The True Story Behind Viral Monster Mountain Lion Photos

Newshound Recent Posts

Newshound

April 15, 2013
The True Story Behind Viral Monster Mountain Lion Photos - 17

These photos of a massive mountain lion have circulated the web for months over email, forums, and social media. Rumors suggested it was killed in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho and who knows how many hunters have claimed by now that it was taken by a "buddy of a friend."

But the truth is that the cougar was taken by Rob Klein (right) in December on a hunt with Fraser Valley Outfitters in west-central Alberta. "I put the picture on my Facebook page and from there it just kind of went viral," Klein says. "The cat's been taken in 13 states by 25 different guys … I had a guy arguing with me on one of the sites saying 'No, you didn't shoot that cat, it was shot by a buddy of mine.'"

The viral nature of the photos is understandable, because the cat looks, well, enormous. For reference, Klein stands 6 feet tall and weighs 260 pounds. Klein says the lion weighed more than 200 pounds and has an official Boone & Crockett score of 15 4/16 inches (the world record cat scored 16 4/16 inches).

But for all the excitement surrounding the photos, Klein actually had pretty typical mountain lion hunt. They had located a big tom that the guides knew was in the area, boxed it in, and then tracked it in the snow. The guide was hesitant to cut his dogs loose at first because there were so many wolves in the area. When wolves hear hounds baying, they'll charge in and try to kill the dogs.

When they thought they had gained enough ground on the cat, they cut three hounds loose and the chase was on. After about 30 minutes, the dogs had the tom treed at the bottom of a huge creek gully. It took Klein and the guides about an hour to hike through the snow and over scattered deadfalls down to the cat.

"It was a nightmare of a place to get into, it wasn't pretty that's for sure," he says. From there, a single shot from Klein's .270 short mag. brought the mountain lion down.

"That was the first cat I've ever harvested," Klein says. "I've chased elk, mule deer, and bears, but this was by far the most exciting hunt I've ever been on. Prior to the hunt I thought that you just walk in on the cat and shoot him and it's all yippee kaya ... but these don't cats just sit in trees. There's the possibility that they'll jump trees, come down and fight the dogs, hunters have even been stalked on some occasions."

Maybe the most interesting fact from Klein's hunt is that they first cut the big cat's track just outside of a semi-suburban area.

"In the country where we first cut the track, kids could have been out there waiting for the school bus," Klein said.

More Web Rumors Busted by OL

The Real Story Behind the Infamous "Alberta Grizzly"

The Massachusetts Mystery Wolf Photo

This is NOT the Next World Record Elk

Mystery Pennsylvania Buck Rumors Busted

from Sal King wrote 17 weeks 19 hours ago

Real hero's chasing a cat with dogs then killing it while it cowers in a tree. Give me a %#$÷=!/ break.

from Sal King wrote 17 weeks 19 hours ago

from 6phunter wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Instead of condeming opposition post to cat hunting it seems logical to educate those that just don't understand why there are seasons in the first place.To insure that animals and not just game animals continue to have a place in this world,sportsmen and women have through the years past and continue to oversee healthy populations.APEX predators such as this magnifcent lion can only survive through sound game mangement.

from RV John wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Very good questions: Why hunt them? Because otherwise they eat approx 1 deer or equivalent each week. Without management we wouldn't have deer. 2) Are they any good to eat? Absolutely! They are just pork without the fat. Some of the belly can get a little gamy tasting like peacock is, but all of gets eaten. Any meat that is too tough, I use it in a breakfast sausage, or one of my wife's favorites, is Mtn Lion Ravioli's with a white wine cream sauce...Absolutely Phenomenal. I would probably see them differently if they helped manage the 25,000 extra non-native feral horses here in Nevada, but they have minimal effect. Some idiots call these horses "wild", when they are NOT found in any pre-historic Native American petroglyphs. they were just released into the wild by folks that either didn't need them anymore, or couldn't afford to take care of them anymore, and now have a major impact on "Native American Wildlife" Hopefully we can get these feral horses on the meat market again!

from Laume702 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

If you are hunting for meat that is one but to kill just to be killing when this animal is not bothering farms or people it is another.

from FurIsFlyin wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

@ Maz - Cat is edible? What the heck does that taste like - chow mien? I've tried all kinds of critters but never cat...as far as I know ( Chinese food!?)

As far as Evelyn goes, she obviously was not raised in a normal American home. Most city dwellers have lost the American. My family, from LI-NY, did not hunt, except for the occasional squirrel on the roof that was living in the house. I grew up with rifles. I am a woman. City dwellers are taught guns are to kill people. Outside the city we are taught guns are for sport and critters first. However, when I was 20 my Dad's rifle stopped a major attack by 3 men when I was home alone! Next day I had my own gun and learned how to use it.

