Tactical Shotgun: Is a 20 ga. Enough?

The Gun Shots Recent Posts

The Gun Shots

October 19, 2010
Tactical Shotgun: Is a 20 ga. Enough? - 8

A couple weeks back I flew down to Colorado to get a look at Weatherby’s lineup of new products for 2011. Included in the mix is the SA-459 in 20 ga. This shotgun is in Weatherby’s “Threat Response” family of guns — apparently if they use the word “tactical” in California Nancy Pelosi will emerge from her crypt and eat the soul of a child — and is geared toward the personal defense crowd.

I’m a big fan of personal defense shotguns. I have an 870 that I’ve modified with an extended mag tube, collapsible buttstock, 18-inch barrel and a Surefire weapon light forend for my home.

The A-459 is a nice gun with some good features. I like the pistol grip stock, the oversized charging handle on the bolt, and the ghost-ring sight perched on top of the Picatinny rail—though I found the comb has a bit too much drop in it for the elevated sights.

I also think the idea of using a 20 ga. shotgun for home defense in lieu of a 12 ga. is an interesting one. Certainly, the gun would be easier to handle for a woman or older child should the need arise, and for that alone it deserves consideration. Does the 20 ga. pack enough punch for your liking? I know I’d hate to get hit by a load of buckshot from one. Or would you stick with a 12 ga., hell or high water?

from nsp2of7 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I love this discussion and always pose this question, would you want to be shot with a 20ga? It think it would work perfectly!

from HawkEye wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

excuse me---- deterrent

from HawkEye wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

A 20ga is more than adequate for home defense or anything else for that matter with-in resonable ranges. In a home defense situation even a .410 would be fine. I would recommend a 20 or 12 though. But you can't argue the power of any shotgun within 20 yds. More than adequate to stop an attack and change the attackers mind. I prefer a pump. Just the sound of the action cycling is a good deterent.

from pineywoods wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

The twenty gauge should be plenty of protection or the home. I killed my first buck with one using #3 buck when I was twelve, and that was at a range considerably longer that any you'd find in a home defense situation. (I don't recommend that gun and load for deer hunting, but back in fifty-seven it was what I was given to use, and I actually killed three bucks with it in successive years.)
As has been mentioned, it's lighter and easier to handle than a twelve. If I were buying a new gun for home defense, I'd sure consider it.

from Unseenkiller wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

personally a fan of the .12ga for defenese i have a benelli supernova which has little recoil even when shooting 3 1/2 inch shells.

from Bo wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

I use a 20 ga Mossberg as my first line of defense for my wife; Improved cylinder choke along with #4 shot puts a large hole, along with a lot of small ones at any range that is comparable to what would be in our house. Seeing what it does to the targets that I have used... Yeah, it will be more than adequate. It has great penetration and the hole is big enough so that the biggest problem will be the cleanup after the incident...

from bigjake wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

In the close confines of home defense I believe the 20ga would be an adequate defense weapon.Its lighter recoil makes for faster follow up shots.

from bigjake wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago