Washington Hunter Kills 2 Mountain Lions With 1 Arrow

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

September 19, 2013
Washington Hunter Kills 2 Mountain Lions With 1 Arrow - 32

A Washington bowhunter went through 18 lives with one arrow on Monday when he bagged two mountain lions at the same time.

Ben Hendrickson, 36, of Spokane and his friend Rod Noah, 58, of Chattaroy had been hunting the woods of Pend Oreille County for elk when the cat fluke occurred.

The two had been hunting elk for several days with little luck. That situation changed Monday evening when Noah called in what he thought was a deer.

“I was nearby, but Rod was doing the calling, so they were homed in on him,” Hendrickson told the Spokesman-Review. When the “deer” raised its tail, Noah immediately recognized it as a cougar. With a lion tag in his pocket, Noah took the 32-yard shot. “I’ve never even seen a mountain lion in the wild,” Noah said. “I didn’t hesitate at the chance.” Noah took the animal with a broadside shot. Then he waited.

“Heck, I needed a few minutes to get my heart rate down,” Noah said. Despite the adrenaline rush, Noah knew his shot was good. “I was using a lighted nock and it looked like a flare going right behind its front leg,” he said. “The lion jumped and crashed through brush out of sight down the hill, but I knew I’d smacked him hard.”

The two men followed the blood trail even though they were both sure the lion went in the opposite direction. “I thought the lion had gone left, but a blood trail doesn’t lie, so we followed it straight down the hill,” Noah said.

Once they found the animal the two called a taxidermist who instructed them to bring the animal in immediately for skinning. As the two were dragging the cat up the hill Hendrickson noted that the wound on the animal didn’t match the shot he’d seen Noah take.

“We look at the cat and the wound is right in the middle of his chest,” Noah explained. “I said, ‘That’s not right.’” The men went back to the site where the cat was shot only to find another dead catamount not 15 yards from where it had been shot. That’s right. Noah unknowingly shot two cougars with one arrow.

“He hit both cougars with one shot and they ran a short way and died almost right next to each other,” Hendrickson said. This revelation presented a problem though as hunters are only allowed one lion per season. Hendrickson admits his first thought wasn’t very honest. “I had a tag and the first thought was for me to just tag it and that’s that,” he said. “But then we wouldn’t be able to tell the story, which is too amazing.”

The men called the authorities. “So we called the game warden,” Noah said. “I didn’t know how it was going down, but we figured that was the right thing to do.”
Washington Fish and Wildlife Department officer Severin Erickson arrived on scene in less than an hour, listed to the men’s story, then gave his seal of approval.

“Their story all checked out,” Severin said. “Technically, it would be double-bagging – two cougars with one arrow – but it was an honest mistake. Legally, they’re required to check in with us and they did. Officers have discretion in these cases. I had to give him a warning, but there was no citation.”

Honesty is always the best policy.

Congratulations, Noah. That was a one-in-a-million shot.

from Dave Martin wrote 18 weeks 19 hours ago

I cannot believe, having read so many uninformed posts, that any of the anti-hunting public have any clue as to what sportsmen, and women do for wildlife.
Without us, you would have no parks to walk through. Without us, you would see no deer,(Bambi) considering conservation dollars have brought deer levels back from devastation at the turn of the century. Also, with CWD, and other diseases ravaging the deer herd, hunters dollars are fueling the research needed to conserve a renewable source of pride, and protein.

from meadow_wind wrote 18 weeks 3 days ago

To all people who believe animals are trophies : you are all disgusting. I am not anti hunt, I am more of a mindset like native American : hunt only what you need to feed yourselves and respect nature. Animals are NOT trophies. And no, we do not need to balance nature by hunting them : nature balance itself. WE are the ones unbalancing nature by destructing natural habitat, pollution and abusive hunting techniques. I don't think this story is great at all, I think it is very sad and I doubt these 2 cougars needed to die. Shame on you

from superdough wrote 37 weeks 6 days ago

Great trophies and what a memorable hunt this will be. Congrats

from Alex Robinson wrote 41 weeks 7 hours ago

To all our regular readers: We apologize for the anti-hunting comments (many of which contained profane language) on this thread. We've done our best to delete them.

To all the anti-hunters posting hateful comments on this blog: Thanks for the traffic, but please try to express your ideas respectfully.

from Scott Stoyan wrote 41 weeks 2 days ago

I have been reading through all these previous comments and could not help but to add my two cents worth. Who are these people....CONGRATS ON YOUR TWO TROPHIES AND THANK YOU FOR BALANCING THE ECO SYSTEM...I can't begin to count how many deer and elk lives you have saved by taking these two preditors. I will also add good job on doing the right thing and do not listen to the previous 55 comments that try to drag you down....those are the same people that comment from their living room having never left the confines of their King County mini mansions but think they know how the world turns....CONGRATS YOU TWO!!!!!

from Scott Stoyan wrote 41 weeks 2 days ago

from Mary Alice Pollard wrote 42 weeks 13 hours ago

And excuse the typo, meant to be KIND - am shaking with anger and total disgust reading this - just looking at the state of him churns my stomach !

from vamda wrote 42 weeks 20 hours ago

this is how we define manhood? distance weapons against creatures that have no concept of the threat, or any way to defend against it or respond. What other manly activities do you engage in?

from wisc14 wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

my only gripe is that he didn't eat the lion, they are actually good eating and I personally am not a big fan of killing an animal just for a mount to show off to my friends and make myself look tough.

all the peta folks on here are just city slickers who don't have a clue where their food comes from

from Pete Braun wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

Only cowards devalue the importance of predators. And those two men are exactly that.

from JM wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

@Olivia,
Response to your points in order:
1. Morals are subjective. You say hunting is wrong, yet I am sure there are things you do that I would consider morally wrong. As you said, we all grow up in different cultures. Sadly, that is why it is so hard for hunters and non hunters to have a conversation because both sides feel they are 100% correct. As you can see, many of the people who share your non-hunting opinion verbally attacked this hunter and wished harm upon him...
2. The use of the word "we" shows your ignorance on the topic. Next time replace it with "I"...because many people disagree with your opinion.
3. Never base your opinion on one article...even after it has been stated that the article is missing key facts. No, the animal being killed is not the only difference. Mr. Hendrickson purchased a tag prior to hunting. I understand that you are against hunting, but the man did not break any laws. I am yet to see any pro-hunter verbally attack anyone on this thread...yet the majority of the anti-hunters that have posted on here have(Including you).
-You say intentionally harming someone is wrong no matter how you slice it, yet you take pride in sabotaging a hunt. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth; many hunters rely on hunting for food and money. You sabotaging a hunt would be like someone preventing you from getting to work or destroying your garden.

from JM wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

@Becky Ewens,
Ignorant comment...Hunters do not find joy in killing an animal.
-Also, do you know who else keeps trophies? EVERYONE. So I guess you have something in common with serial killers as well.

from JM wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

@Olivia,
That story and this one? NOTHING alike...
-This man paid for a tag and legally killed a mountain lion(and a second one by accident...mistakes happen in all aspects of life). The money spent on the tag will go towards protecting other wildlife(You can thank hunters for why many animal populations are going/have gone up).
-These are not 'small and weak creatures' These two cats could kill a deer or human with ease.
-True hunters do not find pleasure in killing an animal.
-You are the one verbally attacking a man without even hearing the full story...if anyone is a psychopath it would be you.
-Killed in painful and prolonged ways? Did you not read the article? Both of these cats ran a very short distance before dying.
-That quote has nothing to do with this article.

from Olivia wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

This reminds me of that news story about the teen who was charged with several felonies for bow hunting stray cats. What a massive outcry that caused, and here this man is getting slavering congratulatory articles written about him. Like that teen, Ben Hendrickson and Noah are savage, knuckle-dragging psychopaths who take pleasure from killing small and weaker creatures in painful and prolonged ways.

Both the teen and these hunters are monsters and deserve to be locked away, the only difference here is that Hendrickson's act of killing small animals for pleasure is protected and applauded by an unthinking, hypocritical public. Thomas Jefferson said "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Well I hope you barbarians like hunt sabs.

from Kat wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

We live in a sad terrifying world...

from JM wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

@Danelle,
Thanks for not even reading my entire post(or just ignoring it).
-Also, mountain lion populations are going up partially thanks to the money hunting generates...plus these are not 'kittens'

from huntfishtrap wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

I only have one thing to say about the profanity-laced comments below, and that is this: If you have to resort to cursing and hate-speech to get your point across, then the facts mustn't be on your side.

from Genisis FarAway wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

"I’ve never even seen a mountain lion in the wild", and thanks to the blood-lust that fills your empty soul, you probably never will again.
Hunters are despicable beings. No thought for the ecosystem you destroy.

from Carro wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Why did I turn against hunting? Because of people like this. He couldn't WAIT to kill this cougar, even thought it was a juvenile...and killing a second one, well, that's just a bonus. This had nothing to do with conservation, love of the outdoors, or anything else. It's simply a case of someone who enjoys killing for killing's sake. It's disgusting and contemptible. If I killed even one juvenile cougar by mistake, I'd be horrified...killing two would be even worse.

from DCM wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

It takes nothing to kill other living beings. It's the lowest humans go and is no "achievement." No "congratulations" to you for destroying precious life. They were just babies - and that makes you feel "manly," does it? Killing is sick and has no place in the kind of world we need. If you want congratulations, then do something to conserve Nature and the animals who depend upon it. We are here as stewards of the animals, not their destroyers. Step up and be a real man, love the wild and Nature and all of Creation.

from Lindsey Bradford wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war, or before an election.”
― Otto von Bismark

from Lindsey Bradford wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Those are very young lions, they aren't even old enough to have cubs of their own. No wonder the mountain lion population in this country is dwindling, hunters are killing these animals in their prime before they even have a chance.

from JM wrote 42 weeks 4 days ago

@rottonrod,
Congrats on your trophies. Sorry for my suspicion earlier; I was basing my opinion on the content of this article.
@Ellen Kessler,
You're pathetic. You have already lost if the only thing you can do is resort to cussing.

from rottonrod wrote 42 weeks 5 days ago

This is the guy that shot these two cougars. One thing huntfishtrap guy, Your magazine doesn't print all the story (all other magazines contacted me to verify the story) I took the time to range it and there wasn't anything behind it they didn't pass up a meal coming up to me because I was the next one. The back one must have been behind the big one in the low brush because he wasn't in the sight picture. You must not know how hard it is to see cougars in the wild now I do they blend in very well.

from JM wrote 43 weeks 1 hour ago

@Judy Nelson,
I trap, and I have caught coyotes that have chewed almost completely through their leg(never completely). I absolutely hate it, but if you saw what they have done to our livestock and pets(it would make a partially chewed through leg look like a scratch) maybe you would understand why it is necessary.
@huntfishtrap,
I agree. He said "I didn't hesitate" when referring to the shot which should hold him liable for killing more than what he had a tag for. On top of that I am not sure how you would not notice a second animal that was only 32 yards away(or after the shot because I doubt they were perfectly side by side as they ran away).

from Judy Nelson wrote 43 weeks 3 hours ago

I agree with huntfishtrap. But I hope he doesn't actually trap. Have you ever seen a live animal in a trap with its paw mostly chewed thru? I have(coyote)and anyone who thinks that is ok might be capable of harming humans and pets, also.

from huntfishtrap wrote 43 weeks 3 hours ago

I know this is going to unpopular, but in my opinion accidentally killing two animals with one arrow or bullet means you took an extremely unethical shot - i.e., one where you couldn't see what might be behind your target. What if there had been another hunter back there instead of a second mountain lion, for example?

from NorCalHal wrote 43 weeks 21 hours ago

Great story and memories. Thanks to you deer and Elk season should be considerably better next year.

from buckfan125 wrote 43 weeks 23 hours ago

I guess that's better than two birds with one stone!

from John Picard wrote 43 weeks 23 hours ago

Awesome story! great harvest! Your honesty is commendable, and I am glad the wardens of this state are good at their jobs for the most part:)

from Borowicz wrote 43 weeks 1 day ago

What a great mount the two together would make!

from dneaster3 wrote 43 weeks 1 day ago

what a cool story for these two hunters, and what a great exercise of professional discretion and transparency by the game warden. good guys win all the way around!

from Carro wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from Lindsey Bradford wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from DCM wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from Scott Stoyan wrote 41 weeks 2 days ago

from Alex Robinson wrote 41 weeks 7 hours ago

from Lindsey Bradford wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

― Otto von Bismark

from Genisis FarAway wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Hunters are despicable beings. No thought for the ecosystem you destroy.

from Kat wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

We live in a sad terrifying world...

from wisc14 wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

from Scott Stoyan wrote 41 weeks 2 days ago

from Judy Nelson wrote 43 weeks 3 hours ago

from huntfishtrap wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from JM wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

@Danelle,
Thanks for not even reading my entire post(or just ignoring it).

from Olivia wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

from JM wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

@Olivia,
That story and this one? NOTHING alike...
-True hunters do not find pleasure in killing an animal.
-That quote has nothing to do with this article.

from JM wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

@Becky Ewens,
Ignorant comment...Hunters do not find joy in killing an animal.

from JM wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

@Ellen Kessler,

from Pete Braun wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

from rottonrod wrote 42 weeks 5 days ago

from dneaster3 wrote 43 weeks 1 day ago

from Mary Alice Pollard wrote 42 weeks 13 hours ago

from Borowicz wrote 43 weeks 1 day ago

What a great mount the two together would make!

from John Picard wrote 43 weeks 23 hours ago

from buckfan125 wrote 43 weeks 23 hours ago

I guess that's better than two birds with one stone!

from NorCalHal wrote 43 weeks 21 hours ago