Survival Gear: What’s In A SEAL’s Survival Kit?
Masters of advanced planning and preparation, Navy SEALs are often trendsetters when it comes to gear and equipment. Earlier this...
Masters of advanced planning and preparation, Navy SEALs are often trendsetters when it comes to gear and equipment. Earlier this year, the Naval Special Warfare Development Group, AKA Navy SEALs, put out a request to vendors for 300 new survival kits. They were looking for a rugged survival kit, full of multi-use items that work in a variety of climates and situations. Here’s the list of the supplies they requested.
The SEALs wanted a hard case and a soft case to house their survival kit. The hard case should be able to act as a cooking vessel and a digging implement. The soft case should keep everything organized and quiet, with secure fasteners to close it and a Velcro panel to attach it to other gear.
The guts of this kit are diverse and down to business, including a number of survival tools and escape gear. There’s also a good amount of redundancy, too, which a smart idea when your life and the lives of your team may depend on such a small assortment of survival gear.
– A stainless steel mini multi-tool with pliers, a wire cutter, a file, and an awl
– A button compass and a suspended navigation magnet
– LED Squeeze Light with a red bulb
– Ferrocerium rod and four tinder tabs in a resealable bag
– 2-liter water container
– 40 water purification tablets and 2 electrolyte tablets
– Signal mirror (2 x 3 in.) with an IR reflective side and an aiming hole
– Thermal blanket
– 15 feet of Kevlar line and 24 inches of Kevlar thread
– 4 safety pins, 2 large steel and 2 small brass
– P-38 can opener
– 2 feet of 20-gauge steel wire and 26 inches of brown or green duct tape
– Fresnel magnifying lens
– 4 small sheets of waterproof paper and an ink pen
– Broad spectrum antibiotic ointment, moleskin (1.75 x 2.5 in.), and one cotton pad (2 x 2.5 in.)
– Hacksaw blade and ceramic razor blade
– Fishing leader/downrigger cable
– A second ferro rod and a wax-impregnated cotton ball
– Bobby pins, 2 small and 1 large
– Handcuff pick and universal handcuff key
What’s in your survival kit? Are you going to alter the contents it after seeing what the SEALs carry?