Evelyn - stay off these sties. You will never understand and we will never understand you. I do not like killing animals. I have a herd of deer living on my property. I have had numerous families of crows raised on my property. Pheasants moulted on my property. Owls live in my trees. I have feral cats. I rescued an abused dog and spent a fortune to fix him. I love venison, turtle soup and gator. I hate wild boar. There is a whole world out there that you refuse to explore. To me, your life is boring.

To the hunter who bagged this cat - I am more concerned about your dogs than anything else. Is it really necessary to put them in harms way like this? That's one thing that has bothered me about hunting. If you are hunting for food that you absolutely need, then you use the dogs to shorten the hunt. But as a sport it seems unfair to the dogs. They don't know what danger they are being put into. It's not their choice. Somebody please explain. Thanks.

from minzwa wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

You know Evelyn, posting about how superior you are to hunters who are just serving their "egos" is simply your way of serving your own ego.
We hunters are the largest supporters and lovers of wildlife by a factor of 10 to 1.
Our fees and dollars are the very backbone of what makes it possible for you camera clickers to even see the wildlife you take pictures of from your car.

from 4everAutumn wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Evelyn: You lack education in hunting as a conservation tool and therefore not worthy of comment. You stumbled onto the wrong site and will sway no one with your emotion based sentiment. Rudi and 4Colorado: You claim to be “Hunters”, which I find questionable at best. If you were hunters, you would be aware of the fact that mountain lion is excellent table fare. You say you have never hunted for anything but meat. Have you ever tacked a deer rack on your wall after shooting a buck? Have you ever taken pictures? If so, you are both hypocrites. Eating an animal’s meat does not preclude the enjoyment of the trophy.

from LovesOutdoors wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Rob, Congrats on your monster cougar. Your going to get a few complaints from the Humane Society , the Peta nuts and the bambi lovers. The hunter Fraternity is with you hundred percent. There may be one or two hunters who are sour grapes.
Evelyn, In the Orient they eat house cats and dogs. The next time you stop in a Chinese’s restaurant and order General Chows Chicken it just may be house cat, instead of chicken. Pass the soy sauce, please.

from 4colorado wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I also grew up with hunting in a family that used the meat and never ever killed for a "trophy". Could not agree with Rudi more.

from rcmich wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Rudy and Evelyn, please learn to use an internet search engine and check out "eating mountain lion meat" before you make ignorant statements like "no one eats mountain lion, do they?" Yes they do.

You must be first cousins to the other "experts" that inform us that no one hunts with "assault rifles". Yeah, we do.

So please do us all a favor and either educate yourselves of what you speak, or shut the he77 up.

from Rudi Prohaska wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I've hunted all my life, but this I don't get at all. Why kill the cat? Surely no one eats cat-do they? Seems such a waste of life to kill for a trophy -- I guess as I get older I find life a little more precious.

from JamesNCV wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

@Evelyn Myers
You must be lacking in a certain department; between your ears.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

"Hi, my name is Evelyn Myers and this is my very first post. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew how ignorant and condescending I am before I go back to the Sierra Club forums where I belong."

"You aren't going to eat it." - Really? Did Mr. Klein tell you that? Most of my friends eat their cat after it's been harvested, and those that don't donate to people who do eat it.

"This cat posed no threat and it was hounded to the point where it had no chance." - How come you aren't in the pictures Evelyn? Because you sure make it sound like you were there.

Also please read the article, particularly where it states where they first began tracking the cat "just outside of a semi-suburban area." With this in mind it's impossible to say the cat poseed no threat.

from Evelyn Myers wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

'Congrats'? Are you kidding me? I will never understand how you so called men get your rocks off shooting an animal for sport. You aren't going to eat it. What a waste of life. Surely you all must be lacking in a certain department. This cat posed no threat and it was hounded to the point where it had no chance. Hardly sporting or fair. What a disgrace. You should be ashamed.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Yep, I've seen this cat a couple times when friends sent it to me. Nice to finally know the facts. he is a big one.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

That's a huge and gorgeous tom, congrats to Mr. Klein. I'd heard a lot of exaggerated size/weight stories online with this photo as well, but regardless of any inflated numbers or photo tricks these guys used you knew this was a big tom. Look at the size of his head! Looking at his melon in relation to his ear size/placement lets you know right off the bat this is no juvenile lion.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from JamesNCV wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

@Evelyn Myers
You must be lacking in a certain department; between your ears.

from MazPower wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago