1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup dashi
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
2 cups roughly chopped ramps
2 cups nettles
2 tablespoons bacon fat
3 strips of bacon cut in half to give you 6 half pieces
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl and stir.
- With a whisk, beat in the eggs and the dashi until you get a smooth batter.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the ramps and nettles. Stir until well combined.
- Heat the bacon fat in a non-stick pan over medium heat until the fat is just barely smoking.
- Pour half of the batter mixture into the non-stick pan and form into a flat pancake. While the first side is cooking, lay three half-strips of bacon on the uncooked side. When the edges are golden brown flip the pancake over and finish cooking. The fat from the bacon will render out and fry the other side.
- Continue cooking until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out dry and clean.
- Move the pancake to a serving plate and top with Okonomi sauce, kewpie mayonnaise, and bonito flakes. Repeat the process with the remaining batter and serve with an ice-cold beer.