California Man Loses Leg After Shooting Self During Bear Attack

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

December 28, 2012
California Man Loses Leg After Shooting Self During Bear Attack - 4

Somewhere, Dirty Harry is shaking his head in disbelief. An unidentified California hunter lost his leg Saturday when he accidentally shot himself.

The man was bear hunting with friends when the group treed a black bear.  When someone shot at the bear, it dropped from the branches above and charged the man. He drew his .44 handgun a little too erratically and blew a hole through his leg somewhere below his knee. Another hunter shot the bear and killed it.

The injured man was airlifted to Sutter Roseville Medical Center outside Sacramento where doctors tried to save his leg but were forced to amputate.

The hunter told Fox40 that he wanted to put the accident behind him and that he is grateful for the well wishes from his family.

from Sven_Katur wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Wow... I've heard of playing dead or rolling up into a ball, but shooting yourself in the leg is one bear attack strategy I'm not sure I would have thought up on my own (but I guess you can't argue with success ...)

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Hi...

From the info in your post, there was far too much going on to allow the victim to properly react.

Most unfortunate, but perhaps others might gain some insight from his experience.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery for the guy.

from huntfishtrap wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

What an idiot. How hard is it for some people to understand that you need to keep your finger off the trigger until you're aiming at the target.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I think there are a lot of people that carry handguns while hunting that have insufficient skills when under stress to handle them safely. I would probably include myself in that group and would rather carry a light rifle like a Marlin 336 or 1895. He's lucky he didn't hit one of his partners in the process.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Bob Hansen wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Hi...

My best wishes for a speedy recovery for the guy.

from Sven_Katur wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago