clearly.

from bhosux wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

In California years ago when my sister's kids were young, they let a cougar roam around the school yard for a few weeks and the wildlife folks said there was nothing to do except keep the kids inside the school. Ridiculous, but the truth.

from Joe Wright wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

They nake a Fair lion burger !!

from MWK_MN wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

I've been noticing lot's of negatives on lots of threads. An anti must be thinking they are clever going around doing it. Doesn't bother me.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Judging by the -1s, there must be a mountain lion-loving tree-hugger roaming around the site. Probably too cowardly and/or stupid to actually have an intelligent discussion about cougars.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

You are correct MWK_MN, they are legal to kill here in Iowa. I wish one would wander by me while I'm deer hunting, it would make a heck of a trophy!

from MWK_MN wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

I agree. Here in MN you can't shoot them but I believe in Iowa hunters can. If your hunting near a populated area and see one I think they should be taken out.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

from horsethief wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

from MWK_MN wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

from MWK_MN wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

from Joe Wright wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

They nake a Fair lion burger !!

from bhosux wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago