- This year's mallard population of 8.4 million birds was almost unchanged from 2009 and near a 10-year high.
- Pintails had a population of 3.5 million birds--the largest estimate for this species since 1997 and near a 30-year high.
- Record numbers of green-winged teal and redheads were surveyed this spring on major waterfowl breeding areas.
- Gadwalls and shovelers also remained at high population levels, and canvasbacks and American wigeon held near their long-term averages.
- This year's scaup population of 4.2 million birds was also unchanged from 2009 levels but significantly higher than their all-time low of 3.2 million birds in 2006.